PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Update and question

Tyangelo
02-12-2011, 05:26 PM
So I tried fishing at Fallis today for the first time. 5 other groups out. I tried out my new 6 man Woods Arctic 6 tent. Great tent for the price. Anyways,
Conditions were great, drove out with my car. I've got wicked winter tires on, and had no issues. Ground clearance wasn't a factor.

Set up at 13 FOW with a herring on a tip up just off the bottom, and two more holes that buddy and I tried for whites and perch in. Right away had s big school of Perch. Nothing big. Most were too small to even get the hook in their mouths. When I was pulling up to change outbound, I had a small pike eye up my green wireworm. After 4 hours of nothing but tiny perch, we tried shallower at 9 FOW, and changed over to Airplane jigs. Has two small pike take runs at em in 2 hours, but that's all. Nothing on the tip up all day. First time I tried herring. Usually I use smelt. Did see one guy catch a 5 lb ish gator on a tip up right before we left.

Any recommendations on key locations and structure/ jigging techniques etc in in that area? Great weather regardless...!

linemanpete
02-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Too shallow for that area find the drop off to deeper water and you'll be on them all day

Safety D
02-12-2011, 06:39 PM
I was on the north east side today. Landed 5 with a ton of tip-ups set up. In my opinion it was DEAD !!!! Nice day on the water though and floodwater disapeared.

maclennanchris
02-12-2011, 06:55 PM
went out in about 6-8 fow on Friday. Kinda slow all day. Landed 3 around 5 or so pounds. Lost a few also. That was from 8:30 till 3:00. Pretty slow.

baitfisher83
02-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I was on the north east side today. Landed 5 with a ton of tip-ups set up. In my opinion it was DEAD !!!! Nice day on the water though and floodwater disapeared.

umm a ton????

Tyangelo
02-13-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm gonna hanker a guess that Saftey D brought some buddies. Had 2 lines each.

So how deep should I be shooting for? And Fallis is right by Camp YoWoChas, right?

Fishmaster
02-13-2011, 01:38 AM
wabz is on fire been going out last couple weekends every trip pull out atleast 2 over 15 lbs, just gotta find them and what they want, today i tied into some whites and man where they massive! And also landed one burbot bout 6 lbs, great day!

Geezle
02-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Did pretty good again yesterday sorta near town in about 12' feet of water.

Also saw a HUGE group out by what looked like maybe the sailing club? Hard to tell...I need stronger binoculars :lol:

Safety D
02-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Ya I do have friends if you can believe that:argue2:

dwedmon
02-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Did pretty good again yesterday sorta near town in about 12' feet of water.

Also saw a HUGE group out by what looked like maybe the sailing club? Hard to tell...I need stronger binoculars :lol:

I was over by the sailing club later in the day. It was slow, only a bunch of tiny perch and a small pike. A large family was there with 3-4 trucks but aside from that no one was around the sailing club.

Tyangelo
02-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Well, fish do move...

raoul
02-13-2011, 03:50 PM
i was reading that pike dont move more than 400 meters from 1 spot. they hunt but not far from spawning spot. any truth?

cribfisher
02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I saw a study a few years ago in one of the north eastern states on pike movement. They tagged a number of pike in one lake with radio tags and monitered the movement. The conclusion was that they found no pattern to the movement. It varied from one that moved less than 200 yards during the length of the study to one that left the lake and traveled via rivers to another lake several hundred km away.

Tyangelo
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Very interesting...

lakerman
02-14-2011, 07:58 AM
same spot few weeks ago saw lotsa whites, yesterday,notta,like we were fishing in an old oil drum, 1 small pike all day fishing, not much happening around me either,at least we weren't working