PDA

View Full Version : Underwater camera

coorslight
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
about how far out does an underwater camera go i fish in a tent with two holes about 2 feet or 1.5 feet apart would i be able to put the camera far enough back to see both and actually see the hooks good

nicemustang
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Depends on number of factors. Depth, time of day, water clarity, sunshine, thicken of ice, amount of snow, etc. Type of camera also matters. The basic fishtv is basic...it might only be able to see a couple of feet. The new marcums can see much further. Example: my new marcum can see about 10-12 FOW on average water. So picture this. The new 4-6 man double pop up tents, I could put the camera at one end and see the hooks of guys fishing all the way at the other end which is at least 10 feet away. This was at travers and it was pretty clear, 18 FOW. Also at a super clear lake, I could see my tip up that I had 20+ feet away (Ghost reservoir) at about 40 feet of water. Or on this weekend at burnstick which is pretty clear, 25' FOW could see about 10 feet easily as I had my camera outside my tent but could see both lures inside my 4 man icecube, and could see a little further. In murky water (like a pike slough) Chestermere, in 8 FOW water I could barely see all the way across my ice cube (8 feet) unless it was nice and light out (couldn't see it early or late in the day).

With my fishtv I had before, vision was drastically reduced. Worked ok in clear lakes and shallow-ish water but did not work in low light or murky conditions.

Hope that helps.

Rob S
02-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I use a Marcum VS380 and an Eskimo quickfish 3. I set my holes as far apart as I can in the tent, about 4 feet apart. I place my camera in a hole just outside of my tent, and run the wires under the tent, or thru the window. I am able to see both of my minnows with about 15 feet to spare behind the minnows. But again, this would all depend on water clarity :-)
Hope this helps!

Rob

coorslight
02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
i got an aqua view not sure what its black and white i got it off a buddy for 50 bucks. the lakes i fish are actually pretty clear and see the bottom in 12 feet of water no prob in the tent through the whole. im just not sure if the balck and white makes it see less far the contrast and waht not

nicemustang
02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
No. Technicaly B&W cameras see farther, less light to display (easier to see). So yes you should be able to see both lures.

coorslight
02-15-2011, 03:39 PM
hey you know how the light on there you can turn on and off is that considered using a light to attract fish . cause sunday at moose lake we would turn it on and a jack would show up almost every time. one time we turned it on and a jack came in a stirred up so much mud we could nt see for 5 mins and the camera was spinning like crzy

nicemustang
02-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Debatable. If it's a light, techinically illegal. If its infrared, technically legal. I never use my light because I find it scares most fish away.

coorslight
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
ya i thought it was weird them came but when they came they seemed ****ed off you know