PDA

View Full Version : Tip up tips

marty1
02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
To all those who enjoy chasing pike all winter and lets not forget early ice monsters there's a few things i feel you should know if you use tip ups.I see people make the same mistakes every year,their flag goes up they run over grab it and set the hook at some random time and wounder why their catch rates are so low. So in order this is what i do if you don't already.THE FLAG GOES UP AND SO MAKE YOUR OVER AND MOST TIMES THE FISH WILL BE PULLING OUT LINE AND YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING DOWN ON YOUR TIP UP AND YOU'LL NOTICE THE SHAFT SPINNING THAT HOLDS YOUR LINE.DO NOT PICK UP THE TIP UP UNTIL THE SHAFT STOPS.PULL OUT TIP UP FROM HOLE PULL OUT A LITTLE LINE AND WAIT TILL HE STARTS MOVING AWAY AGAIN THEN HIT HIM.FISH HOOKED.WHEN PIKE HIT A BAIT(SMELT)THEY HIT IT FROM THE SIDE AND WON'T DO MUCH WITH IT TILL HE TURNS IT AROUND HEAD FIRST,AND THATS WHY ITS NOT UNTIL HE STOPS AND MOVES AGAIN IS WHEN A HOOK SET IS ATTEMPTED.NOW SAYING THAT ON THE FIRST FISH LOOK AT WHERES HE'S HOOKED YOU MAY NEED TO ADJUST YOUR TIMING,IT DEPENDS ON HOW AGRESSIVE THEY MAY BE.KNOW NEED TO KILL FISH.EVERY DAYS DIFFERENT.I KNOW IT WORKS A BUDDY AND I HAVE HAD SERIOUSLY 50 FISH DAY AND MANY 20 FISH DAYS AND ARE CATCH RATES MUST BE 94 PERCENT.SO GIVE IT A SHOT WORKS FOR ME.

Daceminnow
02-17-2011, 07:53 PM
you're right every day is different and every fish is different on every body of water. and some days it just don't taste quite right and they spit it out. there's lots of variables. the sun rises every morning and sets every evening too. 100%. keep on hookin em.

gui
02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
yea... ive done that b4 tho, i waited for the spinner to stop and take off again. cuz i hear they hit it then go for a while then stop and then eat it... but when id pull when after they take off again nothing would be there... maybe they were too small of pike??? not sure...

chubbdarter
02-17-2011, 08:34 PM
in my opinion this is old school thinking for pike fishing. most people who used that technique dont anymore, it results in many pike being DEAD. With the modern quick strike rigs its almost always a solid hook up and its a hook up in the pikes mouth NOT the throat area.Waiting for a big pike to turn the bait is a risk not worth taking.
If there is one thing the fisherman from the UK have taught us ..its how to get hooked up and always be able to release the pike

Daceminnow
02-17-2011, 09:10 PM
i think some may not be familiar or maybe unsure how to present their baits on quick strike rigs and are therefore hesitant to use them. with a number of derbys coming up in the next few weeks i thought i'd post this link i found a few years back. might allow guys a better chance of hooking up and getting their fish to the weight in safely. most likely save a few northerns as well.

http://www.musky.com/Features/strike.htm

wrenchmonkey
02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I use a two treble cradle. real good hookup rate. also bait sits horizontal in the water. Don't like QS rigs for hard water for that reason. don't like the presentation. Each to his own I guess.

nicemustang
02-17-2011, 09:24 PM
in my opinion this is old school thinking for pike fishing. most people who used that technique dont anymore, it results in many pike being DEAD. With the modern quick strike rigs its almost always a solid hook up and its a hook up in the pikes mouth NOT the throat area.Waiting for a big pike to turn the bait is a risk not worth taking.
If there is one thing the fisherman from the UK have taught us ..its how to get hooked up and always be able to release the pike

x2 agree.

Daceminnow
02-17-2011, 09:30 PM
I use a two treble cradle. real good hookup rate. also bait sits horizontal in the water. Don't like QS rigs for hard water for that reason. don't like the presentation. Each to his own I guess.

the presentation. thats another big reason guys are scared to use them. try nosing your bait right onto the bottom.

huntsfurfish
02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
"in my opinion this is old school thinking for pike fishing. most people who used that technique dont anymore, it results in many pike being DEAD. With the modern quick strike rigs its almost always a solid hook up and its a hook up in the pikes mouth NOT the throat area.Waiting for a big pike to turn the bait is a risk not worth taking.
If there is one thing the fisherman from the UK have taught us ..its how to get hooked up and always be able to release the pike "

Agree.

"I use a two treble cradle."

Just another version of the quick strike rig. And as you said keeps bait horizontal. The other version allows the bait to be hung head down or head up which can also be effective. Fish will show a preference and on any given day could be any of the 3 ways.

name
02-18-2011, 03:22 AM
tips are too fun, espesially when the boys are fighten over then, when there are a few beers

MoFugger21
02-18-2011, 09:03 AM
To all those who enjoy chasing pike all winter and lets not forget early ice monsters there's a few things i feel you should know if you use tip ups.I see people make the same mistakes every year,their flag goes up they run over grab it and set the hook at some random time and wounder why their catch rates are so low. So in order this is what i do if you don't already.THE FLAG GOES UP AND SO MAKE YOUR OVER AND MOST TIMES THE FISH WILL BE PULLING OUT LINE AND YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING DOWN ON YOUR TIP UP AND YOU'LL NOTICE THE SHAFT SPINNING THAT HOLDS YOUR LINE.DO NOT PICK UP THE TIP UP UNTIL THE SHAFT STOPS.PULL OUT TIP UP FROM HOLE PULL OUT A LITTLE LINE AND WAIT TILL HE STARTS MOVING AWAY AGAIN THEN HIT HIM.FISH HOOKED.WHEN PIKE HIT A BAIT(SMELT)THEY HIT IT FROM THE SIDE AND WON'T DO MUCH WITH IT TILL HE TURNS IT AROUND HEAD FIRST,AND THATS WHY ITS NOT UNTIL HE STOPS AND MOVES AGAIN IS WHEN A HOOK SET IS ATTEMPTED.NOW SAYING THAT ON THE FIRST FISH LOOK AT WHERES HE'S HOOKED YOU MAY NEED TO ADJUST YOUR TIMING,IT DEPENDS ON HOW AGRESSIVE THEY MAY BE.KNOW NEED TO KILL FISH.EVERY DAYS DIFFERENT.I KNOW IT WORKS A BUDDY AND I HAVE HAD SERIOUSLY 50 FISH DAY AND MANY 20 FISH DAYS AND ARE CATCH RATES MUST BE 94 PERCENT.SO GIVE IT A SHOT WORKS FOR ME.

This all depends on how you have your bait set up/hooked. If you're using some version of a quick strike rig, there's no real reason to let the fish run and run and run with the bait. With those rigs, it usually (<--being the key word) doesn't matter where the pike have grabbed the bait (tail,side,head), typically the quick strike rigs will hook up with one of the trebles when setting the hook near immediately. Usually..... Lol.

That being said, we've had numerous fish grab the bait by the belly and run off with it, and when we've set the hook immediately we've obviously missed it because of the placement of the hooks w/ the quick strike rigs.

If we go with an old school approach with the treble in the mouth of the bait, and the leader through the body, we will, as you have mentioned, let the pike run a little longer. This is to allow the fish to turn the bait so it's head first in the pike's mouth, thus putting the treble in the pike's mouth. But like Chub has stated, the problem with this approach is the mortality rate of the fish will be higher due to the increased chance of the pike swallowing the bait (hook and all).

I'm not saying one approach is better than the other, to each his own, but how you approach your hook sets all depends on how you present your bait and the tackle being used.

marty1
02-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I get and see the point and that's fine it what works for me.Iv'e had very few badly hooked fish over the many years and those are usually my one fish a year that i take home. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE BUT AS LONG AS I KEEP CATCHING MY 20+ POUNDERS EVERY YEAR AND THEN SETTING THEM FREE SCOTT FREE(NO BLOOD)I'LL KEEP ON USING THIS METHOD.I DON'T LIKE KILLING FISH IN FACT CAN'T STAND IT.NICE TO SEE THAT THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT CARE ABOUT ARE RESOURCE.THANKS FOR THE REPLY

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2011, 11:04 PM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/brick.jpg

LOUD NOISES!!!

MoFugger21
02-18-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/brick.jpg

LOUD NOISES!!!

I lol'd! For real! Well played!