PDA

View Full Version : 2 piece PAL license

Cowtown guy
02-12-2011, 08:46 AM
I can't seem to find the paper piece to my PAL. What kind of hoops do I have to go thru for this?

Anyone had this happen to them?

huntinstuff
02-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I dont understand. The PAL is just a card alone, like a credit card

Cowtown guy
02-12-2011, 09:29 AM
There was a second piece to it. Kind of like a signature card. I could have sworn that it said something along the lines of this is the second part of your two part license.

Hopefully I'm mistaken.

I also had a fella chatting to me about it in Bass Pro a while back. That what made me think to look for it.

gitrdun
02-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I've never heard of a two piece PAL. As huntinstuff mentions, it's just a one piece plastic card as I've always had.

eastcoast
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I have one it's a little piece of paper about the same size as a gun registation that you are supposed to carry with you aswell,I have it in my wallet but it's probably not real important unless the cop/srd officer gets real anal about it.

Cowtown guy
02-12-2011, 09:41 AM
The reason I am concerned is because of my trip to Africa. If I get somewhere and they ask for it then what?

I'm gonna call the CFC on Monday.

elkhunter11
02-12-2011, 09:43 AM
There was a second piece of paper that came with my PAL ,that supposedly listed any special limitations,or restrictions,if you had any.I didn't have any,so I tossed the card.

huntinstuff
02-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Thats new to me .....if you have your card you are good to go

sheephunter
02-12-2011, 09:45 AM
The reason I am concerned is because of my trip to Africa. If I get somewhere and they ask for it then what?

I'm gonna call the CFC on Monday.

All you need is your plastic card. The only time you'll be required to produce it is upon your return to Canada.

Cowtown guy
02-12-2011, 09:47 AM
There was a second piece of paper that came with my PAL ,that supposedly listed any special limitations,or restrictions,if you had any.I didn't have any,so I tossed the card.

I hope that is why I don't have it then. Here's to hoping...:scared0018:

huntinstuff
02-12-2011, 09:49 AM
On the back of your pal it lists your classifications ie: non resticted, restricted etc. That is all you need

Sputnik
02-12-2011, 10:06 AM
The document you are speaking of is the Contitions-Possession and Acquisiton CAFC 1015 EF (2004/12/09).

And it states on the reverse:

" Special Conditions (continuted) Carry this document with your licence card as you must be able to produce this document on demand if requested by a peace officer or other authority."

No where on the document does it define whether or not you need special conditions, but the statement is pretty clear.

I once asked the Alberta CFO office if I needed to carry this even if I had no "special conditions" and the answer was yes. In fact he was even surprised because the wording is so vague and most people just discount it.

I carry mine, and suggest you get an opinion of the CFO office, in writing that you don't need to carry it.

Just saying!

benamen
02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I remember reading that the paper portion must be kept with the PAL at all time, so I have always kept the two together. Only way to prove whether or not you have any special conditions. Wish they would just print any conditions on the card. Paper does not hold up well in the wallet.

M70
02-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I think that's the Saskatchewan PAL.

AB2506
02-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Never heard of this before. I have my renewal in, and it should be coming here soon. I will look for this closely. I've always just had a plastic card like a driver's licence.

pseelk
02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
It lists special conditions of your Pal on the top of the paper Mine for examaple says ,Conditions-Possession Only,In bold letters.

So Nova *!%
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM

LOL sask pal
"carry this document with your license card as you must be able to produce this document on demand if requested by a peace officer or other authority"
this is right off the paper part of the pal.

Okotokian
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Yup, I have that paper peice as well. Why can't they just put the special conditions right on the plasticized card like they do with your driver's licence? Defeats the purpose of having the plasticized card in the first place. Might as well just make it all paper and save money.

Pudelpointer
02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
For you guys that are saying you have this piece of paper - is this only for POLs? I never received any conditions paper with my recently renewed PAL.

So Nova *!%
02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
For you guys that are saying you have this piece of paper - is this only for POLs? I never received any conditions paper with my recently renewed PAL.
Never had someone pass me down a gun so I was in need of a PAL and
X2 on the "all on the plasticized card " that damn little piece of paper is like unwrapping the dead sea scrolls after about a month in my wallet:angry3:

Bushrat
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Just received my renewed PAL and there is no paper with any conditions that came with it.

geo
02-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I had no little paper with mine. I actually still have the paperwork that it came with and there is no little card or other paper I need to carry. Just the sheet it came on. Weird....

deanmc
02-12-2011, 04:05 PM
The paper came with mine. No restrictions on it but it said it had to be carried. I have washed and dried it. lol

So Nova *!%
02-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I get asked for it when buying a new gun from a shop, onlines different they just need your number.
I would hazard a guess that if everyone that is getting their new(renewed) cards don't have it then someone got wise and did away with it:47b20s0:

Okotokian
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Just received my renewed PAL and there is no paper with any conditions that came with it.

Wasn't it stuck with some sort of gum to a sheet of paper? It didn't just come by itself, did it?

OLD JOE
02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
just renewed my restricted pal. got the MUST also CARRY paper as well. i keep photo copies of my regies,ltatt and firearms licence in my vehicles and another set in my pistol cases. don t leave homewithout them. saves alot of headaches . keep all originals in the gun safes. :sHa_shakeshout: OLD JOE ON THE PACIFIC OCEAN:shark:

OLD JOE
02-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I had no little paper with mine. I actually still have the paperwork that it came with and there is no little card or other paper I need to carry. Just the sheet it came on. Weird....

Right below where your PAL was attached to the sheet ,is a dotted line. it says cut and carry this with your licence. MAKES no SENSE:argue2: IFits blank(no conditions or restrictions) old JOE:argue2:

So Nova *!%
02-12-2011, 06:12 PM
just renewed my restricted pal. got the MUST also CARRY paper as well. i keep photo copies of my regies,ltatt and firearms licence in my vehicles and another set in my pistol cases. don t leave homewithout them. saves alot of headaches . keep all originals in the gun safes. :sHa_shakeshout: OLD JOE ON THE PACIFIC OCEAN:shark:

Multiple ways to prove you own it , you can transport it, you can buy it and the ammo it takes
I'm sure most people take at least some of those precautions but like you said saves a lot of headaches

geezer55
02-12-2011, 07:04 PM
The piece of paper that came with my PAL has: Conditions-Possession and Acquistion, has who it is issued to, Licence Number, Expiry Date.
Has Standard Condition which is:You must inform the Chief Firearms Officer of your province or territory within 30 days of any change to your name or address.
Has Special Conditions: mine is blank on the front, the back side says: Carry this document with your licence card as you must be able to produce this document on demand if requested by a peace officer or other authority.
At the bottom it has: RCMP GRC 5641 EF(2007/01/01) V2 CAFC 1015

bowhunter9841
02-13-2011, 11:19 PM
I've got the piece of paper too! Pain in the ass!

thumper
02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I recall pitching that piece of paper when I first got my PAL. I've jumped through enough government hoops already to own my firearms - if they want to throw me in jail for not carrying another piece of paper around - go right ahead. I'll take my chances with a sympathetic Alberta judge.

slopeshunter
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I just got my rpal & the paper and it does say to carry the paper with the card. To just have any conditions printed on the back of the pal makes most sense. What makes the least sene is when you have no conditions beyond the "standard" conditions and they say you must carry the paper. The paper says absolutely nothing on it.

benamen
02-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Sorry, I didn't Think that may be the reason. Maybe you are correct and none of the regulations pertain to you alone.

For the rest of us here are the requirements

Q. Do I need to carry my licence and registration certificates with me when I take my firearms out hunting?
The Criminal Code states that you must be able to produce a valid licence and registration certificate for the inspection of a peace officer if you have a firearm in your possession. If you do not have these documents with you, the peace officer may seize the firearms. If that was the only reason the firearms were seized, and you can produce the required documents for inspection within 14 days, the police are required to return the firearms to you.

Cowtown guy
02-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Here is the response from the RCMP

** High Priority **

Thank you for your correspondence.

The only way to reprint that page would be to reprint your entire
licence. If you would like us to do so, please advise. That request
would need to include additional identification information - your full
legal name, date of birth, complete address, and firearms licence number
if available. Also please be aware that this reprint would invalidate
your current firearms licence card (the version number - the four digits
at the end - would increase by 1).

Unless your licence had special conditions attached to it, then the
only condition on that sheet would have been the standard requirement to
notify of any address change within thirty days (this is required for
all firearms licences).

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by
e-mail or call our office at 1-800-731-4000. Thank you.

Rod, FSD Communications
RCMP Canadian Firearms Program
1-800-731-4000
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp

Moving? Don’t forget to notify us of your new address.

Not sure where I go from here but they don't seem too concerned.

calalta
02-14-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't know why people ask the CFO and the RCMP for legal advice. Get that from this forum!
If your paper has special conditions listed below the line you must carry it because those special conditions form part of your licence. If it is blank then standard conditions apply. If you carry a blank page around, don't admit that in a public forum.

Big Country
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
well folks, its pretty clear on the paper that our plastic card was glued to.

it states that the bottom portion of this letter "that shows any additional conditions" must accompany the License at all times.

i never have but will be carrying it with me from now on

i'm not taking any chances

:shark:

OLD JOE
02-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Here is the response from the RCMP

** High Priority **

Thank you for your correspondence.

The only way to reprint that page would be to reprint your entire
licence. If you would like us to do so, please advise. That request
would need to include additional identification information - your full
legal name, date of birth, complete address, and firearms licence number
if available. Also please be aware that this reprint would invalidate
your current firearms licence card (the version number - the four digits
at the end - would increase by 1).

Unless your licence had special conditions attached to it, then the
only condition on that sheet would have been the standard requirement to
notify of any address change within thirty days (this is required for
all firearms licences).

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by
e-mail or call our office at 1-800-731-4000. Thank you.

Rod, FSD Communications
RCMP Canadian Firearms Program
1-800-731-4000
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp

Moving? Don’t forget to notify us of your new address.

Not sure where I go from here but they don't seem too concerned.

I AM NOT FOND OF PROFANITY, BUT SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO SAY, what the F*$# DOES THAT MEAN????????????:thinking-006: OLD JOE:sHa_shakeshout:

Cowtown guy
02-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Kinda what I was thinking. It sounds to me like the second part is supposed to be there but the above e-mail doesn't seem to be concerned.

benamen
02-15-2011, 06:57 AM
I am going to get my sheet laminated so it stands up to wear in my wallet. In the future, I will keep a photocopy of the original in my wallet and keep the original in the gun safe so I can make additional copies when required.

calalta
02-15-2011, 07:16 AM
well folks, its pretty clear on the paper that our plastic card was glued to.

it states that the bottom portion of this letter "that shows any additional conditions" must accompany the License at all times.

i never have but will be carrying it with me from now on

i'm not taking any chances

:shark:

It is very clear, it states:
"If you have special conditions attached to your licence, carry this document...."

Look at your licence.
If it reads "Standard Conditions are attached" you don't need to carry a blank piece of paper.
If your licence is subject to Special Conditions the front of your card will say that and the Special Conditions will be printed on the paper, then you need to carry the paper with the licence.

Banger
02-15-2011, 07:50 AM
The piece of paper that came with my PAL has: Conditions-Possession and Acquistion, has who it is issued to, Licence Number, Expiry Date.

All of that information is on my plastic card. Possession and aquistion conditions are listed on the back on the plastic card. The rest on the front. Have never needed nor been asked for a paper card. Dont recall getting a paper card.

So Nova *!%
02-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Is there a lawyer in the house? :argue2:
It would seem that there is a large margin of error in the interpretation of this little piece of paper.
That said anyone ever hear of a Sheriff, SRD officer or a cop who was wrong at that moment?
Maybe the posters who ask why carry a blank piece of paper? are right, but argue that when some mis-informed "Authority" is confiscating your guns just because you didn't have a little piece of paper in your wallet
Better safe than sorry?

pseelk
02-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Yes mine is a POL,Good point that might be the issue.

So Nova *!%
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I only have the PAL

geezer55
02-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer

Yes mine is a POL,Good point that might be the issue.

Mine is a PAL, the plastic card is glued to a long sheet and at the bottom is where you find the Standard and Special Conditions part. When my son had his Minors Licence he was told by the officer that did the interview to make sure he carried that piece of paper too. It would be nice if the conditions were on the back of the licence like conditions are stamped on your drivers licence.
What I think is guys get so excited about finally being licenced they don't read all of the paperwork that is sent along with the licence, have made that mistake on other mail and don't get all information that you need.

Sputnik
02-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I also posted the question on the RCMP site, here was my answer, and pretty straight forward as well.

** High Priority **

, thank you for your correspondence.

You need only keep this document with your licence if there are "special" conditions attached to your licence.

As you indicated, you have no special condition, therefore, you may keep it at home with your records.

Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to assist you.

Sincerely,

Jo Ann

RCMP-GRC
Canadian Firearms Program - Programme canadien des armes à feu FSD Communications - Communications du PSMAF

Visit our website / Visitez notre site internet:
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf)

benamen
02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
And of course every peace officer would believe you if you said " honest, I don't have any special conditions attached to my license. If I did, I certainly would be carrying the little piece of paper."

At our office we often need to call to the CRA to get taxation advice. Typically we make two to three calls on the same subject as you do not always get the same answer on each of the calls. We always hope to get two answers out of the three that are the same and go with that one.

Okotokian
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
And of course every peace officer would believe you if you said " honest, I don't have any special conditions attached to my license. If I did, I certainly would be carrying the little piece of paper."

Yup, that seems odd. I guess you just have to carry the paper e-mail from the RCMP person to prove you don't have to carry the paper part of your licence! LOL

1shotwade
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I talked to the chief firearms officer myself{because they spelled my name wrong on my renewal}and I asked him about this piece of paper it came with he said as long as you have no special conditions toss it! This was today when he called me back!He said your card is all that is needed! but I am gonna keep it anyway!:sign0161:

So Nova *!%
02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Yup, that seems odd. I guess you just have to carry the paper e-mail from the RCMP person to prove you don't have to carry the paper part of your licence! LOL

:lol: roflmao i love it !!!!!!!! can't stop laughing Nice one Oko