PDA

View Full Version : knots,

Trey
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
what kind of knot do you guys like to use? whats your favorite? do you use different knots for spoons vs spinners vs rapellas? post some comments on your favs, post some pics on how to tie it. me personally, i struggle with tying line to other line,

We have all had that cast where you only hear half of that woosh sound followed by a snap, and watch helplessly as your $7 lure gets bombed out into the middle of the lake farther than you'd ever be able to cast normally,

(happened 3 times i can remember so far, once on the very first cast of a brand new spoon due to line abrasion that i failed to notice, and once on the only thing in both mine and my buddies box that was actually catching anything that day!)

dragon
02-14-2011, 02:39 PM
MY question is what knot do you use to tie your leader to your tip up line with?

AlbertaAngler
02-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I use the palomar knot for tip and super lines. Doesn't slip and seems to have good knot strength.

PERCHY
02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
LMAO yes yes yes the pike were destroying the buzzbait...i failed to notice the line abrasion as well and it went flying...heartbreaker

My favorite knot to tie that never lets me down is the Palomar knot. It seems to be the strongest knot ive used so far. Im bad at directions so heres a video of someone else doing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXigW2xRCg

i have to give an honorable mention to the clinch knot..

If you have trouble tying to lines together try the Blood knot

Photoplex
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I use the palomar knot for tip and super lines. Doesn't slip and seems to have good knot strength.

It's an outstanding knot. Use it for most things. Really strong knot. Every time I've tested it (tied it onto a jig head, and pulled my line hard to break it) the break is mid line - not at the knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php

PERCHY
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
dragon

i use the palomar knot for that but you could use the clinch knot as well..its personal preference

chubbdarter
02-14-2011, 03:39 PM
MY question is what knot do you use to tie your leader to your tip up line with?

i generally use a small ant swivel(barrel) for the connection on my windlass tip-ups.
if your running line is similar in diameter to your leader a blood knot will work well

Willowtrail
02-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I use the palomar knot for my braids and have started using fluorocarbon leaders this winter so I use the advanced clinch for the fluoro. To join the 2 lines together I use the double uni knot. Super easy to tie and fast too.for my tipup I just put on a snap swivel and used a 3 way swivel and fluoro leads on my quick strike rig.

dragon
02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
dragon

i use the palomar knot for that but you could use the clinch knot as well..its personal preference

That's what I've been using but since I just started into the world of tip ups I wanted to make sure there wasn't any thing special.

And I run my tipup line straight on to a 24" steel leader through a barrel swivel.

PERCHY
02-14-2011, 04:12 PM
And I run my tipup line straight on to a 24" steel leader through a barrel swivel.

that knot will hold any pike period..

ice
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Generally I usually dont put a leader on the tipup, unless im on wab.
I Use a Thicker Braided 10 Pound Line tied directly to the hook With an Uni Knot. I Find it stands up well to larger pike., Aswell as it dosent discourage the walleye from biting, On my rod i usually have 4-6 pound test. and i use a palomar, very strong knot, iv brought in many large fish on very small line.

PERCHY
02-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Generally I usually dont put a leader on the tipup, unless im on wab.
I Use a Thicker Braided 10 Pound Line tied directly to the hook With an Uni Knot. I Find it stands up well to larger pike., Aswell as it dosent discourage the walleye from biting, On my rod i usually have 4-6 pound test. and i use a palomar, very strong knot, iv brought in many large fish on very small line.

you know i was actually thinking of taking my leader off of my tip up. i dont use a leader in the summer when i use braided and ive never had a problem there so tip ups should be the same...

Photoplex
02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
I usually have a small barrel swivel (little black one like CD mentioned) permanently on the end of my tip-up line tied on with a palomar.

When I'm sitting around at home bored, I make a bunch of 3ft leaders with mono, and stick on a swivel snap on the other end (tied on with a palomar).

When I'm on the ice, I tie on some terminal tackle (with a palomar knot), and just snap it onto the swivel on the tip-up. When I want to change tactics, I can tie on a different presentation to one of the spare mono leaders, pull up the existing one, swap them over, and boom - 0 downtime.

Dust1n
02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
loop+clinch knot works great

PERCHY
02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
I usually have a small barrel swivel (little black one like CD mentioned) permanently on the end of my tip-up line tied on with a palomar.

When I'm sitting around at home bored, I make a bunch of 3ft leaders with mono, and stick on a swivel snap on the other end (tied on with a palomar).

When I'm on the ice, I tie on some terminal tackle (with a palomar knot), and just snap it onto the swivel on the tip-up. When I want to change tactics, I can tie on a different presentation to one of the spare mono leaders, pull up the existing one, swap them over, and boom - 0 downtime.

just outta curiosity what are you targeting with that mono leader on your tip up?

192 whitey
02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I use polomar knot for just about everything rigs jigs and even my anchor.

Deano85
02-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Palomar, fish'n'fool knot and for loop knots the king sling.

Photoplex
02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
just outta curiosity what are you targeting with that mono leader on your tip up?

Walleye. If I start getting pike sniffing around I add a 6" metal leader (super fine - it's only 16 or 20lb or something!) to the end if the mono. Helps protect against the sharp gnashers on the pike, and is fine enough to not spook the walleye.

DanJ
02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
The pros (the lucky guys who test lines and lures and write field test reports about it afterward for a living ) recomend avoiding Palomar knot on fluorocarbon line. Stick to improved clinch. Palomar is recomended by line manufacturers for braids.

Best knot I know of for joining braid to fluorocarbon or monofilament is Albright knot but please tell me there's something better. There just has to be.

I've never had a properly-tied nail knot fail but some guys feel it's safer to use double nail knot for fly line to backing.

Christofficer
02-14-2011, 10:21 PM
The strongest knots are the palomar and trilene knots. I use the trilene knot mostly though, for flouro and mono. I've honestly never once had a break at the knot with the trilene knot. Even when pulling a snag. I actually pulled up a rock before without it breaking, and bent/broke hooks before the knot broke.

lifesaflyin
02-14-2011, 10:24 PM
The pros (the lucky guys who test lines and lures and write field test reports about it afterward for a living ) recomend avoiding Palomar knot on fluorocarbon line. Stick to improved clinch. Palomar is recomended by line manufacturers for braids.

Best knot I know of for joining braid to fluorocarbon or monofilament is Albright knot but please tell me there's something better. There just has to be.

I've never had a properly-tied nail knot fail but some guys feel it's safer to use double nail knot for fly line to backing.

loop to loop. strong easy and fast.:)

lineman4 life
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
For those who don't know there are many apps available with descriptions and step by step intstructions for knots. Very useful when you're out and about.

Geezle
02-15-2011, 09:22 PM
For my tip-up I just have a big ol' Mustad snap swivel tied on to the main line with a palomar knot. For fishing out at Wab I tie my own leaders and quick strike rigs with 50lb Fluoro leader material, and then just clip on whichever I want to use. When a leader or quick strike starts to get mangled up I can quickly change it up with the snap. I'm lazy :)

WayneChristie
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Trey
02-16-2011, 02:50 AM
all great info and questions, thanks for the links, learn something new everyday

Freedom55
02-16-2011, 09:14 AM
www.netknots.com