PDA

View Full Version : Wizard burb fishing, and update.

Tyangelo
02-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Went out myself to Wizard today, across the lake of the boat launch, by the weedbed. Started around 4:45 pm. Had one small hit, probably a small jack. By the time it was dark, saw a few what were more than likely perch on the flasher. Not a single thing other than that. 15 FOW. Left around 8 pm

Was shooting to bring home a couple burbs. Was using glow jig heads and smelt.

What could I be improving on to up my burb rate....heh.

Also, the lake is in good shape. Could drive on with any truck, but I walked on, (have a car) Nice hard pack on top. 18" of ice easy.

780sjc
02-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Went out myself to Wizard today, across the lake of the boat launch, by the weedbed. Started around 4:45 pm. Had one small hit, probably a small jack. By the time it was dark, saw a few what were more than likely perch on the flasher. Not a single thing other than that. 15 FOW. Left around 8 pm

Was shooting to bring home a couple burbs. Was using glow jig heads and smelt.

What could I be improving on to up my burb rate....heh.

Also, the lake is in good shape. Could drive on with any truck, but I walked on, (have a car) Nice hard pack on top. 18" of ice easy.

Has that spot always produced for you? Sounds like you were doing everything right. my favorite spot on the lake that has given me a ton of burbs and more pike than i can count is down past the boat launch to the right. If you go down a couple hundred yards into the last bay before the homes start on the north side out from the shore maybe 20 30 yards at most as wizard drops off real fast.

good luck

Tyangelo
02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Had good luck with pike over there too. How many FOW should I be looking for?

780sjc
02-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Had good luck with pike over there too. How many FOW should I be looking for?

I don't usually run electronics so idont have an exact depth but where I've been fishing my guess is it's between 15-20 FOW. I can never see the bottom. Wizard can be quite murky at times.

Tyangelo
02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Yep. Bottom is hard to make out 12 FOW plus, usually. Try there tonight maybe. What'd be the best way to hook the smelt to the jig head by the way?

780sjc
02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Yep. Bottom is hard to make out 12 FOW plus, usually. Try there tonight maybe. What'd be the best way to hook the smelt to the jig head by the way?

Depends on the mood I'm in lol. If your using just a minnow I'd weave it on like a jig body but if I'm running bigger smelts i just often run it through the spine or up through the top of the head to give it as much swimming action as possible.

biggamehunter
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok if you wanna catch alot of pike when you get to the boat lauch take a right and drive about 1km down the lake shore. Drive out about 60 yards from shore and drill your holes their. It should be about 25 feet deep and the pike go crazy! Use a pickeral rig with smelts and your in for about 25 hits per hour.

Dust1n
02-10-2011, 09:15 PM
how big are they im guessing hammer handles?