PDA

View Full Version : Big pike in Hasse!

1bluZebec
02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
I was on Hasse tonight from 4:30 till 6:00 for the first time. I've heard on here that someone had illegally introduced perch and heard that there were now even pike. I just thought I would go and get some perch. I did that indeed but to my amazement I had something huge just nail my tiny 1" jig baited with shrimp. The largest pike I've seen over last 2 years of all the smaller lakes I've been to around Edmonton. He must have dropped it cause after he hit it he spit it out or something. Anyway after that he would come check out our hooks every half hour a few times. I would say at least 10 lbs.! I know that it's really not to big but for that lake it is. The poor trout If there is any left. Tons of fun still though very fun first time there on the hardwater.:test:

jacob1202
02-15-2011, 11:42 PM
it was a muskrat!!! lol

DaveFish
02-16-2011, 02:52 AM
The SRD test netting of Hasse last year was documented in AO mag, they caught some big ones. Also, earlier this hard water season saw a pretty big pike on my aquavu.

1bluZebec
02-16-2011, 06:37 AM
I've been to coal,mink,jackfish,wizard,Steele(cross)lake and have never caught anything larger than lbs but this was so big I was worried to bring it into the tent if I was even able to land it on my perch and trout set up. I'm using the smallest normark plastic rod and 4 and 6lb line with of course no swive,no leader of any kind on a tiny marmooska jig. Very surprised when I felt it hit after seeing all the perch thinking that's all that would be biting my hook. That thing is going to be huge soon unless someone catches and keeps it.

Geezle
02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
I've been to coal,mink,jackfish,wizard,Steele(cross)lake and have never caught anything larger than lbs but this was so big I was worried to bring it into the tent if I was even able to land it on my perch and trout set up. I'm using the smallest normark plastic rod and 4 and 6lb line with of course no swive,no leader of any kind on a tiny marmooska jig. Very surprised when I felt it hit after seeing all the perch thinking that's all that would be biting my hook. That thing is going to be huge soon unless someone catches and keeps it.

You'd be surprised what you can get away with if you're careful enough bringing it in. A week or two back I was jigging for perch on Wab and had a 7-8lb pike come flying in out of nowhere and scarf down my tiny little teardrop jig. I got lucky and got a perfect hookset right in the corner of the mouth so he wasn't chomping on my line, and after a few minutes I managed to land 'er :)

I'm guessing they're likely attracted in by the flash of the perch struggling as you bring them up through the water column.

Big Red 250
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
One time I was fishing for perch with a tiny jig & meal worm on 6 lb mono and a big pike bit. I could get it up to the bottom of the hole but it was wrapped up in my line and I never could get it headed up the hole. After getting it there 4 or 5 times, my line broke. It never bit me off, I figure the line broke from rubbing on the ice.

1bluZebec
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I hope the little bows survive. I wanted to fish there this summer without worrying about losing tackle.

DaveFish
02-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I hope the little bows survive. I wanted to fish there this summer without worrying about losing tackle.

SRD has stopped stocking it altogether, such a shame, grew up fishing that lake for bows.

AbProwler
02-19-2011, 04:24 PM
We were out there about 3 weeks ago, hundreds of LITTLE Perch on the camera, never saw any Pike, but did manage to see some Rainbows. The Perch were all stunted and there was so many of them around our hooks, that the Trout kept hanging back.

1bluZebec
02-19-2011, 11:29 PM
How small do you mean and long long were you looking around with the camera? The pike hit hard very hard and was the first of the day. Not even 5 min after getting hook wet. Where were you also? We wereon the south side of the island about 30 feet out. Drove on and all over too. First time driving on any lake ever. Very nerve racking with a new truck. Probably just me but scary kinda. Ah just a little. Loll

AbProwler
02-19-2011, 11:43 PM
The biggest Perch was about 6", we were about 200' N.E. of the island. water was about 8-12' deep. We fished for 6hrs., never saw a Pike, but we could see Trout hanging in the background, past the Perch.