PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag primers?

archeryguy
02-12-2011, 08:39 PM
hey guys im reloading some 300 win mag bullets and i was wondeing if you could use just large rifle primers? or did they have to be large magnum rifle primers.
thanks.

elkhunter11
02-12-2011, 08:48 PM
I prefer magnum primers in the larger cases.

gitrdun
02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
You can use either. BUT, you must be careful to follow load data for this reason. As an example: Lyman lists a 150gr Hornady with IMR4831 using a WLR (large rifle) primer at a certain velocity. Hornady lists their own 150gr bullet using a similar charge of IMR4831 using a WLRM (magnum) primer at a greater velocity. Thus, yes either primer can be used, but don't assume that one can be used as a substitute for the other without considerations to powder charge. In your case, since you are enquiring about the large rifle primer, using a charge that was published using a magnum primer will obviously result in lower velocity. It's always recommendable to cross check various loading manuals when making substitutions and starting low.

archeryguy
02-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Ok gotcha man, that makes good sense, thanks very much for the info, it's greatly appreciated. Thanks.

catnthehat
02-13-2011, 07:58 AM
I like to use magnum primers when using extruded powder, but mostly I like the load development to dictate what I need, some loads work better
( tighter ) with a magnum primer.
One time I stay away from the BTW, is when using black powder, you want a milder spark for BPCR cases and black, but for modern magnums for the most part, the hotter primer works better.....
Cat