PDA

View Full Version : New guy, looking for a multi purpose boat

ouyin2000
02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Hello, I'm Ryan. New guy to this forum.

I'm looking to pick up a decent multipurpose boat this year. Preferably before this summer comes.

Doing my own research, I came up with 2 choices. Either a Legend 18 Excalibur or a Mirrocraft 1945 Dual Impact.

In the near future, I will be mostly just casual fishing with a couple of my buddies, but I'm looking to make this a one time purchase, and a long term investment. So planning for the future, I'd like to be able to haul around a wife/kids and get just as much enjoyment out of my boat.

Now I'm not looking for you guys to tell me what all of you have, because something like this is like comparing Ford to Chevy. It's all just brand names, and everyone has their own opinion. What I am looking for is some impartial information specific to these options.

I've already read up on the Legend a bit, and although I was leaning more towards that one, now I'm leaning more away from it. I've noticed that it is a light boat, and might get tossed around a bit more on the windy lakes around here. I'm also not too keen on having to purchase a motor upgrade for it. But I do like the fact that it's a Canadian brand name (Not a deal breaker if it's US, but I do like supporting the home team)

Now for the Mirrocraft. On these forums, at least, I havn't seen very much information about this one. So I'm interested to hear what you guys know about it.

I'm also open to other brands.

Criteria that I am looking for:
Price: Preferably $8-10,000 Used, but I'm ok with upwards of $12,000, maybe a bit more if I wait a bit longer for some more savings.
Length: 16-18 feet. 14 is ok too. Just large enough for say, 4 to 6 people comfortably.
I really like the idea of a full windshield, vice just a side console, and I would like a stand up tarp included (noticed the Legend has this included in the price), whereas the Mirrocraft is only optional.

Now I've been looking at new boats only so far, but Kijiji and Craigslist are about to be scoured shortly. I'm just trying to get an idea of the exact model that I want to look for.

I plan on spending lots of time at the Edmonton Boat and Sportsmen's Show, to get a hands on look at some of these boats.

Dust1n
02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
welcome to the forum :)

npauls
02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Check out the for sale forum on here in the boat section and you might be able to find something.

Also check websites for the states. You can get alot more boat for alot less money in the states. The same can be said for ontario. They seem to have alot lower prices then around here on used boats.

Check out crankyape.com. It is a repo website that auctions off alot of boats for what seems to be pretty cheap for some of them. You have to keep looking every day or 2 since they are always putting new boats up there.

Another good site to check is walleyecentral.com. They have a section that lists a ton of boats and almost all of them are fishing boats. If you are planning on tubing, skiing, and wakeboarding make sure that the boat has enough jam to tow a guy.

I had an older boat that could tow a few people at a time but was old and pretty beat up. So I sold it and ended up buying a 16.5' alumacraft single console with a small 40hp 4 stroke on it. I figured I would just repower and be all good. Well times have been kind of tough lately and I am now stuck with the 40hp for awhile. This is fine for now for me and a buddy to head out fishing but once the kid gets a bit older and wants to start tubing I will either have to repower or trade this boat in for another.

Good luck with your search and make sure to look over everything on a used boat. Also a good idea to get a compression test done on the motor and have it completely looked over from a marine mechanic. A motor rebuild or other problems could become costly pretty quick.

Safety D
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
I would go welded aluminium. Last a lifetime and dont depreciate as much...

ouyin2000
02-17-2011, 10:00 PM
So nobody has any experience with Mirrocraft?

nicemustang
02-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Those two choices you mentioned are pretty much the same type/style and entry level boat, don't see why either are not a good choice if that's what you really want. Sounds like you've done lots of research so you have things pretty figured out.

My only things. Consider all the extras you will need to buy to get your new boat in the water. It adds up quick. Top, cover, safety kit, orrs, anchors, life jackets, etc. So make sure you budget that. GST as well when you bring it over border. I don't know of any places off hand that sell a mirrorcraft here in canada. I'm no boat expert though.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.

Jiffy10
02-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Unfortunatly we dont have a great deal of used units for a decent price
out west. I purchased my Legend Last Feb 11 from an Ontario dealer who
used Kijiji to intro the unit. Mine had 31 hours on it and I saved approx.
8,000 on the price of the exact new unit. It cost $1200 to get it shipped
wrapped and unloaded to my door. I still saved a ton of cash. The reason
for shopping where the boats are is simple. They have the stock and
they are usually motivated. Try Kijiji in about 5 Ont. citys and you will
see the variety of units and the BIG diff. in the price. ALso .... try google for a variety of boat dealers in Winnipeg and Ontario. They usually have a good
deal on used units . Toronto boat show was in mid Jan. The dealers there
take in their largest selection of used units at this massive show.
Mine was a one year old trade in that was dealt at the Boat Show.
My advice as far as a brand ??? Unless your heading out on the professional tour .... dont get to hung up on Brands. They are very much
the same with subtle differences. Alberta has a limited brand and dealer selection. Lund an Princecraft are very nice boats. I couldnt see the value
in the big dollar diff. They are all good units or they would be out of business.

welcome to the forum.....

bisonhunter
02-18-2011, 07:48 AM
my first boat was a 16 foot mirrocraft troller xl with a yamaha 50 on the back end. it was built in 1991, and i got it in 2003. i had the hull split on both sides from the pounding of the waves. nothing like seeing 20 inches of daylight through the seam at water level while on step, halfways up a 10 km lake! makes you a bit nervous, but all was fine.
the thing to remember is that we have big water up here and it just wasn't suited to the 2-3 chop that can whip up in a minute on a big lake.

i would say that the boat was very uncomfortable with more than two people in it. the sides were very low, and the hull was too narrow for any amount of people to be aboard.
the good part about it was that it was a very nice cruising boat with a top speed of 32 mph with two people in it on flat water.
my suggestion is something a bit bigger if you plan on making it a family boat. take into consideration the beam measurement, it's critical to your enjoyment as your family grows. i now run an 18.5 foot sylvan pro fisherman, and it is just right for four people.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/robthefisher/DSC_0656.jpg
you can see my repair job on the hull below the writing on the side. i had to do the exact same thing on the other side.
my 2 cents.

Shmag
02-18-2011, 09:09 AM
For 10 grand, give or take 2 grand you should be able to get a decent boat. I dont think spending to much time at the boat and sportsman show will give you too much info...boats are always changing so not much sense comparing a new boat to buying a used one...might be misleading.

Personally in that range i would be looking for a used 17 ft fish/ski. You will find dealing with a used on a personal sale, guys will throw in alot of extra's (lifejackets, anchor, paddles, tarps, electronics, spare prop, etc.)

I would be opened to buying any brand if the price is right, crestliner, lund tracker, sylvan are all pretty good boats. Like you said in your post make sure you have enough hp to push that boat. So many dealers are underpowering them to make them affordable. I am guessing a 17ft should have a minumum of 90hp.

Spend alot of time on the net, there is some amazing deals, and with our dollar where its at you can pick up a great deal out of the states. Keep in mind whatever you buy that you have a dealer close by that can do servicing on it.

I dont think this will be a long time purchase, lol....i have heard this all the time only to see guys keep upgrading so go into it with an open mind.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you settle on

pope
02-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Difficult to shop by brand name when you are searching used. Just know what features you want and have your money ready - good deals don't last long at this time of year. If you want something specific, you will likely have to travel.

coaldale fisherman
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Make sure you check the classifieds every day and be prepared to jump on a deal. I find that most people value their boats way too high; when you find a good deal you have to be prepared to commit right away. If the boat is a good deal then usually the first person to look at it buys it.

coaldale fisherman
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Oh, and I wouldn;t rule out a nice fibreglass, they are heavy and stable; usually more comfortable for the family. I built a livewell out of a cooler;

rielbowhunter
02-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I would go welded aluminium. Last a lifetime and dont depreciate as much...

YES a HARBERCARFT. http://www.harbercraft.com/ :bad_boys_20: