PDA

View Full Version : So any private range owners

lugeboy
02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
So I am looking into the reg's regarding a private handgun range. Is there anyone on here who has one and if so PM me I have a pretty good handle on what I need to do but want to speak privatly as there are too many people on here either wanting to take the topic off topic or who just don't understand the rules.
Thanks in advance

asheepatthewheel
02-14-2011, 03:20 PM
if u get good info could u give me a pm ... i too have been thinking about the same thing...thanks

Scar270
02-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry I can't help, but if you succeed, please post what you did for us.

trophybook
02-14-2011, 08:11 PM
pm sent

lugeboy
02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
so far so good next step is the county, The key thing so far is assuring everyone that it's not a business it is soley for the purpose of private shooting no money will ever be taken, If it is business then totally differnt set of rules and legalitys

We are lucky we have a dry lake bed so have a pretty good start on the backstop. (Have to do a little modification to the dirt bike track but the kids will barly be able to tell)

pseelk
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Does it not have to be a government approved range before you can shoot handguns on it?

hillbillyreefer
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Does it not have to be a government approved range before you can shoot handguns on it?

Pretty sure that is what he is attempting to accomplish.

270WIN
02-15-2011, 02:01 PM

It certainly has to be an approved range in order to transport your handguns there. It never occurred to me that you might be able to set up a private range for yourself and get it approved so you can take your handguns there but I would definitely be interested in doing it if it's possible.
Assuming it is possible, would you still have to be a member of an organized shooting club in order to get an Authoization to Transport? In my experience they won't issue the ATT without seeing a copy of your Club Membership.
PM sent

Scar270
02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Make up range memberships for your range. They don't have to cost anything, or be available to anyone besides your friends.

smith88
02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Very interesting idea. I am interested in how it turns out for you, keep us posted.

elkhunter11
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
The approval for a restricted weapons range will not likely be easy to obtain.Many people have spoken with the CFO about this,and then gave up when they found out what would be required in order for approval to be granted.

lugeboy
02-15-2011, 07:19 PM
The approval for a restricted weapons range will not likely be easy to obtain.Many people have spoken with the CFO about this,and then gave up when they found out what would be required in order for approval to be granted.

Actually Speaking to the CFO is quite easy, as he is actually on your side he would rather see you do this then try to shoot and not get caught. So far so good very painless (Fingers crossed) As per the ATT because I will have an approved range I can go to it. Remember you residence is not an approved but some land with your name on it is.

I am not saying in anyway is this a cake walk but having the ability to walk to my range and shoot whenever I want and not have to wait for others to finish or book a spot I am absolutly willing to give this a true shot. I have good access to earth moving equipment and other stuff needed to build one so in alot of ways I am lucky I can see why alot of people give up. (My Backstop has to be minium 4meters high and depending on how many shooting lanes then plus 2.5 meters of extension and the backstop needs to be at least 1.5 meters thick so yes alot of earth. Luckly I have a few jumps at the dirtbike track we no longer use so lots of spare dirt.

I don't know if I am allowed to post this but here is the link to at least get an idea of what you need to get a range and if after you think you can do all this then get in contact with your CFO to discuss the inner stuff, like insurance, county stuff ect.....
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/club/constr-eng.pdf

I will also be a momber of the okotoks Club also as when it rains I would like to have somewhere to go also it's good to meet new people and mingle too

I am setting up an appointment with the county as they are the hardest hurdle if they say no then all over so fingers crossed

lugeboy
02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
It certainly has to be an approved range in order to transport your handguns there. It never occurred to me that you might be able to set up a private range for yourself and get it approved so you can take your handguns there but I would definitely be interested in doing it if it's possible.
Assuming it is possible, would you still have to be a member of an organized shooting club in order to get an Authoization to Transport? In my experience they won't issue the ATT without seeing a copy of your Club Membership.
PM sent

I asked that question to the CFO and he said that because I will be an "Approved range in there system" then all is good

Jamie
02-15-2011, 09:18 PM
This idea was floated to me by AHEIA.
They had away to make it happen. Obviously well within the rules.
I would talk with them about the whole thing.

Jamie

lugeboy
02-19-2011, 09:21 AM
so I now have the insurance in place ($1,000 a year for 2,000,000 libility) I think its worth it as then there is no fuel spent driving and I don't have to work around other peoples hours to when I can shoot. Espically for me I have to drive an hour to the range soot for an hour and drive an hour again, its alot of time out of our day. Should find out tuesday if the county gives me the go ahead and if so bring on spring so I can build!!!!