PDA

View Full Version : .270Win/WSM bullet question

ShawnM
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
I have a question for all you ballistics experts out there. I've read tons of material on .270 caliber bullets and their uses. From what I've gathered a typical .270 in Winchester or WSM for deer would be a 150gr. I understand that this is due to a slower speed on the projectile and less chance of tumbling. I've also seen it recommended that you use a 140gr or 130gr on moose or elk, which seems counter-intuative.

My question is when you're loading for the respective weights do you give the 140/130 loads a "hotter" charge or would that be the 150? I'm just looking at reloading and perhaps starting up with it. .270Win/WSM and .223 (possibly 22-250) are what I'm most interested in loading. Although my dad has a .303British that he's dead set on hunting with and since there's very little commercial choice for bullets in the available ammunition I would probably have to load some for him too.

sheephunter
02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Tumbling? Who told you that? I shoot a 140 grain out of mine for everything. Find a good quality bullet that your rifle shoots well and go hunting. No need for switching grains of bullets between animals.

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
The performance of 140gr Accubonds in factory Winchetser Supreme ammo and my reloads for my 270WSM at the range and on big game (elk, moose, bears, deer) at various distances is impressive. I am very impressed with this caliber and bullet combo. Of course bullet placement is key. Majority of the shots have been double lung complete pass-thru penetration with major internal damage. Last animal for me with the 270WSM was a large cow elk in 2008 late Decemeber, -33 degrees Celcius @ 200m - she reared up from the shot and flipped over backwards and was DOWN !!

A 150gr bullet is a good choice to, factory ammo would be the XP3 for my vote.

Reloads with 140gr Accubonds or TSX or 130gr TTSX's. Swift Scirocco II would be another. My reloads are moving at a pretty good speed and shoot well under 0.4" groups @ 100m.

:)

benamen
02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
In the last 25 years, I have shot 110, 130, 140 & 150 grain bullets from my 270 Win. For all BUT the 110 gr, I have used H4831 behind the bullets (them large kegs seem to last forever). Accuracy has been sub MOA with all the fodder and yes, I do change the amount of powder used when changing bullets weights. The heavier the bullet, the less powder I use. Currently using the 150 gr SSTs with great success on deer.

ShawnM
02-16-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm looking at using lead-free bullets only. I know there's loads of pro-con-pointless arguments out there for it but it's something I'll feel better doing.

I've always balked at the prices for factory loads and wouldn't mind having my own "special secret recipe" I go hunting with. I'm a guy that likes lots of choices to select from.

Of course when I'm shooting .223 reloading will be a huge money saver...

whitetailhntr
02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I load 130 ttsx and 130 gr gmx.Both solid mono metal bullets and both work very well. Both bullets are also accurate and were pretty easy to load, not much development required.I would use ether for any game that walks in alberta without hesitation.

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-16-2011, 12:25 PM
130gr Etips from Nosler, 140gr TSX or 130gr TTSX from Barnes for your UNLEADED bullets.

ShawnM
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
130gr Etips from Nosler, 140gr TSX or 130gr TTSX from Barnes for your UNLEADED bullets.

So here's what people are saying:

130 good big game round
140 all purpose roung
150 good deer round
powder charge gets lower as the bullet gets heavier

Good summary?

sheephunter
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM

130 good big game round
140 all purpose roung
150 good deer round

Good summary?

Not sure why 150 grain would be considered a good deer round over the others. If bullet construction is good, and as you are talking mono metal bullets it is, any of those bullet weights is a great all-round choice. In mono metal I'd likely go for the 130 grain.......good BC and good velocity. In a bonded bullet, I'd go 140 for same reasons. Find one that's accurate and forget what people are saying, because those people that are saying it don't seem to understand much about bullets.

benamen
02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
The only experience I have had with unleaded bullets has been with my 300WSM. Used a 168gr TTSX last fall to take a good sized moose. A little lighter than the 180gr partition my son used to take his moose. Same results though. Single shot pass throughs harvested both animals.
With that said, if I were use an unleaded bullet in my 270 Win, I would probably start off with the 130 gr TTSX. And only because the TTSX is the only bullet that I have had experience with.

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-16-2011, 05:01 PM

130 good big game round
140 all purpose roung
150 good deer round

Good summary?

Not Really !!

Suggest you buy a reloading manual (Barnes or Nosler or both). I dont understand how you can say a 150gr is a good deer bullet and 130-140gr for big game.

Buy some factory ammo in the Etips and TSX/TTSX's -see how they shoot. Try the same in reloads with different powders. Find what shoots the best and go from there.

:)

sikwhiskey
02-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Tumbling? Who told you that? I shoot a 140 grain out of mine for everything. Find a good quality bullet that your rifle shoots well and go hunting. No need for switching grains of bullets between animals.

The Barnes manual does suggest a 1:9.5" twist or faster for the 150 tsx. Maybe thats where he got the idea? Though the 150 tsx shoots just fine out of my 270wm in 1:10 twist, out to 400 meters, haven't had the chance to try further.
Typically the larger the Animal the bigger the Bullet. Barnes have since punched a few holes through that theory. Get the 130's or 140's if you can find them and start shoot'n, you won't regret it.

ShawnM
02-17-2011, 07:58 AM
I guess I've been reading too much :O

Essentially the claim was that the 130gr does more damage to an animal because of the speed of the projectile, greater expansion etc and the 150 does less damage because it's slower etc.

I honestly wouldn't be able to say one way or the other because in my experience it's always been the larger the animal the heavier the bullet. Reloading has always been a bit of a mystery to me because I bought off the shelf. But I'm getting more interested in the "why and why nots" of ballistics. Not to mention doing some quick pseudo-math on what I've spent on various .22 caliber ammunition over the years gives me heartburn...

I'm open to learning from people who know.

Rayzor
02-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Make sure you educate yourself with actual facts and don't rely just on people's opinions. Get yourself a reloading manual (I have 3 different ones) and make sure you read the "how to" sections at the beginning of the manuals. This will give you a good understanding of the reloading process. Choose a bullet weight that matches your target species, and start working up loads until you find something that shoots well out of your gun. For N. American game, you could likely stick with one bullet weight and have good success. I use 140's with the 270, 180's in the 300 mag, 115 or 117's in the 25-06, 165's in the 308, 55's in the 22-250. As you can see I have chosen a bullet weight that falls somewhere in between the heaviest and the lightest in each caliber. The only rifle I use different bullet weight in is my 243, I load 75's and 80 FMJ's for coyotes and 90-100 grains for deer season (kid's rifle). Of course the latter information is my opinion as well, but I'm just trying to let you know that with most big game cartridges, you can likely pick one bullet weight and enjoy success. This will also save you from fiddling constantly with loads. Good luck and have fun. Rayzor

Rem - P14
02-19-2011, 03:44 AM
I'm looking at using lead-free bullets only. I know there's loads of pro-con-pointless arguments out there for it but it's something I'll feel better doing.

I've always balked at the prices for factory loads and wouldn't mind having my own "special secret recipe" I go hunting with. I'm a guy that likes lots of choices to select from.

Of course when I'm shooting .223 reloading will be a huge money saver...

I believe you are to be admired and should at least be commended for seeking the opinions of others before simply wading in with your reloading endeavours. I am not experienced enough to offering advice to anyone but I think I can make a very good case for starting with the loading manuals and seeking the advice of the professionals listed therein. Should you ever begin modifying your loads to your own tastes or instincts you will need a tremendous amount of experience behind you first. Once you have acquired your own basic knowledge of any subject, you are then in a better position to judge the advice coming to you from those who are not necessarily qualified to be offering it.
I have talked to people who simply refuse to load for others or to offer creative suggestions for loads. They are walking a careful line and who can blame them? Our rifles are not toys after all. They can be very recreational but they are not toys.

Huntsman
02-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Why Not?
I load a Hornady Plain Jane Interlock bullet in 130gr with IMR 4831.
The game ends up in my freezer........
Is this a premium bullet thread? What did all the animals fall to 50+ yrs ago?
I'm a sole believer in 130gr bullets and I shoot the .270 Win. not the WSM
my .02 cents

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
02-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Why Not?
I load a Hornady Plain Jane Interlock bullet in 130gr with IMR 4831.
The game ends up in my freezer........
Is this a premium bullet thread? What did all the animals fall to 50+ yrs ago?
I'm a sole believer in 130gr bullets and I shoot the .270 Win. not the WSM
my .02 cents

Huntsman: would you trust the 130 PJ interlock to bust through a moose shoulder and reach the vitals?

I myself prefer a complete passthrough, but I have seem some interesting things happen that surprise me.

I too am on the search for that one load that I like and can use for everything.

my problem now is I have another rifle to consider

sheephunter
02-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Huntsman: would you trust the 130 PJ interlock to bust through a moose shoulder and reach the vitals?

I myself prefer a complete passthrough, but I have seem some interesting things happen that surprise me.

I too am on the search for that one load that I like and can use for everything.

my problem now is I have another rifle to consider

If you prefer pass throughs then the TSX is the obvious choice.

sns2
02-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Holy wide-ranging opinions, Batman! Enough to give a guy dyslexia. You're shooting a great all-around cartridge. Load up a 140gr bonded bullet, I would recommend Nosler Accubond, but Hornady Interbonds also shoot well, and go hunting with ONLY ONE BULLET IN YOUR POCKET!!! With proper shot placement you will have a great round and be able to kill with confidence anything you encounter in this province, including Griz and Buffalo, except the confidence part may go a bit south:)

elkhunter11
02-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Essentially the claim was that the 130gr does more damage to an animal because of the speed of the projectile, greater expansion etc and the 150 does less damage because it's slower etc.

The damage done, is dependent on the bullet construction that you use. Pick a good 130gr to 140gr bullet, and use that same bullet for all of your big game hunting. That way, you only need one sight in, and you only have one trajectory to learn.

Traps
02-19-2011, 12:34 PM

I honestly wouldn't be able to say one way or the other because in my experience it's always been the larger the animal the heavier the bullet.

If you wanted to generalize it across the board your right.