PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of heading to wab..

FishingFrenzy
02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
YES, YOU GOT IT, ANOTHER WABUMAN THREAD!

But seriously i didn't want to jack someone else's thread so here's mine.

Im thinking of hitting up wabuman before the ice season is over, but i have never fished it before! From reading other threads heading off the boat launch in the town of wabamun is a good bet? I've also heard Fallis point is good? Seba beach? Im basically wondering where im going to catch the most fish? :sHa_shakeshout:

Also from what ive read the best bet seems to be BIG bait, i picked up some decent size smelts from WSS today. Im thinking i will put em on a big 1.5 oz jighead and deadstick it right off the bottom? Also might try jigging spoons or wildeyes. Anyone have any other lure/bait/rig suggestions?

As far as depth/place to fish, are there any drop-offs worth fishing? how many FOW (i've been reading 10-12 but this seems a little shallow??).

Im hoping to catch a personal best pike (my biggest to date is around 6lbs................... yeah i know...)

Any information/brainfarts are appreciated!

GOOD luck, See ya on the lake!

terny
02-12-2011, 10:17 PM
we went yesterday at the main peir, action was rather slow. noone around us caught anything, and we caught one in the 3-4 lb range, and about 4-5 hits/checked out the hook and left. Bitting soft.

cribfisher
02-12-2011, 10:22 PM
PM sent.

Safety D
02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
biting very soft. Flags with no spinners. It was DEAD considering we had 15 tip-ups out.

maclennanchris
02-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Went out today.....got there by 7:30, set up in the tent. Looked outside a few hours later....wow tons of people. We caught about 5 pike, nothing too big. I found it abit slow there today and was wondering if all the people driving around and drilling a new hole every 10 sec had someting to do with it. Was thinking of finding another place around Wab that aint so busy....or am i just dreaming ...Fallis point maybe?

pikehunter1989
02-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Went out today.....got there by 7:30, set up in the tent. Looked outside a few hours later....wow tons of people. We caught about 5 pike, nothing too big. I found it abit slow there today and was wondering if all the people driving around and drilling a new hole every 10 sec had someting to do with it. Was thinking of finding another place around Wab that aint so busy....or am i just dreaming ...Fallis point maybe?

Hey I was out there today aswell. Ya it was defiantly a bit slower than usual. I was the guy out there in the white dodge. And I personally have never had a issue with augers scaring pike. Numerous times I have punched a hole just find that I have a flag up on the hole I was about to
Move. One day it almost seemed to lure them
In a bit it seemed

maclennanchris
02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
yeah right on....we were right next to you in the black Frabill tent. How did you guys make out anyhow. We liked your shack.....looked like a solid design.
One of the guys we were fishing with says that he thinks the augers sound brings em in. You guys stay much longer...??

alodar
02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
I was with pike hunter left before them but they were talkin of taking off at 6pm I left at 510

pikehunter1989
02-14-2011, 07:02 AM
yeah right on....we were right next to you in the black Frabill tent. How did you guys make out anyhow. We liked your shack.....looked like a solid design.
One of the guys we were fishing with says that he thinks the augers sound brings em in. You guys stay much longer...??

where we were it was kinda slow. than we took off down the lake to a diffrent spot to meet up with geezle. he caught a few nice ones before we got there. one being 18 lbs. the end of the day was super busy. had a double header going with jay and both were wrapped up supper bad and couldnt get them to turn up the hole.took a few minutes but we got them. but they did seem to come in spurts for sure.

and thanks for the comments on the hut..it works great. keeps your feet off the ice and warm..especially once that sun comes out and hits the black tarp.

Geezle
02-14-2011, 07:08 AM

Now that access is getting better go do a little exploring. Seems like everybody likes to fish right near the dock, which is fine when access isn't so good, but when it's so easy to drive out again, I don't see the point in hanging out with the crowd fishing the same fish everybody else is. There's tons of fish in that lake, and even if you go a couple hundred yards away from the main pack I think you're likely to do better. :)

If you want we can get together out there one day and do a little exploring. You can lead the expedition and pick where you want to try, and I'll bring out the power auger to do the grunt work for us :)

edit: I'm also part of the group that thinks that at least sometimes the commotion of the power auger does attract curious pike

lakerman
02-14-2011, 08:04 AM
saw all of ya, I was on the rt, in the green tacoma:argue2:

maclennanchris
02-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds like a plan Jay.....you going out to the derby on Sunday? I was thinkng of maybe skipping it and heading there Saturday....either way dude ill take ya up on the exploring for sure....

FishingFrenzy
02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey guys,
Ends up i was there yesterday but got SKUNKED! Tried in the marina for a while but didnt get any bites so we headed over to fallis, not much better but we did get a few bites and lost a couple on tipups. Talked to a couple guys off the end of fallis and it seemed like it was just a SLOW day. Im not discouraged from going back but this is the 4th out of 5 trips i have been SKUNKED!!!

We tried everything from jigging spoons to big smelts on tipups, the smelts are the ones that got the bites.

tight lines!

pikehunter1989
02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Hey guys,
Ends up i was there yesterday but got SKUNKED! Tried in the marina for a while but didnt get any bites so we headed over to fallis, not much better but we did get a few bites and lost a couple on tipups. Talked to a couple guys off the end of fallis and it seemed like it was just a SLOW day. Im not discouraged from going back but this is the 4th out of 5 trips i have been SKUNKED!!!

We tried everything from jigging spoons to big smelts on tipups, the smelts are the ones that got the bites.

tight lines!

I'm going to try to head out atleast once next weekend if you care to join. I have never technically skunked out there. Someone in the group is always catching. Jay is also a very good guy to get you on some good pike. Sounds like your doing everything right just havnt had the luck. I have caught pike everywhere in the marina. From 4 fow to 12 fow.

FishingFrenzy
02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm going to try to head out atleast once next weekend if you care to join. I have never technically skunked out there. Someone in the group is always catching. Jay is also a very good guy to get you on some good pike. Sounds like your doing everything right just havnt had the luck. I have caught pike everywhere in the marina. From 4 fow to 12 fow.

ahh i would love too but not gonna risk getting skunked again.. Im heading to spring for about 500000 4 inch perch

TrollGRG
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
You know you are a redneck when you take your girl to Wab to go fishing for Valentines Day. :sHa_shakeshout:

You know she is too when she doesn't want to leave at the end of the day.

Lots of perch but no pike. She was happy with that so I didn't complain. :love0025:

curtis_rak
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Today was SLOW around the sailing club. 3 of us landed 5 Pike all day. Fished everything from 5'-13' of water.

And, as TrollGRG sais, lots of Perch.... but they are all 3-5"