PDA

View Full Version : RAP in Action!

OutwardBound
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Danni and I were out at Pine Coulee last night fishing. There were prob 4 vehicles at the boat launch, the 2 in the middle left later in the evening. About 8:00 a truck comes flying onto the lake pulls right up to the other guy that is still there fishing.

It was F&W, they spent about 45 mins at their site and were looking around every where. Those guys they pulled up at, packed up their stuff and left and F&W pulled up to check our stuff.

Tolds us they got a call from RAP that someone was keeping Walleye. They got their fish confescated and fined. we have been checked by the one officer before, good guy usually has some tips as well.

Good on the guy who was fishing next to them and called RAP, and good job on the 2 F&W officers for acting on it.

FYI - fishing was kinda slow, 1 burb and a few Walleye.

Dustin

nicemustang
02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Sometimes the system DOES work. Thank godness.

BobLoblaw
02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:
Good to hear! Dang poachers!!!

Bandits567
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I just talked to the F & W guys and they stated that they seized 4. They appriciate the complements to boy keep them comming.

mooseknuckle
02-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I just talked to the F & W guys and they stated that they seized 4. They appriciate the complements to boy keep them comming.

Got to hit these guys in the pocket!! 4 illegal fish! I know at wab that would cost you $2000 bucks!

Photoplex
02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Got to hit these guys in the pocket!! 4 illegal fish! I know at wab that would cost you $2000 bucks!

Should have confiscated their gear and truck too.

iliketrout
02-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Kudos to those involved.

Now how would a guy get the phone number for the CO/CO's around Travers? I think that I will be making a few more calls this spring and it would be nice to talk directly to the guy who will be coming to the lake.

PM me if you have the info and don't want to post it.

Rockymtnx
02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Great to see RAP in action. Lately with the lack of funding RAP has got some bad publicity and some people are loosing faith in it.

OutwardBound
02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure what office Travers would be located out of. We have ran into these F&W guys a few times, all around the Claresholm office. I'm guessing Travers is prob on the boarder of these guys area or another F&W office. Maybe why you don't see them there a lot.

I know I have been checked out at Clear lake, Pine Coulee, and Twin Valley a few times, but never at Travers. They did say even if they can't respond to a RAP phone call, they are all documented and if an area get lots of reports they will start stepping up random checks to those areas.

So, I would say even after that fact, if you see poaching, because of the poor cell service at Travers, call anyway's just so they are aware there is an issue.

Dustin

LeonH
02-11-2011, 02:43 PM

I talked a bit to F&W at Long Lake last year after being checked. He told me that the fine for illegal fish was (if I remember correctly) is like $100 and for every fish thereafter is $10 or $20 per fish.

Now he did tell me that walleye it is a whole another story as it is deemed protected spices. He gives poachers a ticket to appear in court right on the spot and then it is up to a judge to determine the final fine amount. There had been occasions where it goes $1000/fish.

bubba 96
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I was in court in brooks fighting a speeding tix last year, and I saw 3 guys in front of the judge they were caught with 10 wallys from crawling valley, the judge asked the 3 of them whos fish they were 1 guy puts up his hand as i dont think they spoke english all that well, and the judge slapped him with a 300 dollar fine for 10 fish and let the 2 other guys go... Kinda makes ya think all the co's work was for nothing if there not gettin a heavy fine...So between the 3 guys it was a 100 a piece...cause you know damn well they were all poachin..:mad0030:

fish_e_o
02-11-2011, 03:46 PM
i'm going to troll everyone at pigeon lake and use my walleye tags. then put the fish tag down in the snow maybe cover the tag with snow a bit..

iliketrout
02-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure what office Travers would be located out of. We have ran into these F&W guys a few times, all around the Claresholm office. I'm guessing Travers is prob on the boarder of these guys area or another F&W office. Maybe why you don't see them there a lot.

I know I have been checked out at Clear lake, Pine Coulee, and Twin Valley a few times, but never at Travers. They did say even if they can't respond to a RAP phone call, they are all documented and if an area get lots of reports they will start stepping up random checks to those areas.

So, I would say even after that fact, if you see poaching, because of the poor cell service at Travers, call anyway's just so they are aware there is an issue.

Dustin

Thanks Dustin, will do. I'd love to see these guys get caught!

Wes_G
02-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Nice to know some of those types do get caught. Not to sure why you would want to keep a walleye from that lake anyway with the mercury warning. I know you can safely eat a certain amount, but there is something about knowingly eating fish that are toxic to me that makes me loose my apetite for them.

SushiUnagi
02-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Awesome news to share!

Hornaholic
02-12-2011, 04:15 AM
Danni and I were out at Pine Coulee last night fishing. There were prob 4 vehicles at the boat launch, the 2 in the middle left later in the evening. About 8:00 a truck comes flying onto the lake pulls right up to the other guy that is still there fishing.

It was F&W, they spent about 45 mins at their site and were looking around every where. Those guys they pulled up at, packed up their stuff and left and F&W pulled up to check our stuff.

Tolds us they got a call from RAP that someone was keeping Walleye. They got their fish confescated and fined. we have been checked by the one officer before, good guy usually has some tips as well.

Good on the guy who was fishing next to them and called RAP, and good job on the 2 F&W officers for acting on it.

FYI - fishing was kinda slow, 1 burb and a few Walleye.

Dustin

Mmmmmmm Pickeral!!!!!!!!

gprime27
02-12-2011, 04:33 AM
glad to hear this.. Nice to see people getting charged for illegally keeping fish :) The old one two :fighting0030:

calgarygringo
02-12-2011, 06:02 AM
When you get checked don't be afraid to ask the guys for their business card. I always have a few of them in my little case with my license. The guy that covers Crawling Valley even gave me his personal cell to call and hand wrote it as well. They always have a pocket full of cards if the conversation is right and they are glad to pass them out to those that will help.

ULTRAlite
02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
good news!

glad to hear success stories after so many sneaking through.

baitfisher83
02-12-2011, 02:54 PM
They wouldn't happen to of been driving blue silver or white SUVs were they?

OutwardBound
02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
No, I think they had a light blue Ford F-150

baitfisher83
02-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Ahh new poachers then.....was out there a few weeks ago and the CO couldn't get there fast enough from Claresholm.