PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo Sting Ray

FishingFrenzy
02-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey everyone,
Wonder what the consensus is on these eskimo sting-rays? I believe it is the one they had at costco and they also have it at TFH. Overall looking at specs, reviews, etc it seems like eskimo makes a good auger and the stingray is pretty decent. The main attraction for me is the price, only 290, is it a "get what you pay for" scenario?

Im also looking at the eskimo shark, is the extra 60 bucks worth it? I cant really tell the difference between the two other than the shark might be more powerful??

Opinions?

Also has anywhere seen these on sale? i regret not grabbing one at costco when they had em.

TIGHT LINES!

Willowtrail
02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I had the same questions your asking a month ago. I takked with the guys t the ss fishin hole and decided to buy the shark and glad I did. I love it. Lots of torque and power. Their thoughts were that the 1.2 hp was minimal so I decided to agree.

My shatk has treated me well and starts great. I would recommend it.

Not sure where your located but ss edmonton fishin hile is out of sharks.

Rob S
02-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Hey everyone,
Wonder what the consensus is on these eskimo sting-rays? I believe it is the one they had at costco and they also have it at TFH. Overall looking at specs, reviews, etc it seems like eskimo makes a good auger and the stingray is pretty decent. The main attraction for me is the price, only 290, is it a "get what you pay for" scenario?

Im also looking at the eskimo shark, is the extra 60 bucks worth it? I cant really tell the difference between the two other than the shark might be more powerful??

Opinions?

Also has anywhere seen these on sale? i regret not grabbing one at costco when they had em.

TIGHT LINES!

I bought mine at a going out of business sale for about the same price...It works awesome and I am very happy with it. Has only NOT started on the first pull maybe 3 times. Very reliable and wins every auger off :-) AND about third time I had it out I got the auger blade jammed down in the ice. Now Ive jammed a thousamd times but always was able to get the auger either out, or smah it down through the rest of the way. Not this time. I told eskimo how it all went down and they sent me another blade. Customer service was top notch!!

Jimboy
02-16-2011, 06:24 PM
My sting ray is excellent , you might want to reinforce the top of the pull rope housing as l did with 2 layers of fiberglass cloth and resin , the vibration can crack that and its toast.
Also when your near to breaking thru , pull up a little bit and half throttle.

FishingFrenzy
02-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I bought mine at a going out of business sale for about the same price...It works awesome and I am very happy with it. Has only NOT started on the first pull maybe 3 times. Very reliable and wins every auger off :-) AND about third time I had it out I got the auger blade jammed down in the ice. Now Ive jammed a thousamd times but always was able to get the auger either out, or smah it down through the rest of the way. Not this time. I told eskimo how it all went down and they sent me another blade. Customer service was top notch!!

Just to clarify you have the sting-ray?? Thanks for the info!

SonnyJ
02-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I got the Eskimo Mako last Christmas and I love it.The mako has a 43cc engine and can handle a 10 inch auger,mine came with an 8 inch which is plenty big enough fo the fish I catch.

hockey1099
02-16-2011, 06:36 PM
I got the Eskimo Mako last Christmas and I love it.The mako has a 43cc engine and can handle a 10 inch auger,mine came with an 8 inch which is plenty big enough fo the fish I catch.

Have the mako as well. Starts first pull everytime be it -30 or +4.

Love the eskimo brand.

Rob S
02-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Just to clarify you have the sting-ray?? Thanks for the info!

Yes sir, 8", 1.2 HP Stingray :-)

Even ran out to the garage to make sure my infor was correct :-)))

buckmaster
02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey everyone,

Opinions?

TIGHT LINES!
Costco sells the "mako 43cc" augers and THF sells the stingray models.I believe the only difference in the two models is that the mako has a slower turning gearcase than the stingray models .

SonnyJ
02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Costco sells the "mako 43cc" augers and THF sells the stingray models.I believe the only difference in the two models is that the mako has a slower turning gearcase than the stingray models .

Doesn't the stingray have the smaller 33cc engine?

FishingFrenzy
02-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate it! Now, the next thing is to find a stingray on sale... If anyone knows of or see's one on sale PLEASE let me know! Or if anyone has one to sell... that could work too:)

Tightlines!

EDIT: Oh yeah, Here's my dilemma, DO i buy one now (if i find one on sale) as we are nearing the end of the hardwater season..? or do i wait and see what new stuff they come out with next near...? ALL THE CHOICES :scared0018:

SonnyJ
02-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate it! Now, the next thing is to find a stingray on sale... If anyone knows of or see's one on sale PLEASE let me know! Or if anyone has one to sell... that could work too:)

Tightlines!

EDIT: Oh yeah, Here's my dilemma, DO i buy one now (if i find one on sale) as we are nearing the end of the hardwater season..? or do i wait and see what new stuff they come out with next near...? ALL THE CHOICES :scared0018:

Buy one now...next season they will almost certainly be priced higher..

Kim473
02-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Buy one now. I got the Mako and will start one pull if you prime twice, choke and pull. Don't have to pull hard, thats the way they will break like others have posted. I'm happy with mine, second season about 400 holes. Too much plastic tho.

Jimboy
02-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Tightlines!

Theres one for sale on this forum as we speak , go to fishing items on sale.

nicemustang
02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
I have the sting ray 1.2HP model. I've had it for 4 years, purchased from Costco. It is a great unit. Ask anyone one here that I've fished with. It starts first pull, 8" auger has 2 blades instead of 1, it has a metal gearbox, not plastic, even though it only has 1.2 HP, it has very low torque and it cuts very well. It's not breaking any speed records but it never bogs down and I've drilled through almost 4' of ice with it before with no issues (extension used of course). It's tops in my books for the price it is. I only paid $189.99 for mine 4 years ago.

GaryF
02-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Anyone know of who else carries the eskimo sharks? Both TFH and WSS are completely out of stock province wide.

FishingFrenzy
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Anyone know of who else carries the eskimo sharks? Both TFH and WSS are completely out of stock province wide.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/IceFishing/PRDOVR~0788112P/Eskimo%252BShark%252BPower%252BIce%252BAuger.jsp?l ocale=en

Still in stock at canadian tire, price is a absolute RIPOFF. maybe they will price match?

GaryF
02-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Nope, tried. They need to have a printed flyer from the store to do that. So unless TFH or WSS prints a sale flyer and distributes it, your outta luck. And no, the web page is not acceptable either. TFH is not going to bring in anymore eskimo augers this season either, already asked.

SonnyJ
02-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Nope, tried. They need to have a printed flyer from the store to do that. So unless TFH or WSS prints a sale flyer and distributes it, your outta luck. And no, the web page is not acceptable either. TFH is not going to bring in anymore eskimo augers this season either, already asked.

Did you try Walmart?
That's where I got my Mako.

FishingFrenzy
02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Did you try Walmart?
That's where I got my Mako.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you get the Mako for?

SonnyJ
02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
If you dont mind me asking, how much did you get the Mako for?

I paid $399 for the Mako and they had the Stingrays on for $349..this was in Hinton.

GaryF
02-18-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks, I'll have to go look.

dragon
02-18-2011, 05:42 AM
I have a mako.. love it

buddy has a stingray... pulled it out last week and he hasn't used it in 2 years... primed it and started first pull with the old gas in it...

GaryF
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Walmart has the mako's and stingrays on sale right now. Picked up the mako for $350, and the stingrays are $300, at least at the store I went into. Thanks for the heads up on wally world!!

Tyangelo
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I've had the Stingray for 2 years. Never had a single problem. The smaller engine has no problem at all, as it's a larger gear ratio. It works great. How fast do you really need to drill a hole?

Fisherpeak
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
I've had the Stingray for 2 years. Never had a single problem. The smaller engine has no problem at all, as it's a larger gear ratio. It works great. How fast do you really need to drill a hole?

What he said.I love mine,getting too old and lazy to hand crank holes anymore.I keep mine in the basement when not in use,2 pumps ,choke and away we go.

FishingFrenzy
02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys! GaryF, Which wally world did you try??

Im either going to head to walmart and buy the Mako or eskimo or buying the Stingray off the fishin hole website

Stingray 300
Mako is 350 at walmart
Shark is 380 at fishin hole with shipping.

Im leaning towards the mako, mid price, all the power i should need. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

crashingagain
02-18-2011, 07:13 PM
you might wanna check out wholesale sports as well. I got my shark there, best price in edmonton bout 5 years ago or so

FishingFrenzy
02-18-2011, 07:15 PM
you might wanna check out wholesale sports as well. I got my shark there, best price in edmonton bout 5 years ago or so

Thanks! i did look on the wholesale website, Overpriced this year.
Its 20 bucks more than TFH, not that bad i guess.

cribfisher
02-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I've had a 10" mako for 5 years and ame totaly happy with it. It always starts 1st pull and the blades are still cutting like new. One thing I would suggest is to be careful priming it. When I first got mine I found much more than one push of the primer could flood it, so until your use to it prime once and try to start it. You can always give it a little more if it's not enough. Also I don't know if this is your first power auger but one mistake I see people frequently make is to put thier weight down on the auger as its cutting. A power auger with good blades should cut under it's own weight. Pressing down only puts more stress on the engine and dulls the blades much faster. Mine has cut several hundred holes and I can still use it one handed, letting the other handle rest against my hip and slide down my leg as it cuts.

FishingFrenzy
02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I've had a 10" mako for 5 years and ame totaly happy with it. It always starts 1st pull and the blades are still cutting like new. One thing I would suggest is to be careful priming it. When I first got mine I found much more than one push of the primer could flood it, so until your use to it prime once and try to start it. You can always give it a little more if it's not enough. Also I don't know if this is your first power auger but one mistake I see people frequently make is to put thier weight down on the auger as its cutting. A power auger with good blades should cut under it's own weight. Pressing down only puts more stress on the engine and dulls the blades much faster. Mine has cut several hundred holes and I can still use it one handed, letting the other handle rest against my hip and slide down my leg as it cuts.

I really appreciate tips like that! This is my first power auger so any odd tidbits like that help out a bunch!

Thanks!!

GaryF
02-19-2011, 09:29 AM
WSS and TFH are out of the eskimo augers and won't be ordering any in. You may push add to cart on the web page just to find out there aren't any available. The walmart I went to was deerfoot mall in calgary. It was the last mako there, but there is still a stingray on the shelf.

Kim473
02-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Check the fishing center on 82st in Ed.