PDA

View Full Version : Moose is hanging - now what?

Morsky
11-20-2007, 07:47 PM
We have a 5 year bull hanging outside in Lac La Biche. I am worried about the temepeture being well below zero. Currently -9c

Is this a concern?

I was also hopeful that anyone here in the region has any recommendations for a processor. They seem few and far between.

Any help or URL's would be greatly appreciated.

My first hunt, and my first bull :)

willy
11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Wont be a problem it will just be frozen solid will need to thaw to cut up wich takes quite awhile.

lurch
11-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Good job on the Bull. You should have some great eating there!

Be happy it is -9, nothing to worry about. Much better than if it were +9....

Morsky
11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
I figured I was too worried about it. We had a foot of snow to gut and quarter him in so he is very clean and now skinned,.... hung 12 feet up, poly'ed, tarped and ready to go to a freezer for some aging.

I did find a few places this evening - Thebuthchersbus.com near Tofield, and Atlas Cutlery in North Edmonton. Thank the Sportsman's show for those....

Thanks for the replies!

Call of the Wild
11-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Don't worry at all. I shot a bull moose as well on nov 11. Brother and I cut it in 4 parts and place everything in the truck with tarp on top, so birds don't play in the meat. We still had a week of hunting for deer.

I'm now cutting and wrapping my meat. I'm half done with the moose and tonight we had for supper some tenderloin and some steaks. They were awesome and very tender, funny people I live with call me a BBQ freak. Just like that my moose is 48 inches wide and beside our camp there was a group hunting for moose. They said my moose is about 6 years old, I kind of believe it he is heavy as hell. I'm new to moose hunting so I can't estimate the age of moose.

Anyway hang your moose and put something around it, to prevent bird to play with it. Its cold enough you won't loose meat. Also one guy of our elk hunting group used to be a butcher. He showed and told me what I need to know when processing meat. Leave the tenderloins on the animal. If you’re going to loose some tenderloins meat, it will be the surface in contact with the air and it should be minimal.

Congrad on your moose

Call of the Wild

unclebuck
11-21-2007, 04:57 AM
Check with Art at Scott's Meat Shop at 780-623-7743. He is located along Hwy 663 toward Boyle, just past the the cutacross to Hwy 36, on the north side of the highway. It would be 7-8 miles from town, with the place being identified.
Congratulations on the moose.

Morsky
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Scott's was the one place I had found that was NOT recommended.

I have found was one of two places that seem comfortable

Kitscoty meats and Diamond 7 meats in Lloydminster. Both seem very knowledgable and willing to accept the moose unboned.

Apparently moose does not age well, because there is little fat in moose so this tends to let the meat dry out more. Whereas domestic meat has lots of fat and hold the moisture very well.

bagwan
11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Guys on this forum have recommended Butcherinabus and he has responded with good advice on this forum as well. He's also closer to the 21/14 Highway intersection than to Tofield, I think. I know the Kitscoty outlet does a resonable job but you'll end up paying more than your whole trip combined. Like a side of beef cut and wrapped would be cheaper than hanging and cutting a moose. Check on prices before you drop it off. Some good comments have been on this forum about pricing. Consider doing it yourself if you have the facilities. Hope this helps.

honda450
11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Heres another place although I have no experience with them AJ' s Meat and Deli 780 473-1977 14081 Victoria Trail Edmonton. Owners name is Jeff

Morsky
11-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Yes I had the Butcher's Bus leaflet from the sportman show earlier this year. I was just off on the name. I am glad to hear that others have spoke of him in good light.

AJ's I have not spoken to yet. I am assuming like all "in town" butchers they will want 0.90 per pound measure on the hook for cutting and wrapping.
I understand AJ's does not do sausage of any type. So I would have to move that over to another butcher for this service.

Kitcoty meats was the most reasonable at 0.50 per pound on the hook, but his freezer was full and he was taking reservations for next week.

Victoria Fancy Sausage does everything as well and are located in Edmonton but again at 0.90 on the hook they are expensive as well.

I am starting to settle into Diamond7 on the Sask side of Lloydminister, at 0.70 on the hook with all the services I am thinking this would be best for me.

I spoke to many butchers today trying to learn about freezing, aging and such and I have learned that aging Moose is not a great idea unless it is done in a near perfect environment. ie. 1-3 degrees c and 85% humidity. Problem with this is that Alberta will never stay at 1-3 degress and 85% humidity and butchers cherish their freezer space at this time of year.

Great help everyone, so glad I have this forum to return to for any future questions.

The hunt was awesome until I looked at a 1400 pound bull and thought to myself, "How the hell am I going to get him into the truck parked on a goat trail 50 yards away?"

We did it thanks to a winch, a sharp knife and our chainsaw

sheephunter
11-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Morsky, doing your own butchering is not that difficult if you have someone show you the right way first. Check out your local fish and game club this winter and see if they or a nearby club are holding a butchering clinic. I still take my trim in to have sausage made but other than that...cutting a moose up is pretty simple work. I know it's a bit late this year but it could save you a bunch of dough next year.

Morsky
11-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Yup, i'd agree......

Now that it's hanging as I type I am more concerned with getting into bit size pieces.

Many lessons learned and to be learned, I am looking forward to the next adventure. Morsky the Moose Butcher, lol

Hooked07
11-21-2007, 11:57 PM
I have taken my Moose to Clayberts Custom Cuts out at Franchere Bay (Glendon area) Pretty happy with his butchering if he has room for you though, very busy of course.

mdepeel
11-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Dean Schlecker of Schlecker Meats does phenomenal work. Been going to him for about 4 years now. He makes the best jerky ever. He's just a few minutes SW of Stony Plain. Number is in the book.

mooseburger
11-24-2007, 03:13 AM
you can buy a meat cutting (Beef) chart from butchers and packers, which show pretty well the same cuts as deer,moose etc. i used to use this when i used to cut my own...........MB

Reeves1
11-24-2007, 05:59 AM
The perfect temperature for hanging meat is +3c. The reason for hanging meat is so the enzime (sp?) that holds the muscle tissues together breaks down: making the meat tender.
With a Moose size critter it can take up to 15 days.
However, if it is allowed to freeze, the aging process stops.

archdlx
11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I have used Len at Kitscoty meats for at least four years now....always friendly, good service. Meat saws never touch bone. There is a reason he is always full. I don't care what the cost is when you get what you want, and it is done well!!

LeRoy