PDA

View Full Version : Win XTR Featherlite

gonewest
02-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I am thinking of buying a .270 Win XTR featherlite as a backup gun and the price is right. I really have never shot one or know anything about them. Can you guys give me the good or bad as far a accuracy, recoil, dependability. Most of all though I just started reloading and I want to shoot up to 400yds accurately. Has this gun been known to shot good? Thanks for any info.

Homesteader
02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
There great rifles, my 06 has smoked alot of critters. Repeatable accuracy, light weight, great feel in the hands(very quick), plus they are one of the best looking production rifles around. What's not to like?

walking buffalo
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
My first rifle was a featherweight in Bob. Great gun that has taken a couple of hundred animals. I still used every year.

The only issue I have ever had was with the three stage safety when the gun was purchased new in '82. The safety switch would stick. I had the two ball bearings removed, and the safety moves smoothly, clicking into each position firmly.

Get the gun, you will enjoy it. :)

Scott N
02-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I have a model 70 XTR Sporter in .338, and the only down-side really of the XTR model is that it is a push feed model, which is generally viewed as not as good as the controlled round feed model 70s. Still a nice rifle though.

gonewest
02-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Does anyone know if they all had oiled stocks or was there an option of oiled or laquered shiny finish?

Homesteader
02-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know if they all had oiled stocks or was there an option of oiled or laquered shiny finish?

I've never seen an oiled one. All the ones I've seen were laquered in a matte finish.

gonewest
02-16-2011, 10:10 PM
I thought that I had saw some that had oiled stocks. It must have been another model Winchester. Thanks guys for the info I think I will go for it.