PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Info

PatF
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum as I am new to reloading, I was wondering if I made the right powder and primer choice for reloading 300 win mag ammo. I checked out the Hogdon web site and reloading data and decided on the Hogdon H4831 rifle powder and my gunsmith gave me large rifle primers, at the time I wasn't aware that there were "magnum primers" and I have Hornady 165 gr interlock bullets, is this combination ok, if not what should I change, I've been reading manuals and on-line info and depending on where you look you get different information. also I just got a 243 win that I'm going to be making my own loads for I already have the cases and bullets (Hornady interlock 95 gr) any advice on powder and primers. The only powder I can get in stock is hogdon but my gunsmith can order others.
I know some of you will say read the manuals but believe me I have read a few and a boat load of reloading info on-line at powder and bullet manufacturer sites plus reloading sites, so I just think at this point to get info from some of you with experience is the best way to go right now.
I haven't started reloading yet but I have all the gear including what I've mentioned, just waiting for some warm weather. (no basement or heated shed :( )

elkhunter11
02-13-2011, 12:41 PM
It is easy to come up with a load that will shoot safely in your gun,but it usually takes more time and testing to determine which loads will be the most accurate loads in your gun.I find that in the larger cases like the 300winmag,magnum primers usually produce the most consistent results.You say that you are waiting for warmer weather because you don't have a basement or heated shed.Is your intent to do your loading outside,or in an unheated shed?If so,be sure to keep your powder and primers cool and dry while being stored.Make sure that you have a solid bench,with no drafts that can effect a scale,for the actual loading.Start with a reduced load,and don't assume that all maximum loads listed in manuals,or on sites will be safe in your guns.

PatF
02-13-2011, 02:17 PM
It is easy to come up with a load that will shoot safely in your gun,but it usually takes more time and testing to determine which loads will be the most accurate loads in your gun.I find that in the larger cases like the 300winmag,magnum primers usually produce the most consistent results.You say that you are waiting for warmer weather because you don't have a basement or heated shed.Is your intent to do your loading outside,or in an unheated shed?If so,be sure to keep your powder and primers cool and dry while being stored.Make sure that you have a solid bench,with no drafts that can effect a scale,for the actual loading.Start with a reduced load,and don't assume that all maximum loads listed in manuals,or on sites will be safe in your guns.
I have a shed that I'll be doing my reloading in but in the meantime I have my powder, primers and everything else stored safely in a room inside my house, I do have a good solid bench built in my shed, and no there's no drafts or anything it,s a good shed I just don't have it heated, I never had a need to until now (next winter it will have heat)

Cowtown guy
02-13-2011, 04:36 PM
1) Keep reading the manuals. All of the info you need to start reloading is in the front parts of the manuals. Pay particular attention to the section that explains pressure signs. They are important for the safety of the shooter and the longevity of your brass.

2) Never trust info you get from online forums. A lot of people will come on here amd list their loads for powder weights. You have to remember that every gun is differrent and what is safe in my gun may not be safe in your gun. Yu have to start at the minimums and slowly and safely work your way up while watching for pressure signs.

3) This is a good place to ask for powder recommendations though. Certain calibres seem to like different powder burn rates. the 7mm Rem mag for example seems to love 4831. I'll bet 80% of shooters have great results with this powder. Not everyone but if most have good results then its a good place to start. The .243 seems to like IMR 4064 for me. I have heard of others using this as well as IMR 4350.

4) Learn how to measure to the lands of your gun. Then learn how to measure your rounds to the ogive of the bullet. That is a much more consistent way of measuring, as you can control how far from the lands your bullet's ogive sits and that will allow you to get better accuracy in the end.

5) Always remember that someone may know more then you and be open to their ideas. I have learned a ton in the last 3 years here and I will continue to learn I'm sure.

Good luck and stay safe.

gitrdun
02-13-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a shed that I'll be doing my reloading in but in the meantime I have my powder, primers and everything else stored safely in a room inside my house, I do have a good solid bench built in my shed, and no there's no drafts or anything it,s a good shed I just don't have it heated, I never had a need to until now (next winter it will have heat)

Sorry, but reloading in a shed just doesn't make sense to me. Reload in the living room for cryin' out loud. Stay away from the Screech too.

greylynx
02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Sorry, but reloading in a shed just doesn't make sense to me. Reload in the living room for cryin' out loud. Stay away from the Screech too.

C'mon gitrdun, you must know a few single guys that reload on the kitchen table too. I do.

In fact I ask if I can keep the empties on the table to buy some bullets for myself.

As for myself I do not reload loaded.

gitrdun
02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
C'mon gitrdun, you must know a few single guys that reload on the kitchen table too. I do.

In fact I ask if I can keep the empties on the table to buy some bullets for myself.

As for myself I do not reload loaded.

Do not reload loaded... I like that.

PatF
02-13-2011, 05:28 PM
WHAT!!!!!!!! HAHHAH, do you want my wife to kill me, I'd rather be blown up with a reloading screwup,,,,, You can't be married, anyway thanks for that, oh and the Screech is safe, anyone who can drink that would drink tar.

gitrdun
02-13-2011, 05:44 PM
WHAT!!!!!!!! HAHHAH, do you want my wife to kill me, I'd rather be blown up with a reloading screwup,,,,, You can't be married, anyway thanks for that, oh and the Screech is safe, anyone who can drink that would drink tar.

Well, whatever way you choose, don't blow your arse outta there. And "yes" I'm married, for over 30 years, my wife recognizes that I'm at my best behaviour when I reload. Take me advise bud, relax and be cool when you load up. How's about me coming out on the rock and shooting one of them big moose.....trade you for a whitetail hunt? by the bye.

densa44
02-13-2011, 05:52 PM
It is not as hard as you may be lead to believe! The key is to keep good records, and that means knowing what is in each shell. That is not so easy if you have made sat 20 rounds moving up .5 grains a time. Make sure you know which is which.

Start with the 243, it is fun and easier to shoot. Leave the elephant gun until you get a bit more practice.

I'd say start with the cheapest powder recommended for you guns. If you can find one that will work in both, go with that.

Don't assume that the first rounds you make will be in your pack for that African safari. The first ones are to SHOOT. Like the boys have said some will work better than others, you will like some powders better than others, so have fun, shoot lots and write soon!

tchardy1972
02-13-2011, 07:14 PM
H 4831 will work great in your 243 win with that weight off bullet. This would be a great way to use the primers that you already have.

PatF
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
H 4831 will work great in your 243 win with that weight off bullet. This would be a great way to use the primers that you already have.
Yea thanks, I actually called Hogdon this morning and they said the same thing, (said it's a great powder for both guns) so I'll start with that, I also ordered one of their Annual Manuals.

PatF
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
It is not as hard as you may be lead to believe! The key is to keep good records, and that means knowing what is in each shell. That is not so easy if you have made sat 20 rounds moving up .5 grains a time. Make sure you know which is which.

Start with the 243, it is fun and easier to shoot. Leave the elephant gun until you get a bit more practice.

I'd say start with the cheapest powder recommended for you guns. If you can find one that will work in both, go with that.

Don't assume that the first rounds you make will be in your pack for that African safari. The first ones are to SHOOT. Like the boys have said some will work better than others, you will like some powders better than others, so have fun, shoot lots and write soon!
I've taken my 300 win mag to the range a few times now and it's a dream to shoot, it has a muzzle brake along with the new soft recoil pad, you can shoot that thing all day without getting so much as an ache in your shoulder, but I can't wait to try out the 243 I bet I'm going to be shooting allot with that one. I called Hogdon this morning and they told me that the H4831 is a great choice for both guns. I also got the correct load data for both guns with the ammo that I have so I'm ready to get started. I can't wait to actually shoot my own rounds.

ram crazy
02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
You will have to play around with different loads and find one that works well with that rifle. I use would a Magnum primer and you may surprised that you don't have to use as much powder to get it to group well!!!

PatF
02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
You will have to play around with different loads and find one that works well with that rifle. I use would a Magnum primer and you may surprised that you don't have to use as much powder to get it to group well!!!
Yes thanks, I'm going to pick up some magnum primers this week, I spoke to my gunsmith and he thought he gave me magnums, or so he said, anyway no harm done I can use the ones I have for the 243. I've read that allot about reduced loads resulting in better accuracy, makes sense, I guess it results in less recoil which results in better grouping and that's my aim (pardon the pun) I want to enter some shooting competitions at the club when they start.

elkhunter11
02-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I've read that allot about reduced loads resulting in better accuracy, makes sense, I guess it results in less recoil which results in better grouping and that's my aim (pardon the pun) I want to enter some shooting competitions at the club when they start.

Many firearms are most accurate when using close to maximum loads.The only way to find out,is by shooting your rifles with different loads.

sikwhiskey
02-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Many firearms are most accurate when using close to maximum loads.The only way to find out,is by shooting your rifles with different loads.

Yep, both my 300's shoot better at near max. IMR 4831 and H4831sc with 180 grn bullets and IMR 7828, H 1000 with 200 tsx and 210 grn Berger hunting Vlds. I have also had good luck with Win brass and CCI 250 primers.
I haven't developed a load for punching paper only as everthing I tend to reload for I take in the field to hunt with.
Good luck.

222rem
02-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Right OR wrong......... My out take on primers.
Warm weather standard primers.
Cold weather magnum primers.
Ball powder magnum primers.

couleefolk
02-16-2011, 05:06 PM
most people i know with the 300winmags say they can't get anything under 180gr bullets to shoot well. I use a 180gr sierra gameking, because the 150gr were all over the map with my gun.

elkhunter11
02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
most people i know with the 300winmags say they can't get anything under 180gr bullets to shoot well. I use a 180gr sierra gameking, because the 150gr were all over the map with my gun.

I know of several 300 winmag rifles that shoot 165gr to 168gr bullets quite well.

couleefolk
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
it may depend on the twist in the barrel, but the rifles i know of are all hunting rifles, and shoot way better with the heavier bullets, but maybe it has something to do with being further east than most of you.

32-40win
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I have found one method that seems to help in picking a powder for use in a given cartridge, not for the charge weight, just for the most versatile powders for that cartridge.
Look at 4 or 5 different manuals, ie; Hodgdon, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Barnes.
pick the bullet weight you want to use---say the 180gr for your 300.
What are the top five powders across the board in those manuals?
Go up & down one bullet weight across the board again.
Do you now see a particular powder that is consistently top three? Or maybe two that are top five all the way across? or a couple that are 4 out of 5 in the top 5?
That is a way to at least come up with some good choices. It isn't necessarily going to guarantee you get the most accurate or the fastest velocity for your gun, but one that is quite likely to work very well in that gun.

303carbine
02-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum as I am new to reloading, I was wondering if I made the right powder and primer choice for reloading 300 win mag ammo. I checked out the Hogdon web site and reloading data and decided on the Hogdon H4831 rifle powder and my gunsmith gave me large rifle primers, at the time I wasn't aware that there were "magnum primers" and I have Hornady 165 gr interlock bullets, is this combination ok, if not what should I change, I've been reading manuals and on-line info and depending on where you look you get different information. also I just got a 243 win that I'm going to be making my own loads for I already have the cases and bullets (Hornady interlock 95 gr) any advice on powder and primers. The only powder I can get in stock is hogdon but my gunsmith can order others.
I know some of you will say read the manuals but believe me I have read a few and a boat load of reloading info on-line at powder and bullet manufacturer sites plus reloading sites, so I just think at this point to get info from some of you with experience is the best way to go right now.
I haven't started reloading yet but I have all the gear including what I've mentioned, just waiting for some warm weather. (no basement or heated shed :( )

With the case capacity of the 300, I prefer bullets in the 190 grain range. The 165 grainer is a good bullet for the 308 or 30-06 size cases. The heavier bullets will have more velocity and will drop velocity less once the range gets into the 300 - 400 yard distance.

elkhunter11
02-17-2011, 05:49 AM
The 165 grainer is a good bullet for the 308 or 30-06 size cases. The heavier bullets will have more velocity and will drop velocity less once the range gets into the 300 - 400 yard distance.

Out to 500 yards or so,the 165gr bullets work just fine.Beyond that, the heavier bullets offer some advantage.

Tracker34
02-17-2011, 07:07 AM
I came up with a nice load for my 300 wm. Max load of IMR 4350, Winchester primers pushing a 180 gr accubond. I haven't used magnum primers and my loads seem to work fine. I found seating depth was a really big factor in my accuracy. I'm fairly new to the loading scene and still learning.

PatF
02-17-2011, 07:10 AM
The reason for me having the 150gr hornady bullets for my 300 win mag, is, I bought a Hornady reloading kit that came with 500 free bullets and that's all that was offered in 30 cal 308 diameter, I purchased my 243 after the fact and called Hornady to try and change the bullets for the 243 instead of the 30 cal but by the time I called they already had them sent.

PatF
02-17-2011, 07:27 AM
I have to thank all of you guys for the great advice you've given, I didn't think I'd get so many replies, I'll take all of your advice and use it I'm sure it'll make me a better reloaded and shooter, Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice, Pat. Keep it coming I have lots to learn. I've already ordered a couple more manuals hopefully they'll be here soon.
I know allot of you are probably wondering why I'd have 150 grain bullets for my 300 win mag, well, the reason is, I bought a Hornady reloading kit that came with a promotional offer of 500 free bullets and that was the only bullet that was available in 30 cal and at the time I didn't have my 243, when I ordered my 243 I called Hornady to see if I could change the bullets to 243 cal but by that time they already had the bullets sent, so I have them, they were free and I may as well use them, (unless I find someone that would like to buy them at a low price for a 308 or something). Anyway thanks again.

Robmcleod82
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
I have had good results with 4831 in the 300 win with 180 grain nosler ballistic tips and H1000 with 190 grain bergers. 4831 is decent in my 243 with 80 grain bergers You also might want to try varget in your 243 it doesnt work well in mine with the heavier bullets but great with the 55 grain balistic tips, there are many guys that swear by varget. Also 4064 has been quite good for a few friends in there 243s. What kind of rifle is your 243?

PatF
02-18-2011, 10:16 AM
I have had good results with 4831 in the 300 win with 180 grain nosler ballistic tips and H1000 with 190 grain bergers. 4831 is decent in my 243 with 80 grain bergers You also might want to try varget in your 243 it doesnt work well in mine with the heavier bullets but great with the 55 grain balistic tips, there are many guys that swear by varget. Also 4064 has been quite good for a few friends in there 243s. What kind of rifle is your 243?
Both my rifles are Savage, the 243 is a cheaper model I bought to see if I like it (never even fired a 243 before) if I like the caliber I am planning on getting something a bit better later (heavier barrel, better action etc)

Robmcleod82
02-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Those savage rifles have a nasty reputation for shooting great. 243 is a great caliber fairly flat shooting low recoil and a fairly wide selection of bullets and powders available that will work well. I'm pretty sure you will have fun with it

PatF
02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Those savage rifles have a nasty reputation for shooting great. 243 is a great caliber fairly flat shooting low recoil and a fairly wide selection of bullets and powders available that will work well. I'm pretty sure you will have fun with it
I know the 300 win mag shoots great and with the muzzle brake and the soft recoil pad you can shoot it all day like I said earlier, I only hope my 243 shoots as straight