PDA

View Full Version : govt sniper ammo?

wolf308
02-11-2011, 03:24 PM
you see military ball ammo for regular rifles, especially the cz/ak 7.62 ammo,i was wondering if it were possible to buy canadian and or american (m118 i think) 7.62x51 nato/308 win sniper ammo???? or is that pretty much impossible

ShawnM
02-11-2011, 03:31 PM
All you're looking for is a cartridge with a full metal jacket bullet. You can get the .308 NATO by the crate for peanuts.

cujo1969
02-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Wheres can wwe get this ammo in crates for peanuts?

Gonehuntin'
02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
7.62x51 ball is available, but I would hesitate to call $1.00 or better a round "peanuts". And that's not the match grade ammo you are looking for.That's significantly more dough.

BallCoeff.435
02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
If you need particularly accurate 308 ammo, assuming your system can take advantage of it, it will have to be customized to your rifle in addition to consisting of top grade components.

That will mean lots of enjoyable hours and effort working up accurate hand loads - which once you get there, will also be the cheapest way to get accurate ammo.

So Nova *!%
02-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Win 180 gr PP T/C venture 400 yrds bbl lung top of heart (as an added perc. managed to go between ribs on in and out side) have tried to add the pic but it is a nice little 4x4
Even at the $28.00 / box thats not bad for " sniping" (which as hunters we don't do its marksmanship which takes practice)

Cappy
02-11-2011, 10:08 PM
It's pretty tough to track down surplus sniper ammo as most of it is being used in training. That being said M118lr comes up periodically down south, but you can't bring it across the border. If I remember correctly Canadian 7.62x51 ammo for the C3's was Norma match ammo. Commercial match grade ammo isn't that cheap and unfortunately in Canada there doesn't seem to be a company around that makes cheaper match grade ammo like Black Hills or HSM.

aakoksal
02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
If you need particularly accurate 308 ammo, assuming your system can take advantage of it, it will have to be customized to your rifle in addition to consisting of top grade components.

That will mean lots of enjoyable hours and effort working up accurate hand loads - which once you get there, will also be the cheapest way to get accurate ammo.

Military doesn't make custom ammo for each of their sniping rifle. They use very expensive match grade ammo purchased in large quantities...

Besides, they do their purchases as a whole shooting system; i.e. rifle, scope, ammo, ballistic calculation tools, etc...

Civilians often don't have access to some individual components, so they have to go with the route you've perfectly explained.