PDA

View Full Version : Best brand of ammunition reloader to buy and why.

280Hunter
02-13-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm wanting to get into reloading and just wanted to get some advice on what a good brand etc is for a reloader.

whitetailhntr
02-13-2011, 09:28 PM
rcbs rock chucker kit comes with everything you need to get started.

gitrdun
02-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Best brand of what? you are so, so far away from a good decision. But, you're about to get every opinion in the world.....stand by!

BallCoeff.435
02-13-2011, 09:47 PM
An RCBS progressive is a good setup if you're reloading for both sidearm stack cartridges and rifle bottlenecks.

Once you have a good load defined for a particular cartridge, the powder throw stays quite consistent after you get it set up for either stacks or bottlenecks. But it serves little purpose until you have standardized on a particular load and can run that for awhile without changing. In fact seating depth for larger rifle cartridges will drift by two or three thou, maybe even 4 or 5 on a bad day. But that can be checked with calipers every few rounds and corrected.

If you think you're going to be doing long runs of a particular cartridge, best to get a progressive right off the bat. That's because you can of course use it for singles too, and you avoid wasting money on something you have to get rid of eventually. If you're only doing a couple of rounds occasionally, or will be forever playing around with seating depths and powders and bullet types etc for competition, then the progressive won't do you much good.

280Hunter
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
I would want a fairly easy to use yet accurate reloading kit and preferably not a really expensive one either. just want to reload for my hunting rifle and a future coyote rig.

densa44
02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
No shotgun shells? If you just want to reload center fire ammo, how much do you shoot? If 100 or so at a time, a one off loader will suit you just fine.

How well do you shoot? How good do you want to get? Just targets?

The target shooters will get accuracy that is hard to believe, you can get that too if you practice and work on your loads. If hitting a loonie at 100M is a big improvement from where you are now, a press that is closed, a square or circle will do a fine job for you. Rockchucker, Lee and a few others that are no longer made can be got for a reasonable price on e-bay.

Good Luck.

rottie
02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
If your close to Lacombe and would like to try out an RCBS press and other assorted stuff before buying anything pm me.

Rockymtnx
02-13-2011, 10:50 PM
I am another one to say get a RCBS Rockchucker Kit. This is all you need to get started, and even when you upgrade some of the smaller things in the kit, the press will always be top notch. You will never wear a Rockchucker out. It maybe a little more money, but you won't regret it in the long run.

Got Juice?
02-13-2011, 11:56 PM
I love my Dillon 550. Pistol, rifle, whatever, it will load it :)

I have yet to try out their shotgun reloader though.

PJT
02-14-2011, 09:56 AM
RCBS Hornady Lyman and Redding are all equal in performance and warranty.

There should be one better than the other but truthfully they are all excellent machines, it comes down to personal prefererance.

Me, I use Hornady because of the support, warranty and ease of purchasing and I like the Lock and Load system.

Scar270
02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I am another one to say get a RCBS Rockchucker Kit. This is all you need to get started, and even when you upgrade some of the smaller things in the kit, the press will always be top notch. You will never wear a Rockchucker out. It maybe a little more money, but you won't regret it in the long run.

I agree, I started out with this, and now have thousands invested into reloading equipment, including many progressive presses, yet my rockchucker sees use still.

If your looking at RCBS, take a close look at this and the partner press kit. The Rock Chucker kit is quite a bit more money, but when you look at the extra's that come in the kit, your really getting a better press for about the same money, and the extra's in the kit are things you will probably want anyway.

The big difference is the caming action in the Rock Chucker, it's much easier to resize large cases, I went to a buddies to help him set up his partner press, and I couldn't figure out what I did wrong that his brass was sizing so hard, till I realized it was just the lack of mechanical advantage in comparison to the rock chucker.

I've had great service from both RCBS and Dillon. In the single stage world, I don't know if there is any press out there that you will go wrong with, but some are more enjoyable to operate.

Scott N
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I bought my Rockchucker press way back in 1982 and I've never had any issues with it at all. I would go RCBS myself, although like others have mentioned, Hornady, Lymann, and Dillon all make good stuff. Lee has a good reputation for guys on a budget, but their quality is not quite the same, although it's still perfectly functional equipment. It all depends on what you plan on reloading too.... if you plan on reloading a lot of pistol ammo, a progressive press might be the way to go.

280Hunter
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody:) It sounds like I should get the Rock chucker kit.