PDA

View Full Version : Hali and Salmon Fishing Locations and Charters

Jon_Boy
11-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm planning on heading out west for some Halibut and Salmon fishing next year and I was hoping anyone with some experience could give me a bit of guidance. This will be my first trip to the coast for fishing, I have done quite a bit of research but would like to hear first hand about your experiences. Where and when have you fished and what for? Would you recommend it and are there any specific companies you were really pleased with?

Thanks,
Jon

Rigg dogg
11-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Check out BC sport fishing forum, use the search feature. Lots of info on there.

www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/

scarey
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I meet up with friends every year and we go to Bamfield with a couple of our own boats, 17' and 26'. Some years we do outstanding and some not so great. Weather and differences in the seasonal norms play such a big part. If its too dry and no rain the fish usually stay way out and a good boat is required. We really watch the weather, stay up to date on reports and try to adjust our trip up to the last possible moment. The last two years we did well during the 2 and 3rd weeks of Aug respectively but this year we thought late was better and went the 1st week of Sept and most of the fish were still way out.
Good luck....

nakoda13
11-27-2007, 06:44 AM
My father and I have been going to Homer Alsaka every two years to fish for halibut and salmon we limit out every year on both. You are probably thinking that this is extremely expensive but in comparison to some of the lodges on the charlottes etc it is very economical and with our dollar doing so well it now makes it even cheaper, we fly in to anchorage about $600, rent a vehicle and drive to Homer, stay in a cozy cabin for $8o bucks a night and get a guide at $200 a day/person. All fish is then vacuum packed and flash frozen, we each bring home 100lbs of fish, which usually lasts me about 1 1/2 years in the freezer. Plus you have the oppurtunity of catching a halibut of a lifetime, we had a halibut on for over two hours and eventually lost it our guide Keith Kalke figures it could have been 200+ lbs. we book with Ocean Hunter charters Capt keith kalke, oceanhuntercharters.com
We are planning to go back the first week in August this year and now we have 6 guys coming with us.

to check it out just google homer alaska

Unregistered user
11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
www.islandangler.net great site and the magazine is well worth subscribing to.

gramps73
11-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Depending how far into BC you want to go, the further you go the better the fishing gets i find. I go to Port Hardy every year for the last 7 years, there are lots of guides out there but Jim at the Cod Father charters is about the best. Depending on the tides you will fish Salmon in the morning and bottom fish in the afternoon. I would say a trip late July to mid August would be best bang for the buck.
Gramps

hunt_and_fish
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Depending how far into BC you want to go, the further you go the better the fishing gets i find. I go to Port Hardy every year for the last 7 years, there are lots of guides out there but Jim at the Cod Father charters is about the best. Depending on the tides you will fish Salmon in the morning and bottom fish in the afternoon. I would say a trip late July to mid August would be best bang for the buck.
Gramps

X2 on the CodFather. They have a great spot for you to stay right by the water and their rates are pretty reasonable.

In my opinion, the Hali fishing is great in Port Hardy but the salmon fishing is better elsewhere.

Ucluelet is another option - the Hali generally don't average as big as in Port Hardy but tons in the 20 - 30 lb range and lots of salmon too.

stubblejumper
11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Ucluelet is another option - the Hali generally don't average as big as in Port Hardy but tons in the 20 - 30 lb range and lots of salmon too.

I have been to Ucluelet twice in early June.We caught our share of halibut in the 10 to 30lb range and some salmon in the 10 to 20lb range.However ,we didn't see many bigger fish caught at all.I have been to Rivers Inlet twice and caught Chinook ranging from 32 lbs to 59lbs,and Coho in the 10lb to 15lb range.However Halibut fishing was not good at all,but I chose Rivers Inlet for the salmon fishing.I have been with Oak Bay Marine Group four times now and the service and equipment has been first rate.I am so pleased,that I already have two trips booked for next summer.

Shovelhead 74
12-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Check out the Sporstman show in February. either Edmonton or Calgary.
Usually a lot of vendors from B.C. Some offer show specials etc.