PDA

View Full Version : Spring walleye

fishnut9
02-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I finally have a boat to fish in no more paddling a dinghy around on big lakes. Ok so can you guys give me tips on fishing walleye out in sturgeon lake by valleyview in the spring. I'm not too good at walleye fishing. Like what set up and baits should I use. Don't worry I'm c and r so I won't be taking any of the lunkers home. Or even pm me if you don't want the world to know

nicemustang
02-15-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't know the lake but I can give you some tips. Spring walleye from the opening until the temp increases will mostly be close to the spawning sites. Especially the agressive males. Females may be tired and not too interested in much during the day and will typically spend a lot of time laying on the bottom recovering in deeper water but still close to the spawning site. They do come out and can be enticed to come out during the prime times in the early am and late evening. I'd like to say there is one technique but it will be trial and error. Sometime it will be finesse...sometime it has to be agressive. I haven't figured that out myself yet but if fishing in pair, one do one, one do the other and see what is working.

So get the lake map. Find the structure. Find spawning potential sites. Fish on the nearest structure. Depth may vary depending on conditions and it could be anywhere between 6 FOW and 25 FOW. Again, trial and error on your lake.

I'm a 95% jig and lindy fisherman so we start doing that. Usually minnows early are best (rather than leeches which are better once temps come up). Use as smallest jig you can handle per depth and current. Use a flourocarbon leader. Use small small hooks on lindy rig.

Have fun!

Bound2Fish
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I have fished sturgeon quite a bit, I have always found myself with good luck with the walleyes there. The spot I like to go to is at the entrance to the provincial park. The bay has the boat launch right in it and has produced quite well for me in the past especially around dinner time. a couple other great spots are right near there also. If you look at a map there is a small point at the south end of that bay, head straight east about 3-400m and there is a nice deep hole there which produces good walleye. if you arent having any luck there try going about 6-700m NE from the boat launch, there is also another good drop off where the walleyes like to hang out (pike seem to be in all these spots also). You will probably need a depth finder to find these holes but when you do, you will be glad, then just anchor and fish away. Hope this helps.