PDA

View Full Version : Kid hooks a big one.

firegod74
02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I got an underwater camera for Christmas that comes with a monitor so you get a live feed of the bottom of the lake.
Yesterdays trip happened in the daylight. You could see the bottom very well. Burbot were swimming by constantly. We caught a couple, and it was really cool watching them take the hook. The other picky bastards were not so fun. The ones you could see sitting right in front of the hook and not biting. Walleye swimming past like they had not a care in the world. You could bang them on the nose with it and it didn't matter. All I wanted was on more. A burbot a walleye, I didn't care, just one more fish so we had a meal for 4.
I was almost ready to call it a day, when HE showed up. Jack, Pike Slough Shark, whatever you want to call them, Albertas baddest predator fish came in to the screen. SHOWTIME!
I got my oldest boy to jig his hook, ZOOM! Just as he jigged the fish darted forward. And due to the jigging action he had missed. Then it looped around and came to son #2s hook. HOLD IT STILL! I cried. Not wanting a repeat of the first time. This time old jack just sat down. His belly on the bottom of the lake. Inches from the hook. Mouth open he just sat there.... Nothing could make him go the last two inches....
Off it goes. I can't believe it. This underwater monster so close and then gone. NO NOT GONE! here he comes again! His target NOT the hooks, but my camera! He came straight at the lens and CHOMP!
the screen goes all shaky as he tries to eat it. It finally settles down after he spits it out. Where is he? THERE HE IS! And he is MAD! He came in hard and this time BANG! Boy #1 sets the hook and the fight is on. 20 Minutes later we get it up the hole. A 13 pound jack fish. The kids are tired I'm tired. The camera is tangled all around jack the fish, and my fingers are bleeding.
My son has now out fished me at 11. I have never caught one that big. And to see it all unfold right before our eyes....

BEST FISHING DAY EVER! :sHa_shakeshout:

I am just so glad that kid caught it he was using one of those little open face ice fishing rods. Thee 8 year old was using one of those cheap plastic things with no drag. I think the rod and everything would have been gone.

flygirrl
02-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Just way to much fun, great story and glad to see the kid outfished ya.. Keep up the good work..

Dust1n
02-11-2011, 02:18 PM
great story cant image the look on there faces as it pulled up from the hole

gramps73
02-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Congrats to your boy, watch the kids face when they get hooked up never gets old...

WayneChristie
02-11-2011, 06:37 PM
sounds like a great day, I love watching them on the cam, kids will definitely be hooked for life now!

horsetrader
02-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Great story not one you or your boy's will soon forget

MoFugger21
02-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Sounds like a great day!! Congrats!

Jwood 456
02-11-2011, 07:38 PM
The good times. Congrats

Fishhunter
02-12-2011, 09:27 AM
nothing like a good heart pounder to "hook"a kid for life on fishing! Way to go!

firegod74
02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
My only regret was no camera. The underwater thing doesn't record. I didn't even have my cell to take pics with. I got some on an old SLR film job once I got home. But its not the same as on the lake.

rielbowhunter
02-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Great story, loved it. congrats to your son.