PDA

View Full Version : pothole lakes

fishinguy99
11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
does anyone know if any of the pothole lakes around edmonton have frozen over yet?

Dr. Fish
11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Probably, last year they were good to go by know. Be carefull i've had some close calls at first ice walking around those pothole lakes. Seems to be either springs or breathing holes for muskrats that make it dangerous.
But the fishing is usually great, had really good luck this time of year.

Win94
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Probably, last year they were good to go by know.

.....................yeah but it was minus 20 at friggen halloween last year. If you go on the ice right now and fall through, i have no sympathy. comparing this year to last year is just stupidity.:rolleye2:

Dr. Fish
11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Umm... you not read the part that sais be carefull!:D

Win94
11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
You fisher dudes see a bit of frost and get all horny and start thinking of firing up the auger. She's russian roulette right now if you are thinking of ice fishing in these parts right now. The only way to be careful is by not even going out yet.:)

Dr. Fish
11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I go out lots on these pothole lakes at first ice and yes it can be quite dangerous. So if you are at all nervous about it just dont go. I always play each outing as per what the conditions may be. Last year on some of my first outings there was only what could be described as very minimal ice.
Upon discovery of this due to always testing holeing my fishing area I made the decision that I would not venture into deeper than 2or3 feet of water.
Also I carry certain items for safety like ice picks and a pfd. I would never go about this outing if I wasnt confident in what I was doing.
Oh yeah at least last year on thin ice the fishing was incredible.:innocent:

Penner
11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
I drove by lake Eden a few days ago and over half of the lake was still open water. Ducks were having a good time. It did not look ice fishable at all to me. I'd imagine most of the other potholes around Edmonton would be about the same.

I'd say your still a few weeks away before fishing any potholes unless we get a quick cold snap of a few days at minus -20C or better.

muzzy
11-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey guys I'm moving just outside of edmonton in January ( west, by Cougar creek golf course) from BC When you say pothole lakes can you name afew with fish/ types. Be interested to wet a line when i get there

Gord

Don Meredith
11-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi Gord,

I live in that area and you have quite a selection. All the potholes contain rainbow trout. The closest is East Pit Lake, north of Wabamun. Hasse and Star Lakes are a few kilometres south of Cougar Creek--there's a couple of ways to get to them. Also, nearby are non-pothole lakes like Lac Ste Anne and Island Lake, these contain pike, perch and walleye. Wabamun Lake is also close but it is all C&R pike, perch and whitefish.

Dr. Fish
11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Dont forget north and a bit west of Spruce Grove. Theres Sour, Chickakoo, and Muir. And over by Star lake there is Mink,and Mayatan. But if your close to Wab then I recommend just going there. I have been fishing Wab hard for a few years and wow what a sweet lake caught a ton of large pike. I introduced of couple of my city raised freinds to fishing out there and now there fisherman for life.
Oh and Lac St Ann can be just awsome, have a spot where we catch walleys in about a foot of water. Go try Isle lake out, I never been but heard good things.
Good luck, Dr. Fish!

muzzy
11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks Don and Doc Hopefully once I get settled in we may get a chance to wet a line one day I've big into hunting and fishing and used to outfit bears hunters years back I'll be moving in 4 miles north of Cougar creek in Diamond Country Estates

Gord

Doc
11-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Dont forget north and a bit west of Spruce Grove. Theres Sour, Chickakoo, and Muir. And over by Star lake there is Mink,and Mayatan.

Just wanted to point out that Muir is closed from Nov 1st - April 30th :wave:

Cheers,
Doc