PDA

View Full Version : Too close for comfort!

buster92
02-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Sooo..!! I took my son ice fishing today, he's visiting from Nova scotia, so we set up the ice shack at Dickson Dam, Get all organized and fished all morning, then an old guy shows up and sets up about 125 feet away and chats up a bit. Then around 1:30, this other oold guy shows up, and I hope he's not on this forum, sets up 20 feet away, What the hell? I guess drilling a hole inside my shack would have been a little too close!! How about some respect and etiquette? :argue2:

Braun
02-15-2011, 06:06 PM
understandable. not that you own the lake but it would be nice if people asked if you mind if they set up that close. I couldnt imagine anyone actually saying no. Some people can be picky about how close others fish to them. If you just ask it usually quells any tempers and usually ends in chatter

buster92
02-15-2011, 06:10 PM
I know, espescially when there are only 3 of us on the whole pound!

kostianych
02-15-2011, 07:02 PM
I remember, there was a regulation about it - 15m between fishermen.....now it`s not in the Regs :(

outdoors forever
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I know, espescially when there are only 3 of us on the whole pound!

Pound = pond?

I was gonna say, you need to lighten up, around here guys set up that close all the time, but when you say there were only three people out there, then yeah, I can understand your comment.

Kinda like when you go to a public washroom and out of a line of 10 urinals the next guy to come in lines right up beside you! ( frickin HATE that! ) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dust1n
02-15-2011, 07:39 PM
in sylvan lake look outside marina bay everyones within arms reach away lolbut ya mabe you were fishn in his honey hole?

Big Red 250
02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Likely they saw all the equipment you had laying on the ice and figured that being close to you would be handy in case they had to borrow something. Or if they got cold, you would invite them into your tent to warm up.

gprime27
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I get a little rude with people like that.. quite literally chase them away.. but yea that's me :)

sheepguide
02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Some guys are just alot more sociable than others. They come to the lake and like to chat things up. Sure they could maybe ask if you mind but it really hurts nothing.

Its a few acre trout pond, not like is got tons of secret hot spots that a guy needs to protect.
SG

AxeMan
02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I think some of those old farts are just lonely.

glen1971
02-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Reminds me of when my dad and I were fishing in a lake north of Peace River off the shore when a guy in a canoe came about 10 feet from our bobber and decided to park his canoe there and drop a line in.. If memory serves there were not many (if any) other people out that day and the lake was a good sized...
He made the mistake of asking how the fishing was... My dad and him talked back and forth, with not very much in the form of "positive" from my dad.. The guy in the canoe's answer was "It's a free lake, I can fish where ever I like.."
Dad's reply was "You are right.. It is...But don't you think it will be tough fishing with two extra holes in your canoe?"
He asked "What do you mean by that??"
"Wait and see.." was dad's reply as he headed for the truck... I don't think I have ever seen anyone reel up his line, and paddle so hard and so fast in my life...

rielbowhunter
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM
ya I don't get it, they should ask, or fish at least fish your farthest cast away from you. sure wish they would put in in some derby rules.

chubbdarter
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
some people are very gracious and approach with the utmost repsect..chat and leave or get invited to stay
Some peeps ask kindly for help
these people are welcome to become new fishing friends

azzhats that are rude....with uncontrolled dogs....throw empties everywhere...and scream when they talk

just get left in that spot...not worth talking to...not worth the time and energy

the ones that really scare me are he ones that walk right up to me and say....hey are you chubbdarter?......lol duster

baitfisher83
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
some people are very gracious and approach with the utmost repsect..chat and leave or get invited to stay
Some peeps ask kindly for help
these people are welcome to become new fishing friends

azzhats that are rude....with uncontrolled dogs....throw empties everywhere...and scream when they talk

just get left in that spot...not worth talking to...not worth the time and energy

the ones that really scare me are he ones that walk right up to me and say....hey are you chubbdarter?......lol duster

I was gonna do that at Travers when I was out there with Linehaul, but we were on the way out..lmao

chubbdarter
02-15-2011, 10:06 PM
you saw me on travers?

Duster
02-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah I shoulda started blowing doughnuts on the quad first eh chub. Haha

chubbdarter
02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
hahhaaahh asked the kid...is that quad coming at us
son says yup...right at us
tell the kid .....just great

quad stops a respectfull distance away.....guy gets off and walks

tell the kid...this guy is ok.

guy asks hows fishing..before i answer....hey are you chubbdarter

kid laughs.

turns out to be member named Duster
awesome eye fisherman and we had some great chits and giggles.
all close encounters are not bad.....Duster is good people

Freedom55
02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
ya I don't get it, they should ask, or fish at least fish your farthest cast away from you. sure wish they would put in in some derby rules.

The next time you are at a (ice) derby, at least one that pays more than a few $ to win, check and see if the guy next to you is closer than 25 FEET. (and I bet that you can cast a good bit further than that!)
Sport fishing is one thing, fishing for cash is another.
The rule in derby fishing is 'after me, you're first'. Sad to say it, but that is life in the 21st century on every avenue, street and alley. Fishing from a boat included.
Having said that, I wish that the solitude of fishing could have continued forever. But that is not gonna happen. We must all be content to share the wealth, and I'm okay with that.
Except at tournaments. Then it's "See ya!"

Free.

Ken07AOVette
02-15-2011, 11:01 PM
I was going to mention a fishing derby as well, some of you guys better make sure you never go to one, your heads will explode :argue2:

Freedom55
02-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Although I have lipped you off in the past, Ken, I want to commend you on the funds you have raised on behalf of the kids. I love the kids too.
Free. ( to love)

Jimboy
02-16-2011, 01:55 AM
You should have went over and drilled a hole 4 ft from his and sat down and fart without speaking.:sHa_shakeshout:

glen1971
02-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Fishin derbies are a different can of worms..

I'm sure there are ways to "discourage" people from closing in on your fishin area though...

beermilk
02-16-2011, 09:14 AM
you are a bunch of whiney bastards who gives a flyin .........

i know myself i dont fish close to anyone else just my own group but why would you even give a sh..t if someone comes within 25 feet of you who cares you think all fish within 25 feet are yours and yours only?!?!?

best way to make them leave is be a better fishermen then them catch fish they ussaly get ****ed and leave anyways.

i would like to see all of you guys fish the salmon rivers on the east or west coast where not only is there people 5 feet away but there is a line up of people behind where you HAVE to take turns with all day long.

act like you do up here and you would end up floating down the river. dont be so greedy theres lots of fish for everone.

The Fisherman Guy
02-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Beermilk: You are the Mac! Man they must build you guys out of rock and steel you are so core to the mac-x.

Braun
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Beermilk: You are the Mac! Man they must build you guys out of rock and steel you are so core to the mac-x.

:sHa_sarcasticlol::party0052:

Wow today is a good day...... to not have to read this board. Lots of king ****s on here sharing their slice..... just too narrow minded to understand what people talking about. Personally, i dont care if someone is fishing 25 feet away from me. but people should still have come manners, which people like beermilk clearly do not have. Derbys and the salmon run are one thing. you know what you are getting into if you are going to one of those. we are talking being out enjoying a hobby on a lake where there is lots of room for people to fish other than right beside you. If i wanted to be surrounded by a bunch of noise and *******s i would be a rig pig. There is a difference between someone coming upto me and asking how things are going and minding if they fish 25 feet away or even just coming up and doing it anyways but still being quite. The issue comes when homeboy pulls right upto you in his 4x4, rolls the windows down, blairin music (heavy metal or even phil collins;) ), walks upto you and expects you to tell them exactly everything you have been using to get the fish. Chubbs has the right idea in that those people just get left in that spot.

There is just certain expectations of manners that should be considered standard in society.

whitetalehunter12
02-16-2011, 11:09 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FishFearMe
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
My only question, after reading all these posts, is Did either of you catch anything?

dragon
02-16-2011, 11:44 AM
25 ft away big deal...

My only beef is when people go wakeboarding 20 ft from my boat in the wakesetters which put out a wake that can sink most boats. This is illegal as boating regs state you are responsible for your craft and the wake you generate.

for the guys in the boats that simply pass real close at high speeds and just wave... I know you don't fish and are obvlious as to why you get the bird.

beermilk
02-16-2011, 12:16 PM

just sick of coming on here and reading about all of you

" I OWN THIS PART OF THE LAKE / RIVER PEOPLE."

you do not own it if you want your only spot buy some land put a pond on it. untill then stop complaining.

probbaly the same people who whine about land owners not giving them permission to hunt on there land. guess what the OWN the land so they can say whos allowed on and not. dont like it go buy some land yourself

RedHeadedFisherman
02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I am a friendly, personably guy and as I got older, less lilky to say anything, but. when i am fishing a river/lake i like to have a bit of space. not 25 feet, but do not fish on top of me either, i remember when i was in my 20's down at the old WID weir ( south side) along the concrete wall.. there would sometimes be up to 10 guys along a 20 foot stretch. ok, it worked because all there that day were very polite and if guy at the top of the line caught a fish and had to take it over to the shore, the rest down on the line would real in or lift there rods so #1 could duck under still playing his fish.

this worked good... until this one dude came! stuck him self right at #1's spot ( when #1 was riverside landing a fish)
wouldn’t relinquish said spot when #1 came back.
#1 being a older guy simply packed up and left to go further down river..

ok. nothing to me as i was like #8-9..

a little while later A**wipe caught a good sized rainbow and instead of saying "excuse me, may i pass" which al had done before for the last few hours and was working good.
this jerk simple comes on down the top steps, knocking over rods.. came to mine, i got up with my knife and when he knocked my rod over. i reached out and TWANG! CUT HIS ^%^$ line!! there goes a what i could see was a NICE rainbow

well this young puck was some ****ed at me!
i calmly said ' your mad at me.? look around you!"

at the 8 other guys that were picking up rods or resetting because this moron caused them to get snagged/broken off.

the moron looked around, went over to his sh*t and packed up and left.
everyone clapped lol!!!!!

moral: don’t be a moron,, even in a tight place there are common curtsy rules. they were working for this group on this day until Mr. Moron came LOL

RHF

beermilk
02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
moral: don’t be a moron,, even in a tight place there are common curtsy rules. they were working for this group on this day until Mr. Moron came LOL

i dont disagree with you at all some people can be absolute Jerks about it but if some person just drops a couple holes 20-25 feet away and fishes all day who cares really ?

i mean if he comes over a pops his head in your tent or starts fishing you hole while your retying lol by all means give him the gears but to be mad because hes in your 100 foot radius that you apperntly own is not a good enough reason.

buster92
02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I never said that it was my spot, just that people should be respectful of others! When there is a whole lake, you just don't set up that close without saying hi. The other 4 guys that showed up after him all chatted a bit about the place and fishing... etc...

Paul C
02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
X2 hope he had the smarts to bring some fire water.