PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lakes Saturday

Blairh
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Heading out to Spray Saturday morning, taking some kids from Australia so I would really like to get them into some fish... I've fished there before and had some luck, I usually head out just past Sparrowhawk in 80 fow. Has anyone been out there lately and had success? if so on what. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Blairh

baitfisher83
02-16-2011, 11:46 AM
I've been told smelts on jig heads or buzz bombs in about 120 FOW seems to work quite well, I've never been there so I can't tell you exactly where on the lake to go..

Hunter Trav
02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Heading out to Spray Saturday morning, taking some kids from Australia so I would really like to get them into some fish... I've fished there before and had some luck, I usually head out just past Sparrowhawk in 80 fow. Has anyone been out there lately and had success? if so on what. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Blairh

You'll be in the fish where your talking about. Was in that area a couple weeks ago, and there were lots of fish on the flasher. The trick will be getting them to bite. Jig heads and smelts seem to be a good bet, glow heads may work better. Drop it to the bottom, lift about a foot off and start jigging. Good luck.

Blairh
02-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Ya I have yellow jig heads which I have had success on, I made a new sort of rig I was gonna try, just wanna make sure its legal before I use it...Its a jig with a an extra stinger hook going through the tail. I hope the pic works..

nicemustang
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes that is legal. Your best best bet is a 2" buzz bomb jigged agressively throughout the water column with 1/2 small smelt on treble. Hang on on the fall of the lure, thats when they bite and suddenly it will be heavy. Set the hook and reel her in.

I'd walk a little further at sparrowhawk to the 120 foot mark or even past when it start coming up again. Seems to be better further out most times.

nicemustang
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh, and the buzz bomb color....white is best.

FishBrain
02-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Was there yesterday. I hit sparrowhawk, about 80 FOW, using glow tube jig with front half of smelt. I HAMMERED THEM, first half hour I had 2 little ones on the ice. Finished the day at 11:30 and had 7 fish total, took home 3 16". MMMMMMMMMM THey are the best tasting fish going.
Drop to bottom, slowly lift up to about 3' up. drop to bottom again, leave lure and get another line in the water, go back to ffirst lure, slow lift again, and cathc the fish. That is what I do.

Braun
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
how was the road from town upto the lake? can a guy get his car up there or is it best i commondeer the truck

Popeye12
02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
where abouts is sparrowhawk??? Ive been to spray a few times and caught nothing to brag about and definately not enough fish...

Blairh
02-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Sparrowhawk is past driftwood if driving from the Canmore side. Heres a map http://www.mtn-hiker.com/MapTour/Spray.html

FishBrain
02-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Yep the road is fine, just be careful when parking on the side, it looks like the plow was a little to far over. I was stuck in my truck and another fellow was also later in the day.

If you drive past the boat launch a few miles you will see the Sparrowhawk sign, then go another few hundred metres and you should see an opening in the trees, that is where you walk down

Braun
02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
anyone going to spray tomorrow?

FishBrain
02-17-2011, 05:02 PM
would love to!!!!! but if I dont go to work I am going to the hospital to be with my wife :(
Maybe Sat or Sun tho. Thinking of bringing a kid or two, but it takes me an hour to get off the lake by my self, let alone kids whose legs are as long as the snow is deep.
If you are going on sat, sun, or Mon, give me a PM.

bubbles
02-17-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm going Sunday morning with 2 buddies if you wanna join Fishbrain ?

FishBrain
02-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Will let you know bubbles, I have offers for fishing each day this weekend, and can only choose one. Need to talk to the wife about which day to go, or if I take the kids can I go every day? lol
She broke her bum so not a happy camper right now

Blairh
02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Stupid question, but does anyone know if Canadian Tire sells buzz bombs? or do I have to make the long drive to South Calgary to wholesale.

Goater
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Stupid question, but does anyone know if Canadian Tire sells buzz bombs? or do I have to make the long drive to South Calgary to wholesale.
I bought some a few weeks ago a CT.

Bound2Fish
02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
I am pretty sure I seen the canadian tire in airdrie carry them.

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Fishin Hole is in the N.E.

Blairh
02-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Also just want to confirm, Spray lakes is only in a provincial park so its ok to go fishing for the free fishing weekend without a license.

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Also just want to confirm, Spray lakes is only in a provincial park so its ok to go fishing for the free fishing weekend without a license.

any water listed in your Alberta Fishing Regulations
ALL other rules and Regulations still apply

FishBrain
02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm going Sunday morning with 2 buddies if you wanna join Fishbrain ?

Am Able to go tomorrow, but not on Sunday.

bigfis
02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
CT has buzz bombs Evan some walmarts have them

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I bought some a few weeks ago a CT.

CTire carries them but I've been looking for the 2" Glo buzzbombs for awhile now at BP, FishnHole and WSS. I finally found one at WSS this week and grabbed the last one. Most places have a good selection on Wht/Pnk and Wht/Blue 2" bombs though. Would say they are the next best especially Wht/Pnk.

Blairh
02-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Awesome, went to canadian tire and picked up a solid white 2" and a white and pink as I have had luck on pink before. I'm gonna try a variety of tackle tomorrow just for an experiment, since ill be with 3 other people. White tube jig, yellow jig, green jig, and pink/white buzzbomb, also have a buckshot rigged up as I haven't heard any talk of them so i figured I would try. I'll post tomorrow and let you all know the final score

Braun
02-19-2011, 12:08 AM
was there today. lots of action off of sparrow hawk. we had tones of bites, 7 fish on, 5 landed. buzz bombs worked as usual but the other thin that was a hot item was a 2 inch buckshot glow in the green. i use that damn lure for everything and it definately works at spray

bubbles
02-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Am Able to go tomorrow, but not on Sunday.

That's cool FishBrain maybe next time!
Still planning on going sunday morning near Sparrowhawk will be in a red chevy impala if you see it parked near the road walk on down and drop a "line" with us.

3 guys no hut wont be hard to miss big red jacket with reflectors and a brown one with reflectors.

Jimboy
02-19-2011, 09:50 AM
That's cool FishBrain maybe next time!
Still planning on going sunday morning near Sparrowhawk will be in a red chevy impala if you see it parked near the road walk on down and drop a "line" with us.

3 guys no hut wont be hard to miss big red jacket with reflectors and a brown one with reflectors.

How far is the walk down and how far and how deep is the snow , can a old guy make it .

critter
02-19-2011, 10:05 AM
If you want tons of action from all sizes including big lakers at spray, or anywhere, use these.. http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/Berkley_Power_Bait_Atomic_Tubes_Rigged.htm

Photoplex
02-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Ya I have yellow jig heads which I have had success on, I made a new sort of rig I was gonna try, just wanna make sure its legal before I use it...Its a jig with a an extra stinger hook going through the tail. I hope the pic works..

Yeah, that's legal - good idea, but not sure what effect it's going to have on the action of that twister tail.

5Weight
02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Some of you may be sick of this video already, but whenever I see someone asking for help at Spray I think of linking them to my trip back in December...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m210DDjjVI

5W

Gust
02-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Some of you may be sick of this video already, but whenever I see someone asking for help at Spray I think of linking them to my trip back in December...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m210DDjjVI

5W

Off topic but Seriously 5W, I'd rather watch this 100 times than some fellow on a bass boat flopping frogs for smallmouth in golf course ponds in North Carolina. I'll even go as far to say that; the quality of the vid would easily make a pretty good promo/treatment to start your own fishing show. I'll even go as further and say; should you seek sponsors I'd be more than glad to help you find them. Wouldn't it be nice to see just an Alberta show with all fishing on ice or from shore, no boats, an everyman show.

Blairh
02-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Just got back from spray, thanks for all the tips and help! Everyone that came had a great time. Ended up bringing in a 20-21" laker, without a rod just on a spool of line.. one of the greatest ice fishing fights of my life! 10 min later it was in the tent, Ill put a couple pics up right away here. And thanks to Fishbrain for helping me find the great spot.

bubbles
02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
How far is the walk down and how far and how deep is the snow , can a old guy make it .

Hey Jimboy it' s about 200yrds to the ice im guessing from the road going down hill. last time i was out the snow was maybe up close to your knees in some place's but other then that it was packed down.

im sure an old guy can make it im out of shape fat and manage to make er down there haha..

send me a pm if you wanna join us the more the better!

leaving around 5:30am from Calgary North East.

Bubbles.

bubbles
02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Just got back from spray, thanks for all the tips and help! Everyone that came had a great time. Ended up bringing in a 20-21" laker, without a rod just on a spool of line.. one of the greatest ice fishing fights of my life! 10 min later it was in the tent, Ill put a couple pics up right away here. And thanks to Fishbrain for helping me find the great spot.

Good on ya Blairh!!

how many did you manage to hook on ?
is the snow deep there still ?

Photoplex
02-19-2011, 05:13 PM
CTire carries them but I've been looking for the 2" Glo buzzbombs for awhile now at BP, FishnHole and WSS. I finally found one at WSS this week and grabbed the last one. Most places have a good selection on Wht/Pnk and Wht/Blue 2" bombs though. Would say they are the next best especially Wht/Pnk.

Just got back from the CT in the NE (near Deerfoot Mall) - they've got more than 10 glow-in-the-dark buzzbombs, in a variety of sizes.

Just a headsup in case you want some more!

Blairh
02-19-2011, 05:14 PM
managed to land 3 in total, a few nice hits as well. Probably woulda got more but had to try and help the others get into fish, rebating hooks etc... Snow was maybe a foot, there is water under it but i never managed to step through the crust into it.

alacringa
02-19-2011, 09:41 PM
leaving around 5:30am from Calgary North East.

Bubbles.

Leaving about the same time from SW. Might see some of you fellas out there.

bubbles
02-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Leaving about the same time from SW. Might see some of you fellas out there.

If you check this in the morning will be out there with out a tent near sparrowhawk come by and visit!

FishBrain
02-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Lots of fish in that area!!! they like to come thru there. Glad you got to show off the lakers to your friends. We will have to getout sometime again.
THat is a beauty fish!!!!!

prosnowsk8er
02-20-2011, 01:03 PM
If you check this in the morning will be out there with out a tent near sparrowhawk come by and visit!

were u the black tent? i was out by sparrowhawk this morning, didnt last very long tho, wore the wrong boots and my feet were frozen!

Blairh
02-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Couple pictures, finally figured out how to get em off my phone onto here...

bubbles
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
were u the black tent? i was out by sparrowhawk this morning, didnt last very long tho, wore the wrong boots and my feet were frozen!

Nope i was with the 2 guys just out on the ice we were out there till 1pm today.

were you the people who packed up early and left ? if so we were to the south of you.

alacringa
02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I was out until about 1:30...it was horrible early in the morning (7-10) -- slow action (just a couple of fish); smelts were frozen solid within half an hour, hands were starting to hurt from cold...but then the sun came over the hills, and it got warm fast. Not to mention, the fish started hitting pretty well. Nothing over about 17-18", but caught quite a few. Hated to have to leave, but I had to get back to town...and I ran out of bait. Late bite, today, for Spray (most of my hits were between 11:30 and 1:30).

prosnowsk8er
02-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Nope i was with the 2 guys just out on the ice we were out there till 1pm today.

were you the people who packed up early and left ? if so we were to the south of you.

i was the most north of the people, and ya i packed up early about 10:30, my feet were frozen and i only got a few nibbles...:sign0161:

bubbles
02-20-2011, 06:22 PM
i was the most north of the people, and ya i packed up early about 10:30, my feet were frozen and i only got a few nibbles...:sign0161:

Yeah it was pretty damn cold when we got there around 7 but when the sun came up it got really nice and toasty out. the hike down was horrid too deep snow not packed down got stuck up to my waste in some places.

alacringa
02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
bubbles -- it must have been you guys that I pulled in behind, just as we were both arriving, at 7:00ish. I was out on the lake ahead of you, and you set up to the North of where I was.

bubbles
02-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Just got back from the CT in the NE (near Deerfoot Mall) - they've got more than 10 glow-in-the-dark buzzbombs, in a variety of sizes.

Just a headsup in case you want some more!

Ya could of been us if so you passed us on the way down I was the guy dragging my bum getting down to the ice lol