PDA

View Full Version : Wiau Lake

jafo
02-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Just wondering if any one on the forum has directions into Wiau lake, and if you would be willing to pass them on. Thanks for any help

huntingaddict
02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
just follow the convoy, I've been fishing there for 10yrs was a good little secret lake untill too many people opened their mouths. I was on there earlier this winter and there was 83 vechicles. The fishing is just getting destroyed.
""Gotta get our limit"' who cares about next yr.

unclebuck
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Same thing happened with Chief, Drowned, Cow, Behan, & Clyde. Fished all of them in the time that I lived in LLB. Unfortunate how "poop happens", and wrecks a good fishery in a hurry.

blackonblackfx4
02-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Where is Drowned? And what's in it?

Walleyes
02-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Same thing happened with Chief, Drowned, Cow, Behan, & Clyde. Fished all of them in the time that I lived in LLB. Unfortunate how "poop happens", and wrecks a good fishery in a hurry.

Boy ain't that the truth Rick.. A guy could add about twice that many to the mix.. How about Jackson, Kinnard, Blacket look at what the government in their infinite wisdom has done there with there bloody groomed trail into those lakes.

For some of us that grew up fishing those lakes and can vividly remember fishing them before they were even on map its hard to take I'll tell yah..

Just like the deer hunting in that country,, there's a Newfy on every cutline cleaning up on em..

kreator
02-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't place the blame 100% on fishing pressure, though that is without a doubt a shame. A lot of those lakes are shallow and prone to winterkill. Clyde was loaded with jumbos one year, then no one caught a single Perch the next year. There's no way you can catch every fish in a lake of that size in one year. I realize that there were sometimes 300+ people on the lake, but the large majority of them were concentrated in one small section, despite the fact that there were Perch everywhere. Plus, the trapper there said the shore was loaded with dead Perch the next summer. I think a lot of them moved up the Wiau River looking for oxygen. Why else were we catching them in 6 inches of water? I'm certainly not condoning what is happening on Wiau right now, but I do think the effect of fishing pressure on those lakes is exaggerated. I think it's more of an issue of the atmosphere of a nice remote lake like that being overrun with dozens and dozens of trucks, sleds and quads.

kreator
02-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I should clarify that I am certainly not referring to Jackson/Blackett/Kinnaird. They have year-round pressure that a lake like Wiau or Clyde certainly do not have and it has without a doubt had a negative impact.

Walleyes
02-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Yes thats true Kreator those lakes are prone to winter kill.. I am all aware of those lakes after living in the area for 44 years a guy pics up on the odd thing..

The problem with the fishing pressure is those lakes will never get a chance to be what they once were. Winter kills are nothing new up there but it didn't take the lakes long to reproduce. Now they will never get the chance..

goober
02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes thats true Kreator those lakes are prone to winter kill.. I am all aware of those lakes after living in the area for 44 years a guy pics up on the odd thing..

The problem with the fishing pressure is those lakes will never get a chance to be what they once were. Winter kills are nothing new up there but it didn't take the lakes long to reproduce. Now they will never get the chance..

I have never been to or even heard of a few of the lakes you guy's are referring to. With all this new added pressure on them is it safe to say that over the years access has become easier?

Walleyes
02-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I have never been to or even heard of a few of the lakes you guy's are referring to. With all this new added pressure on them is it safe to say that over the years access has become easier?

Its a combination of things goober. Easier access, population increase and as you know everyone has a machine of some sort if it be a quad or snow machine. Most of these lakes have had access to them for over 30 years now but very few people knew about them or had the means of getting into them.

Unfortunately they are going to be remembered as the good old days.. Breaks my heart to see the amount of people in that country it really does... Growing up in those woods and seeing them now,, just unbelievable...

kreator
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Walleyes is right. Access has gotten easier and population has definitely increased. Nowadays there are a maze of cutlines that can get you to whatever lake you want, especially in that neck of the woods. Not to mention gigantic 4x4 trucks, quads or side by sides make the trip a lot easier than in the past.

Levy
02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Where are these fishermen coming from? Im from the Iron River Area and like to venture out on occasion but we have enough lakes here and well i don't usually get bored fishing them so i only head out a few times a winter usually your way to Dabbs, Seibert, or Fork.
I have seen the same thing happen here a few times. Usually a lake winterkills or gets fished out, nobody fishes it then someone fishes it few years later and catches jumbos. Then word spreads and in no time the lake is swamped and fished out within two or three winters. Out here there's a couple of locals who are guilty of over fishing but thats maybe ten people. When we talk to guys we see out on the lake EVERY TIME we go out, three out of four are from one community in particular, and on weekends they bring half the town with them.
One winter around ten years ago on boxing day we counted over 200 vehicles on Manatokan, i was raised right beside the lake and hadn't seen much more than fifteen vehicles on the lake at a time before that winter.
Are most of the people fishing those lakes from the Lac la biche area or are you guys in the same boat as us?

blackonblackfx4
02-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Are people from the Christina plants fishing these lakes? How was there 83 vehicles one day?!

unclebuck
02-13-2011, 05:22 AM
The fishermen come from all over the area - mostly from Ft. Mac, with the remainder from LLB, Plamondon, Grassland, Boyle, Smoky Lake, St. Paul, etc. Like Levy said, most of the fishermen are retired (2 & 3 to a pickup) are there more on a daily, rather than a weekend basis, taking their limit each time. The lake loads up on weekends with your normal family type fishermen, along with those that "live" on the lake on a daily basis. Awfully hard on a fish population!!!

rookiemoosehunter
02-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Personally, I think alot of the increased pressure on these remote lakes is due to things like facebook, twitter, and sites like this spreading the word that fish are biting way too fast. The last few years I have personally seen guys taking pictures of jumbo perch at some of these lakes and posting it on facebook..etc. Then you can here them calling people saying "yeah I am hammmering jumbo perch at this lake I read about on the internet, you guys should come....Heres the directions."

I have fished most of the lakes talked about in this thread all my life as i lived in NE Alberta all my life.
Kreator is correct with the lakes being prone to winter kill but I am not sure easier access is as big of a concern. The cutlines I use to get to alot of these lakes are the same ones I used years ago.
I do think less snow fall amounts and having the seimec and winter drilling programs plowing the snow on the cutlines does make it easier to get to remote lakes now. Look at Clyde 2 years ago, they plowed a path right to the trappers cabin....

But overall, the word of mouth seems to travel alot faster than it used to.....Thats just my opionion though.

Walleyes
02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
You are absolutely right r.m.h. that is a big thing.

Most of these lakes have had access to them since the 60's. Jackson and Kinnard since 1952 thats when my father first brought in his sawmill to the area. If you remember the old wood bridge between the lakes that was his bridge built in '54.

Wiau, Clyde, Behan, Steepbanks the list goes on my father was cutting seismic line and building fireline in there dating back to the late 50's and early 60's. The early 60's and 70's saw the big seismic line activity in the area. Actually there hasn't been a lot of seismic cutting in there for the last 30 years some but not much. When they put through Hwy# 881 that really opened up those lakes it just made them that much easier to get at no doubt about it. But there is no bigger destroyer than technology itself,, these type of sites definitely do a lot of harm to those old quite little places.. There are no secrets anymore..

catnthehat
02-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Grist , Winnifred, and Christina used to be fantastic fisheries, and it was no small feet to get here either - 4 hours sometimes to Christina from Ft. mac.
Now you can go into grist and back in one day of you want to.
the fishing in both Winnifred and Grist reflects that as well!:(
Cat

Walleyes
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Grist , Winnifred, and Christina used to be fantastic fisheries, and it was no small feet to get here either - 4 hours sometimes to Christina from Ft. mac.
Now you can go into grist and back in one day of you want to.
the fishing in both Winnifred and Grist reflects that as well!:(
Cat

Didn't take long either did it cat ???

Look at Winnifred,, its only been the last 10 years maybe that it took a dive..

I remember back in the day we would struggle to get in there,, we would go in the spring when the frost was still in but most of the snow was gone or we would fly in on one of my bro inlaws float planes in the summer,, man the fish.. It didn't take any skill either. An old five a diamonds on the line and the 8 & 10 pound walleye were game.

Back a few years ago just when they started to improve the road my nephew and I went into Winnifred for a June fish. You were still allowed 3 a piece then. The first day we drug some Raps around the cliffs. At the end of the day we weighed our stringer,, 6 fish and the stringer weighed 42# no kidding..

AxeMan
02-13-2011, 12:08 PM
At least my favorite lake in this area hasn't been mentioned yet. It is not just hiway 881 that has opened up the area. Alpac's huge logging projects and new winter roads have really opened things up especially on the west side of these lakes.

catnthehat
02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Didn't take long either did it cat ???

Look at Winnifred,, its only been the last 10 years maybe that it took a dive..

I remember back in the day we would struggle to get in there,, we would go in the spring when the frost was still in but most of the snow was gone or we would fly in on one of my bro inlaws float planes in the summer,, man the fish.. It didn't take any skill either. An old five a diamonds on the line and the 8 & 10 pound walleye were game.

Back a few years ago just when they started to improve the road my nephew and I went into Winnifred for a June fish. You were still allowed 3 a piece then. The first day we drug some Raps around the cliffs. At the end of the day we weighed our stringer,, 6 fish and the stringer weighed 42# no kidding..

Half of the adventure used to be getting there!:sHa_shakeshout:
We used to go in the spring, when and travel in the morning, then we would make a trip in the summer IF the rain had stayed away!
Grist was always a treat just before freeze up, when the road was good, and so was the fishing !
We used to keep only one trout a piece then....
Cat

Walleyes
02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
At least my favorite lake in this area hasn't been mentioned yet. It is not just hiway 881 that has opened up the area. Alpac's huge logging projects and new winter roads have really opened things up especially on the west side of these lakes.

Oh there's a few of them that havn't been mentioned on here nor will they ever be mentioned on here,, by me anyways..

jack88
02-14-2011, 08:44 AM
just follow the convoy, I've been fishing there for 10yrs was a good little secret lake untill too many people opened their mouths. I was on there earlier this winter and there was 83 vechicles. The fishing is just getting destroyed.
""Gotta get our limit"' who cares about next yr.

X's a million

Walleyes
02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
X's a million

Yah but what you guys don't realise is that you are part of the outside crowd that has come in and ruined it.. Some of us were fishing on those lakes 30 years ago and kept it quite..

I don't go to Wabamun why do you come here ???? you stay in your back yard I'll stay in mine...

highwood
02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Easy Walleyes, don't assume that every fisherman who isn't from Lac la Biche is ruining the small lakes north of there. As I recall, you don't even live up north anymore so calling it your backyard is fairly hypocritical, regardless of how long you lived there. Besides, you can't tell me with any honesty that fisherman from the area dont keep their limits weekend in and weekend out on some of these small lakes. I've seen many old fishermen from up north with 30 14 inch perch in the cooler over the years. In reality, it seems you yourself have contributed to the problem if you brought home 6 eyes from Winnifred and the scale read 42 pounds. Before you go pointing fingers, maybe you should re-evaluate some of your own comments and actions.

Walleyes
02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Easy Walleyes, don't assume that every fisherman who isn't from Lac la Biche is ruining the small lakes north of there. As I recall, you don't even live up north anymore so calling it your backyard is fairly hypocritical, regardless of how long you lived there. Besides, you can't tell me with any honesty that fisherman from the area dont keep their limits weekend in and weekend out on some of these small lakes. I've seen many old fishermen from up north with 30 14 inch perch in the cooler over the years. In reality, it seems you yourself have contributed to the problem if you brought home 6 eyes from Winnifred and the scale read 42 pounds. Before you go pointing fingers, maybe you should re-evaluate some of your own comments and actions.

EXACTLY,, twas the point of my post.. I knew it would raise some eye brows and rustle some feathers..

We are all to blame when it comes to these lakes and the condition they are in.. I certainly don't like what is happening but I accept it,, what choice do we have..

But I do get a kick out of these guys that come from the citys and what not and fish a lake for 10 years and think it was their little secret... Like I said some of us fished them for 30 and we never fished them out.. But slowly slowly word gets around and boom there she blows you have what is taking place in the north east now..

P.S. Live there or not that country will always be my home and we will be moving back in 4 -5 years once my youngest is done school.. So please leave a few fish for me.. But like I said there are still a few lakes that haven't been found,, for now anyways..

And the few of us that used to head into Winefred once or twice a year and keep 6 fish certainly didn't fish out that big lake.. That lake would of sustained itself for generations at the rate we used to fish it,, same as most in the area..

rookiemoosehunter
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Well Walleyes, you better move back soon and do some fishing. I flew over wiau today and you should have seen the people fishing for a monday morning!!! Might not catch a fish there next year.

blackonblackfx4
02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Well Walleyes, you better move back soon and do some fishing. I flew over wiau today and you should have seen the people fishing for a monday morning!!! Might not catch a fish there next year.

On both Sides of the lake or just the south?

jack88
02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Yah but what you guys don't realise is that you are part of the outside crowd that has come in and ruined it.. Some of us were fishing on those lakes 30 years ago and kept it quite..

I don't go to Wabamun why do you come here ???? you stay in your back yard I'll stay in mine...

Wow, you know where I live all of a sudden? I havent been alive for 30 years but for you to jump down on me like im some city slicker? I live alot closer than you think.
There is one town in particular that has a bad name around home for heading up to those lakes the last few years and really putting the boots to them. I'll keep that to myself.
It was only a matter of time before this happend with the oil activity, google earth showing you every line to drive down etc etc. The only secret that can be kept are the ones inside your head and even then, someone has probably already looked at that lake on google earth and said "I wonder if Jimmy is busy this weekend we should load up the quads and head out to this little lake to see whats in it"
And so it begins.

jafo
02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I am only 13 and i have been going fishing at Heart lake with my mom and dad since i was 1 year old, he has been fishing there since he was 12 and that is 32 years ago. He has hunted in that area for years and he just thought we might try a new lake so i thought i would try to find out how to get in here. I had Dad talk to the warden in Lac La Biche and he helped us with some directions. This forumn got a little off topic of directions and it doesn't look like anyone was willing to share. Sorry if i upset anyone by asking for directions.

highwood
02-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Not your fault Jafo it happens from time to time on this forum. Good luck if you head out.

dave_ca
02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
can anyone pm me the directions to this lake, cant seem to find it.... thanks in advance

savagencounter
01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Google maps will show easy way in. Heading out with a group of friends tmrw. Will be about 20 of us. Time to load up on some big perch. If not the other little lakes nearby are almost untouched.

GregT
01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
thar be pillage and plunder in them waters

savagencounter
01-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Just rubbing salt in the wound with all the panic about lakes being named lol. Will stick to cross or long or baptiste or calling maybe orloff or slave. Might hit cold lake and island after ghost the finish the day off at north buck. Can't forget banna and fawcet.

GregT
01-11-2013, 08:39 PM
ha right on. seems wiau is the sore spot of the season. this thread always has good readin!

pickrel pat
01-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Try honey lake south of laclabiche..... Oops!

GummyMonster
01-11-2013, 11:20 PM
You have zero reason to be sorry young fella. Directions and such are what these sites are for IMO.
People just get frustrated with how the interweb can ruin one of our few lakes.
I am guilty of it myself and I will always feel bad. A bunch of years ago no one even knew where Snipe lake was. I gave some directions and a bit of advice on where to go. At that time, 5 - 8 trucks on a saturday was a busy day for the lake. By the next winter, 30-50 trucks on a Monday was normal. That kind of pressure kills a perch fishery quick.
Hope you have fun at your new lake, and never feel guilty for asking a question.
Ken

I am only 13 and i have been going fishing at Heart lake with my mom and dad since i was 1 year old, he has been fishing there since he was 12 and that is 32 years ago. He has hunted in that area for years and he just thought we might try a new lake so i thought i would try to find out how to get in here. I had Dad talk to the warden in Lac La Biche and he helped us with some directions. This forumn got a little off topic of directions and it doesn't look like anyone was willing to share. Sorry if i upset anyone by asking for directions.

GummyMonster
01-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Morning,
Found a pond in my Alberta backroads map that says its stocked with Grayling.How the heck do you catch them through the ice.???
Leaving in a few hours, so any quick info would be awesome.
Ken

chriscosta
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
never ever had the chance to fish for grayling but id try some flys tipped with a maggot

GummyMonster
01-12-2013, 06:14 PM
sorry guys,
meant to start a new post about the grayling. Losing my mind i guess.

Bhflyfisher
01-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Does no one use google earth anymore? It is by far the best tool for waterbody related information. If you mark your lake, you can use the directions tab and set your destination with your marker.

Just a thought.

rmillsfishing
01-17-2013, 03:45 AM
This is all just xxxxxxx?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 xxxxxx hours to get there. How many times do you think I guy can take that much time off work to go up Every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " I don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because I enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am I going to keep all the fish I catch? No why would I but I'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's I pay my taxes so I'll fish where ever I want and I do it with respect because I'm a good person. Also I never have kept my limit ever because I don't need fill my freezer I need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines

Walleye101
01-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Very well said! You hit it right on the head!!!!!!:fighting0030:

crownb
01-17-2013, 08:25 AM
This is all just bullsh?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 fuc$ing hours to get there. How many times do you think I guy can take that much time off work to go up Every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " I don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because I enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am I going to keep all the fish I catch? No why would I but I'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's I pay my taxes so I'll fish where ever I want and I do it with respect because I'm a good person. Also I never have kept my limit ever because I don't need fill my freezer I need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines
Agreed x2. Have never been to this lake before, so could somebody just man up and give this poor kid some directions, all he wants to do is fish, the way you guys talk its no secret anyway. Just give him some damn directions, when I joined this forum I thought it was for sportsman to work together and help each other. Mostly what I have seen is a huge bitchfest.

LCCFisherman
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Someone just say it already..... Oil has ruined the province.

BRAVO!!

fishermansfriend
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
oil employs more than half the province.. oil has made alberta an awesome place to live.... dont like oil... move!

LCCFisherman
01-17-2013, 10:43 AM
oil employs more than half the province.. oil has made alberta an awesome place to live.... dont like oil... move!

Thanks for agreeing with me. It has ruined fish and wildlife.

keep6matt
01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Bottom line is due to the Alberta boom happening, the huge growth increase of Alberta's population, the excessive perch possession limits (and catch n release practices...nothing wrong with keeping 5 jumbos rather than 15 !!), the lack of Alberta lakes that have decent water depths and numbers compared to other provinces and of course the rapid word of mouth results in a complete fishery disaster. I have fished all of those lakes mentioned above and many many times I have released a 12 to 14 inch perch cause to me its the thrill of catching and not keeping my entire limit. Hey whats wrong with having 5 perch rather than 15 so maybe just maybe a kid can enjoy the thrill of his/her first time ice fishing adventure? Its time EVERYONE smartened the hell up and enjoyed the sport and not continuously slay the perch and bring home 15 perch each with 4 people per truck only to go back and do it again and again to fill their freezer. Take a picture or video, it lasts longer and be humble to enjoy a good fish fry rather than stock your freezers! And if you do find a gem, keep it quiet cause there are true sportsmen/women out there but they are surely outweighed by the greedy anglers. Its time we passed good angling ethics to our kids and next generation so maybe this province's fisheries can stand a chance for years to come. Another note is the fisheries should maybe introduce tag or draw systems for perch now so maybe they can raise enuff funds to start stocking perch into more lakes resulting in a healthy balance of forage vs predators like walleye, pike and humans. Another note is maybe aeration systems should be introduced into perch lakes as they are with trout lakes...just a thought..thank you, I am done my rant.

keep6matt
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
this is all just bullsh?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 fuc$ing hours to get there. How many times do you think i guy can take that much time off work to go up every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " i don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because i enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am i going to keep all the fish i catch? No why would i but i'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's i pay my taxes so i'll fish where ever i want and i do it with respect because i'm a good person. Also i never have kept my limit ever because i don't need fill my freezer i need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines

well said!!! 100% agreed!!

303enfield
01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
This is all just bullsh?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 fuc$ing hours to get there. How many times do you think I guy can take that much time off work to go up Every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " I don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because I enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am I going to keep all the fish I catch? No why would I but I'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's I pay my taxes so I'll fish where ever I want and I do it with respect because I'm a good person. Also I never have kept my limit ever because I don't need fill my freezer I need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines

X100!

I do not know why people who think they live "close" enough to a lake or any other COMMON RESOURCE feel as though they are the only ones who should be allowed to benefit from its use to the exclusion of all others. To be honest I find it laughable when such small minded people (aka IDIOTS) present their thoughts on this forum!

Garry B
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Simply boils down to demand for perch outstripping supply of them.

How to correct this imbalance? I think we could start by having an understanding of 'Tragedy of the Commons.' ("In economics, the tragedy of the commons is the depletion of a shared resource by individuals, acting independently and rationally according to each one's self-interest, despite their understanding that depleting the common resource is contrary to the group's long-term best interests.") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Actually, it's quite obvious from the posts here that many do understand this principle. Its the situation we are in today. It's not a happy one ...

A law of supply and demand is that when the cost of something decreases, more of it will be demanded. The opposite is also true. When the cost of something rises, less of it will be demanded. Right now the cost of obtaining perch is zero. I don't mean it doesn't cost time and money to get to a lake and buy gear etc. I mean no one pays more for a jumbo perch from a remote lake than they do for a stunted perch from a illegally stocked trout pond. They are both free (costless).

If it cost something (increasing with the desirability) to take fish from highly desirable waters, pressure on these waters would decline. Since they were less pressured fishing could remain good there longer. In the end more people might have a chance to catch SOME fish there than eventually no one being able to catch ANY at all because the lake collapses. Then it's good for no one.

Is such a state desirable? Achievable? I don't know. But the commons are being destroyed by a very simple, inflexible law. I think Alberta is now facing something European nations have grappled with for years. Maybe we need to look there for some ideas?

I bet I just breathed new life into this thread and I suspect I should be ducking for cover ... :)

Walleyes
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Simply boils down to demand for perch outstripping supply of them.

How to correct this imbalance? I think we could start by having an understanding of 'Tragedy of the Commons.' ("In economics, the tragedy of the commons is the depletion of a shared resource by individuals, acting independently and rationally according to each one's self-interest, despite their understanding that depleting the common resource is contrary to the group's long-term best interests.") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Actually, it's quite obvious from the posts here that many do understand this principle. Its the situation we are in today. It's not a happy one ...

A law of supply and demand is that when the cost of something decreases, more of it will be demanded. The opposite is also true. When the cost of something rises, less of it will be demanded. Right now the cost of obtaining perch is zero. I don't mean it doesn't cost time and money to get to a lake and buy gear etc. I mean no one pays more for a jumbo perch from a remote lake than they do for a stunted perch from a illegally stocked trout pond. They are both free (costless).

If it cost something (increasing with the desirability) to take fish from highly desirable waters, pressure on these waters would decline. Since they were less pressured fishing could remain good there longer. In the end more people might have a chance to catch SOME fish there than eventually no one being able to catch ANY at all because the lake collapses. Then it's good for no one.

Is such a state desirable? Achievable? I don't know. But the commons are being destroyed by a very simple, inflexible law. I think Alberta is now facing something European nations have grappled with for years. Maybe we need to look there for some ideas?

I bet I just breathed new life into this thread and I suspect I should be ducking for cover ... :)

Mmm yah, nah I don't buy it. I'll stick with my original plan,, I won't fish out yer back door, you don't fish out of mine.. We don't need anybody driving over holes and pulling knives on each other. Stays pretty quiet out here when city stays home..

Icefisher2885
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Mmm yah, nah I don't buy it. I'll stick with my original plan,, I won't fish out yer back door, you don't fish out of mine.. We don't need anybody driving over holes and pulling knives on each other. Stays pretty quiet out here when city stays home..

I think Garry made a great analogy - tragedy of the commons fits the scenario perfectly. With regards to "you don't fish at my back door, I won't fish at yours"....that's pretty weak. As Alberta taxpayers we all have the right to fish anywhere we choose. That being said, we also have the duty to be stewards of the land...unfortunately a lot of people forget the second part.

It wouldn't be very nice if that logic was applied to hunting, would it? Don't ever come south and hunt our mule deer, and don't even THINK about hunting our Suffield elk! - stay in your own part of the province! Again...not a very good attitude, in my opinion.

bikerman
01-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Wow. Pretty possessive of a crown resource aren't we? Unless that was a joke and I missed it.
Last time I checked, an Alberta fishing licence was good for the whole province.

pickrel pat
01-17-2013, 06:56 PM

So if the fishing sucks in my part of the province i cant go to where the fishing is good? But i love fishing!:snapoutofit:

bikerman
01-17-2013, 07:03 PM

Vancouver would welcome him!
So easy to bash oil. So difficult to get to the lake without it:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Bush
01-17-2013, 07:38 PM
If a person loves fishing and the wilderness then that person lives out there.

If a person loves having neighbors and hanging around a crowded mall then that person lives in

Imagine how it feels to be the guy who chose to live out in the wilderness and one day your dealing with the city crowd taking the wilderness from your back yard.

I understand how (walleye) or other offended people feel but it isn't going to get any better unless you move another couple hundred miles farther north.

Walleyes
01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Well shoot man I read on here how people treat each other out there, driving over holes, fishing on top of one another, swearing at each other, pulling knives, darn man,, I fished a lifetime with all my neighbours and never even came close to such a thing,, everyone respected the other guys space yah know.. You minded your business you let the neighbour worry about his, never stuck yer nose in what he was doing. All I am saying is keep it there.. Heck it's an even trade off, not trying to take away from you, I'll stay away from you, you stay away from me..

JEHL75
01-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Walleyes,
Hmm...So if I live and work in Ft.Mac for 14 days(Supporting the local economy and paying tax) and in Edmonton for 14 days(supporting the local economy and paying tax) I can go fishing where ever then....Because technically we are neigbours and I pay to live there to.:sHa_shakeshout:
Not everyone is out there to wreck hunting and fishing but I guess the half of me being from the Big City,that half of me doesnt know squat.
There are a-hats from Small Towns, citys and the country that wreck it for everyone.
Living on a farm or being from Ft. Mac doesnt make you better or more ethical in the bush than me or anyone else for that matter. Tell me the last canoe trip you went on that was 22 days long or even 2 days. How many days did you hunt this year and yes walking in the bush and not only 10 feet out of your truck after work or that deer you saw in your field. I would be willing as a "City person" to put my Bush/Ethical wilderness skills on the line with you any day.
I mainly practice catch and release although I do enjoy eating fresh fish once in a while.(No offence to anyone who fishes responsibly and keeps fish).
I get irritated when people say "oh Im from a farm or the country and we are sooo much more ethical in the bush than city people. They wreck everthing for us and we are all angels." They all sound like a bunch of whiny, spoiled little kids.

And just for the record Ft.McMurray isnt the "Bush". It's just a Big town a little further north than Edmonton.

There my rant is finished,

IMO, JEHL75

P.s. - If someone has the reqested directions please give them to the kid. Everyone here talks about supporting our next generation and teaching them about the outdoors(keeping them off the xbox) but I guess that only happens if it doesnt impeed on your lake or the place you hunt.

pikeslayer22
01-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Tell him to wait on hwy 881 by plamondon and follow the crowd! 50% of the half tons are heading there guranteed!

Garry B
01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
If a person loves fishing and the wilderness then that person lives out there.

If a person loves having neighbors and hanging around a crowded mall then that person lives in .

With all respect I must disagree. And I'll give you my reasons.

I love wilderness and nature but I do not live in the country any longer for reasons partly beyond my control. Spent years of my life out of the city. Did not want to move to the city. But life events forced me to do what I thought I would never do. And I have adjusted. But given my first choice I would live in the country again because that's what I love.

And second, even though I live in the city I take no joy in having neighbors mere feet from me. Many grief's come about when people get packed tight together. Personally, I'd rather have space but can't achieve that existence so I do what I must. People don't live in cities just so they can have neighbors. I NEVER hang out at the mall (but I have been inside one: very rarely) despite living 20 minutes from a big one. I stay away from them with all my might.

So it's not so cut and dried. A lot of people who live in a city or town do really love nature. And people don't move to a city or town because they love neighbors and malls. I wish we all could live in our ideal environment, but often we don't.

hydrofish01
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
hwy 881 north to km 144 or 146 then follow trail straight to lake:bad_boys_20:

FishHunterPro
01-18-2013, 12:30 PM
If you all want a lake to yourself book a fly-in fishing trip !

phillcollins
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Good Lord !!!

This place is full of yappy REDNECKS that are stack in a box without awareness of the outside box space !!!
Put a helmet on sitting in your living room watching tv and feel great about yourselves... :argue2:

Forum queens remember not to whine when you can't get a single keeper perch out of your local lake in next few years just because you thought you were a fisherman hero yapping on here about the lakes and the lakes directions to everyone !!!!

now up mine if you don't mind KIM please.....

savagencounter
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Wiau lake is dead. Haha lots of fish there for everyone. There is now secret to the lakes. It's all in the regs. Plus it's pretty far out.

GregT
01-18-2013, 05:12 PM
i dont know what the fuss is, was up a couple weeks ago and although we caught a few nice perch, it wasnt worth the long freakin drive.

The Spruce
03-31-2013, 05:16 PM
I have been told the Wiau has again winterkill. A friend was there on Thursday, dead fish all over the the bottom of the lake. Sad, it will take some time again for this lake to recover. Anyone hear of any other lakes winterkilling this year?

chriscosta
03-31-2013, 06:51 PM
lol

baptiste_moose
03-31-2013, 07:53 PM
I heard this as well. Pike were swimming sideways on the bottom of the ice

FishHunterPro
03-31-2013, 07:57 PM
I was there Tuesday and a pal and I never got a sniff from any fish. I popped about 30 holes and we called it quits. Everyone else on the ice was having the same luck also so it could be true.

jack88
03-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Friend was there also today, he put the camera down hole and counted 10 dead perch on the bottom of the lake.

Sundancefisher
03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Sounds like people need to look at the big picture. Limits shoud be water body specific and that will fix many problems. Err on the side of prudent management and lower limits when anticipating higher pressure.

We should all be encouraging fishing versus setting up a them versus us mentality.

chriscosta
03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
I saw these guys throw these perch into their 'black Dodge dually' and speed off...LMAO 70248

baptiste_moose
03-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Thats awesome!!

wetchimo
03-31-2013, 08:30 PM
I saw these guys throw these perch into their 'black Dodge dually' and speed off...LMAO 70248

LOL that the best wiau picture I've seen yet

Kim473
04-01-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm gonna miss catching perch like that from there.

KN12313
04-01-2013, 06:57 AM
3 of use were at Wiau on Tuesday and Wedensday, not a bite, talked to everyone on the lake both days, no one had a bite. I punched a couple of hole by shore and even the fresh water shrimp came up dead.

Shes dead, winter killed, I will miss all the big perch.:(:(:(:(

Lefty-Canuck
04-01-2013, 07:21 AM
If it truly winter killed all the guys whining about it being THEIR lake and a big secret can take a seat......better to have those fish caught and eaten then becoming detritus on the bottom in the mud.....right?

LC

retten
04-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Jafo, I do not have directions to the lake you are interested in, I have never been there. Do not be sorry for the post you submitted, I myself learned an important lesson many years ago from a wise old man (Dad) he had the lets have a small taste mentality, yes keep a couple, come back next week, month, year and there should be somthing there for you to sample again.

Don't be a slabber, see them all the time, as many as quick as you can get them, fill the freezer, poor teachers.

Sounds like you are lucky to have parents that like to spend time outdoors fishing and such, this would be a much better world if everyone spent time doing these type activities, it is just to bad there are so called " sportsmen " who have to take everything every time they get out, not much sport in that.

Good luck fishing