PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 243win

redmega
02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I am trying to find a load that works good in a .243win. The factory loads are shooting at 3035fps and my best group for the reloads are 300fps slower. I was just wondering if that drop would make much differnce in hitting power or if i should try to match the factory loads.

densa44
02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
How good is the group you have now? You can get it to one ragged hole if you keep at it. MVP doesn't count as much as accuracy.

Jims71duster
02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I am trying to find a load that works good in a .243win. The factory loads are shooting at 3035fps and my best group for the reloads are 300fps slower. I was just wondering if that drop would make much differnce in hitting power or if i should try to match the factory loads.

then try a different powder. if you want the same or more velocity then you gotta go find it. Its all a trial and error thing and it takes time to get the perfect load for yourself. You could change the pill and go to a different powder either of those will change the recipe. follow the book for each change closely. The 300fps is not much but what makes the difference is the bullet, they all react differently at different speeds. Do the research on the bullet that you want at the velocity you feel you need and deveolp from there. If you are hung up on a certain bullet and that powder isnt working for you than head back to the book and try another until your happy. you might have to give up on a certain pill if your gun doesnt like it and go to you next choice and start over

redmega
02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
I have tried a couple diffrent powder and bullet choices, the best so far is a hornady sst with 43.5gr of reloder 22. I got a half inch 3 shot group at 100yds, so i was gonna stick with that combo. Im sure that a deer wouldnt know the diffrence but I am still wondering about the hitting power, is there some kind of formula to figure out the energy? Thanks for the help.

SHORTMAG
02-16-2011, 04:08 AM
After a lot of testing with my 243 loads, I have a deer load...39.8 gr of IMR 4350 with the Nosler 95 gr B/T and Hdy SST...WLR primer...will shoot less than 1/2" MOA @ 100 yds and usually under an inch @ 200 yds!

...For yotes...43.3 gr of IMR 4064....55 gr Noslet B/T...WLR primer..3 shots - one ragged hole at 100 yds....1 inch @ 200 yds also....BUT...there's about a 4 inch height difference @ 100 yds between the two when I switch em up! These are not maximum loads cuzz I load for accuracy first and foremost.

Remember........Speed kills...but accuracy kills MORE!!

Here's the formula to figure out Energy in Foot Pounds.......................

bullet weight in grains X velocity{squared}

For example......150 grain bullet @ 2700 FPS

150 X 2700(2)
____________ = 2428 FT LBS

redmega
02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the formula Shortmag. I got another question for you if you dont mind, when a somebody is developing a load I know a person should start with the minimum load but what size increments to you go up after each testing? And if you get an accurate load with a lower ammount of powder is it possible to get the same accuracy with a higher ammount, using the same powder, primer and length? Thanks

222rem
02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
If you shooting at reasonable range I don't deer will notice the difference .

SHORTMAG
02-17-2011, 06:30 AM
I usually start one grain UP from minimum load...I load 5 rounds of each test load...moving UP by 1/2 grain increments..seating all to the same OAL. I almost always end up with 35 to 40 rounds loaded for initial testing. I'll take 40 MT cases and use them exclusively for my test loads...
Keep a record of your placement in the ammo cases and good paper records are a must.
AT the range, I fire 3 shot groups making sure to allow cooling between shots and groups. when I hit that "sweet spot" that gives me the best group, I'll go back and grab the 2 remaining rounds for that peticular load below the best one and above the best one...just to be sure.
Once I have my BEST load out of those first batch....I then start from there and go 1/10th of a grain UP for 4 new loads annnnd DOWN 1/10th of a grian for 4 more loads(5 rounds each) same firing pattern as before.
When I'm happy with this load, THEN I'll use my OAL tools and refine that load even more by changing my seating depth by going in steps of 5 thou each time. Everytime you decide to change up your bullets...this COAL process should be done again as the OGIVE will change. Sounds like a lot...but I'm smelllllling powder the whole time...an it don't get any better than that for me:sHa_shakeshout: Here's a couple of results from my workup for my TIKKA 223 last year....the end of testing and bullet seating....5 shot groups..takin out "Tylenols" @ 100 yds:)
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/KEVS300WSM/TARGETS/IMG_0344.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/KEVS300WSM/TARGETS/IMG_0352.jpg

as far as going back up to increase your velocity...slim chance of getting the barrel harmonics to be exactly the same in two spots...although it COULD and prolly HAS happened !

redmega
02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
WOW. Looks like i got a whole lot more playing to do. Very nice shooting short mag.

densa44
02-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Very nice shortmag! Very nice indeed. An excellent description of how to do it and what is possible.

As far as killing deer, when you can shot like shortmag here, one in the head or neck will do fine. Don't worry about 300 fps. Hit where you aim!

Robmcleod82
02-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I have been amazed at the results with the sst's I dont think you will have a problem with the speed your pushing them. I Agree with what shortmag was saying. Another thing to watch for if you have a chrono is velocity spread, If this gets too wide then it can cause havoc at longer ranges.

gitrdun
02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Hey Rob, I too am trying the SST's. But I'll thread carefully on that as their construction appears to be much like that of the ballistic tips, which I hate. Hopefully Hornady makes them with a thicker jacket so that they don't grenade themselves on impact at higher velocities at ranges inside the 200 yard mark.

Robmcleod82
02-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I have only seen what they do with a 7mm rem mag but the velocities would be similer, and they make very dead deer. They have an interlock that seems to keep the base of the bullet together. We found one 7mm bullet that entered front right shoulder at 200 yards lodged in the left hip, It seemed to retain around half its weight, but we never put it on a scale to measure it.

gitrdun
02-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Rob, according to my research, Nosler has thickened up the jackets on all 7mm (.284) bullets due to demands from silhouette shooters who needed enough energy to knock down the 500 yds rams. The .277 bullets were ignored in that endeavour, thus we are left with thinly jacket ballistic tips. I haven't personally sectioned these bullets to prove my point, but dick284 has. I've seen the results personally, as I've had devastating failures from my .270WSM on a WT doe and yet have knocked down rams at 500 yds with my 7mm-08. As a result, ballistic tips are no longer even close to being on my radar.

Afte reading a bit more of your post concerning Interlocks, I had to add this. Never, ever and I mean ever has an Interlock ever failed me. In fact, I've used Interbonds, Accubonds, Interlocks, TSX's, Partitions, Berger's, and Ballistic Tips, etc. But Interlocks have always separated, core and cup. But the animal dropped dead with all Interlock shots. So, as you may read into this, I don't give much consideration on weight retention. Best bullet I've ever used, bar none on large game at long distance, and I speak from experience has been Speer Grand Slams. So to summarize, most bullets have worked very well for me, except for ballistic tips.

Robmcleod82
02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey not trying to be a smart ***** but the sst bullets are a hornady not a nosler I'm sure your aware of that. I am not a fan of weight retention either I like all the energy to be left inside the animal not leaving on the far side. Berger vlds seem to do this quite well

duceman
02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
[/IMG]
[IMG]
my groups are going to start measuring way better, where can i get one of those lyman calipers? :bad_boys_20:just kidding, nice shootin, lee.
(just looking at the zero)

duffy4
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Accuracy and tight groups are nice. I have a Rem. 788 in .243 and with factory ammo I have shot 5/8 " groups.

But even though my daughter, Son and I have killed a number of deer and antelope with this rifle I do not like the way it kills. Or more to the point, it most often does not pass through and leave a good or any blood trail.

My son wanted to shoot something a little heavier that would provide a blood trail so I got him a .308. I have been keeping an eye out for something else for my daughter (.260, 7mm-08, .257 Roberts, 6.5X55 Swede).

But she likes shooting the .243 (so do I really) and so I would like to hand load a bullet that shoots ok but performs better in and through the animal.

I see ads for Barnes VOR-TX ammunition. they load an 80 gr. .243 with one of the copper TSX stile bullets. Might this be a solution for me?

Dean2
02-19-2011, 09:22 AM
If you want pass through in a 243, the Barnes would be a good choice. Curious though about how often you have actually needed a blood trail. Nothing I ever shot with a 243 ever went more than a few feet from where they were hit, and never out of sight.

Duramaximos
02-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Accuracy and tight groups are nice. I have a Rem. 788 in .243 and with factory ammo I have shot 5/8 " groups.

But even though my daughter, Son and I have killed a number of deer and antelope with this rifle I do not like the way it kills. Or more to the point, it most often does not pass through and leave a good or any blood trail.

My son wanted to shoot something a little heavier that would provide a blood trail so I got him a .308. I have been keeping an eye out for something else for my daughter (.260, 7mm-08, .257 Roberts, 6.5X55 Swede).

But she likes shooting the .243 (so do I really) and so I would like to hand load a bullet that shoots ok but performs better in and through the animal.

I see ads for Barnes VOR-TX ammunition. they load an 80 gr. .243 with one of the copper TSX stile bullets. Might this be a solution for me?

TSX will do exactly what you want. I worked on this combo this fall and had very good success on deer - all complete pass throughs.

RUM
02-19-2011, 04:40 PM
...For yotes...43.3 gr of IMR 4064....55 gr Noslet B/T...WLR primer..3 shots - one ragged hole at 100 yds....1 inch @ 200 yds

Exact same load I found as the sweet spot using the Winchester CT bullet