PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of the Barns TTSX, What do you think?

Sitting Bull
02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,
Looking at trying a new bullet and was wondering if any one has any experience with it. I am considering the Barns TTSX Boat tail 168 gr. to go in my Ruger M77 30-06 as an all around bullet. The Barns site suggests IMR 4064 with 46.5 - 50.0gr. Any other recommendations from experience. I wont have access to my re loading manual till the weekend so I thought I would ask around.

Thanks.

Traps
02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
They are dynamite.....now go buy them.

Homesteader
02-16-2011, 08:55 PM
I would say an excellent choice, although I might lean more towards my fav. powder IMR 4350.

whitetail Junkie
02-16-2011, 11:06 PM
I think they're Junk,JMO~~

sheephunter
02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Have you actually shot anything with a TTSX WJ?

whitetailhntr
02-17-2011, 12:34 AM
To the OP, If your rifle will shoot them accurately you will be hard pressed to find a better bullet. They are devastating.

elkhunter11
02-17-2011, 05:48 AM
My hunting partners and myself, have had excellent results with the TTSX.

yoteman
02-17-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm buying my buddy's .243 and he loads the 80 gr. TTSX for it. I'm just wondering how much pelt damage can I expect on yotes. He told me he hasn't blown any up yet. Is that because they are thin skinned. I presume If I hit bone it will blow them apart, is that true. I use a triple deuce and load 40 gr. Nosler ballistic tips and pelt damage is usually quite minimul.

BigJon
02-17-2011, 08:44 AM
I would say an excellent choice, although I might lean more towards my fav. powder IMR 4350.

x2...you may want to have this powder on hand to try out as well....

tony d
02-17-2011, 08:59 AM
I use imr 3450 as well with the 150 excellent results I have also used the 168 tsx with 4350 I could not tell the difference in on game performance but the TTsx 150 was more accureat in my rifle so thats what I will stick with for now

yoteman
02-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Forgot to add, please pm me info on TTSX for .243 thanks.

TangoKilo
02-17-2011, 09:09 AM
TSX AND TTSX are outstanding bullets.

Ive been using them for many years now, and I'm continually astounded at how well they perform!!

WJ's entitled to his opinion, even though he's wrong!!

benamen
02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
The 168gr TTSX is the most accurate bullet that I have found for my Sako A7 in 300wsm. Took a nice sized moose with that bullet last fall.

Rackmastr
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
TSX AND TTSX are outstanding bullets.

Ive been using them for many years now, and I'm continually astounded at how well they perform!!

WJ's entitled to his opinion, even though he's wrong!!

x2 on all accounts.

I love the TTSX. Its worked great for me! I may try something a bit different this year just for 'fun' but the TTSX is the one bullet that a guy can always fall back on and trust.

buckbrushoutdoors
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Best bullet out there for weight retention at high velocity

Never had anything less than 99% retention even at velocities over 3500fps

whitetail Junkie
02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Have you actually shot anything with a TTSX WJ?

Yes I have!

Do you even Reload your own ammo ,for your Firearms SH?

sheephunter
02-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes I have!

Do you even Reload your own ammo for your Firearms?

What did you shoot? What range? What didn't you like about about the bullet's performance? What led you to the conclusions it was junk?

whitetail Junkie
02-17-2011, 12:57 PM
What did you shoot? What range? What didn't you like about about the bullet's performance? What led you to the conclusions it was junk?

Maybe after you answer my Question, i'll let you know!

sheephunter
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Maybe after you answer my Question, i'll let you know!

No I don't reload...I've stated that countless times on here.

whitetail Junkie
02-17-2011, 01:05 PM

3 whitetail Deer,100 yards, the other two about 250Yards.

257Wby mag,

all three deer shot in the lungs and ran hundreds of yards before they died.

very small exit wounds,there's not enough fragmentation in barnes bullets,to much like a FMJ.

Only thing I like is they are very accurate on paper with some rifles,but IMO not a great hunting bullet.

JMO

Chet
02-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I have settled on the 168gr tTSX in my 300 Weatherby. It is the most accurate bullet I've tested in that gun out of the 6 or so different ones that I have tried. I haven't shot too much game with them yet as I made the switch from Nosler Partitions to them farily recently. I shot a Whitetail length-wise with one last year and the penetration was outstanding. Also a good wound channel on the way in.

Rackmastr
02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I have settled on the 168gr tTSX in my 300 Weatherby. It is the most accurate bullet I've tested in that gun out of the 6 or so different ones that I have tried. I haven't shot too much game with them yet as I made the switch from Nosler Partitions to them farily recently. I shot a Whitetail length-wise with one last year and the penetration was outstanding. Also a good wound channel on the way in.

Its a hard bullet not to like. I've shot or watched dozens and dozens of animals with the TSX and the TTSX in the past few years. They do the trick very nicely no doubt and hold together for some great exits and great wound channels.

I will shoot the 140 or 150 TTSX or possibly the 160 Accubond out of my new 7SAUM...whichever shoots better!

buckbrushoutdoors
02-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I have shot 10+ big game animals with the 100gr tsx out of my 257 wby mag all entrance and exit wounds where border line gross huge holes both sides of the animal all shots have been between 60 and 350 yards

sheephunter
02-17-2011, 01:23 PM
3 whitetail Deer,100 yards, the other two about 250Yards.

257Wby mag,

all three deer shot in the lungs and ran hundreds of yards before they died.

very small exit wounds,there's not enough fragmentation in barnes bullets,to much like a FMJ.

Only thing I like is they are very accurate on paper with some rifles,but IMO not a great hunting bullet.

JMO

I thought you said before you killed those with an old style TSX?

Pathfinder76
02-17-2011, 01:29 PM
The TSX/TTSX do have their issues. All bullets do. They are not the be all end all but are pretty darn good at killing things from allota angles. Which is precisely the point.

Pathfinder76
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
I thought you said before you killed those with an old style TSX?

I also thought he had only shot one animal with them.

shooter
02-17-2011, 01:31 PM
X 3 on everything Tango said!

I love them. Shooting the 168 TTSX in my 300 wsm and they are fantastic. Have killed various critters in the past with the standard TSX as well and got great results.

Deer Hunter
02-17-2011, 01:38 PM
No I don't reload...I've stated that countless times on here.

How do you find factory tsx ttsx loads for accuracy? Barnes have been strict to find the seating depth that allows for good accuracy in handloads. For me anyways.

sheephunter
02-17-2011, 01:52 PM
How do you find factory tsx ttsx loads for accuracy? Barnes have been strict to find the seating depth that allows for good accuracy in handloads. For me anyways.

I found TSX accuracy to be acceptable in everything I've run them through. I wouldn't say it's the most accurate bullet in every rifle I've tried them and no doubt there could be some gains in accuracy reloading them. Vanessa's Tikka routinely punches sub 1" holes with them though. I'm a relative newcomer to the TSX/TTSX bullet. I too believed a lot of the information about poor expansion...yada yada yada. But after having shot or seen shot a couple dozen animals in the past two years, I'm not only a convert but I'm singing their praises. As our PH in Africa said, "there are those that shoot the TSX and those that don't know any better" LOL

Lots of good bullets on the market today and the TSX and TTSX are definitely two of them.

buckbrushoutdoors
02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I will be shooting wild pigs this weekend (not high fenced) with 110gr ttsx (3500 fps) out of my 270wsm I will be sure to post some pictures of damage on these harder skinned animal

Andrzej
02-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I like them for accuracy, toughness, lack of lead and looks.
Blue for hunting red for practice.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/Andrzej77/IMG_0577.jpg
Left 150gr TTSX 30-06 Bull Elk 6x6 150y,
Center 180 gr TSX 300 Weath.Mag MD Buck 160y;
Right 225 TTSX 338 Win Mag 520 y Cow Elk
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/Andrzej77/IMG_0290.jpg

As to OP question I think that IMR 4350 is better powder for 30-06 and for 165 gr I had excellent accuracy with 57.0 grain and 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip.
(Start lower)

Andrew

redranger15
02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
This was the first year I reloaded and the first time with the ttsx. I shot 2 caribou and a deer with 110gr ttsx 270 wsm. The first caribou was 175 yards and it blew through both shoulder blades. Number two was 75 yards and through the ribs, blood was pouring out like a tap. Nice hole coming out, not to big not to small. See pick. went about 10 yards. My deer was broad side and threw the ribs, same size hole about 2''. He went about 75 yards didn't really look for blood as I knew were he went. So far I like them, I loaded my bro up some 7mm 120gr ttsx and he had good results on his two caribou. http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad59/moosehunter3/e4608410.jpghttp://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad59/moosehunter3/483f614f.jpg

Twisted Canuck
02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
I tried them for the first time this year (I've always used the Nosler Partitions in the past), took a Muley doe at 239 yrds high in the lungs with 140 gr TSX 7mm-08, completely severed her spinal column. Bang Flop. Bullet did not fragment and was not recovered, exit wound however was not too huge. I think it is a tough bullet for sure and like that there are no lead fragments in the meat. That is my primary consideration for using it, and it will probably be my go to bullet from now on. I am going to try them in my .300 win mag next year for elk, either 165 or 180 gr depending how they shoot.

Drop_Tine
02-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I can vouch for wtj on those deer that ran 200 plus yards with the barnes bullets ... BUT I have been using nosler ballistic tips & accubonds ... On one occasion I shot a 190 to 200 inch white-tail through the lungs at 300 yards he ran 100 plus yards and jumped a fence & died , but I watched 2 fellow Alberta hunters drive through the field like mad men and load my deer of a lifetime into the back of there blue chevy 400 plus yards away. This year I had to shoot my antelope 2 twice at 100 yards before he fell the first shot only went through 1 shoulder I was not totally impressed with the performance , but when I shot my Alberta WT the entry & exits wounds were massive . I have been thinking about trying the tts. I guess everyone has there preference, so try a few different type of bullets and make you own decision and use the bullets that make you feel confident!

Sitting Bull
02-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for your replies guys,
Decisions, decisions, I will be giving them a try. Imr 4350 will be the powder. So I'll keep you posted on how well it does on paper and then will update my results during bear season.
I wonder why some had poor experiences on their game and others didn't?

Have a good night.

gitrdun
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
This was my first year trying out the TSX's out of the 7mm-08 on 4 deer. All ranged between 100 to 200 yards approximately and all were instant kills and complete pass through's. Another deer was slightly over 400 with a plain Jane 139gr Interlock, it too was a complete pass through and stepped out about 20 yards and expired. So, bottom line is, they worked for me, but then again so did the cheaper stuff. :)

7mm-08
02-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I think there awsome. Took my Moose this past fall with my 7mm-08 and a 140gr tsx and wow's all I can say through the shoulders and lungs. The lungs looked like someone took a 1.5 in round cookie cutter and poped a hole threw them, the Moose made 3 steps and fell over. A week later my uncle took his moose with my rifle using the 140gr tsx and one shot in the shoulder the moose was dirt straight down. So far i'm very pleased with there performance and accuracy out of my rifle.

ishootbambi
02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your replies guys,
Decisions, decisions, I will be giving them a try. Imr 4350 will be the powder. So I'll keep you posted on how well it does on paper and then will update my results during bear season.
I wonder why some had poor experiences on their game and others didn't?

Have a good night.

i havent used them, but from what ive read here about them, the difference seems to be velocity. i dont remember the numbers offhand, but again from what ive read they perform very well at the right velocity, but expand very little once they slow down. i dont do it on purpose, but sometimes a longer shot is required. i dont want to have to be thinking about what speed the bullet is travelling at what range when the moment of truth arrives. that, and the point that they seem to be very fussy about seating depth to get accuracy are the reasons i wont be trying them. there are a few guys here who know a lot more about such things than i do and im good with going on their advice. oh, and they are a little pricey too. the bullets i have found success with cost a lot less so that allows me to practice more for less money.