PDA

View Full Version : Scope bases

Skybuster
02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Here I go showing my inexperience again. I am going to have a scope mounted on a new rifle. I am in contact with P&D. I have the scope and will be buying the rifle from them. They have said they have Optilok bases (and rings?) for that gun. They also said Leupold rings would slide right on as well. My choice. My scope is a leupold VXIII 4.5x16, low profile.

Any advice on which way to turn? I am very comfortable with staying with leupold all the way, but I don't know Optilok, are they good, better, cheap?

thanks for any and all advice.

tchardy1972
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Depending on the gun P&D carries the whole Burris Signature line. Look Them up at www.burrisoptics.com.

wwbirds
02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
If the rifle is Sako you probably have to use the Optilock which are expensive but if it is a tikka you have many choices including the Burris Zee rings mounted on a pair of Weaver 61 bases which are really cheap ($4. each). That is how I did mine. You can use a low ring with this set up.
Rob

Skybuster
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
If the rifle is Sako you probably have to use the Optilock which are expensive but if it is a tikka you have many choices including the Burris Zee rings mounted on a pair of Weaver 61 bases which are really cheap ($4. each). That is how I did mine. You can use a low ring with this set up.
Rob

Actually it is a Sako. From your comment, Optiks are expensive, and with this I take it they are quality? I am more concerned with the quality of the piece than I am with paying a bit more. But not ridiculous amounts more.

elkhunter11
02-15-2011, 05:52 AM
If the rifle is Sako you probably have to use the Optilock

No you don't.There are several options for Sako rifles,including Leupold ringmounts,and mounts and rings by Warne,Talley and others.I personally prefer the Leupold ringmounts on Sako rifles.

sheephunter
02-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Actually it is a Sako. From your comment, Optiks are expensive, and with this I take it they are quality? I am more concerned with the quality of the piece than I am with paying a bit more. But not ridiculous amounts more.

Optilocks are very high quality rings but a bit fussy to get lined up but once set, they are as good as any out there. Nothing wrong with the Leupolds either but depending on cartridge of the rifle, you might want to insist upon dual dovetails.