PDA

View Full Version : Family day long weekend - how bad will it be?

Geezle
02-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Last year I don't think I was back home yet for the family day/free fishing weekend, so I don't really know what to expect. Just how busy do you guys think the lakes are going to be?

On one hand it's great to get people into the sport, but on the other hand I fear that some of the lakes are going to be a complete gong show, though I'm sure some of it will be entertaining. I considered not going fishing this weekend to avoid the crowds but I'm sure if I try hard enough I can find somewhere quiet-ish.

mooseknuckle
02-18-2011, 08:00 AM
You? Take a day off of fishing? Look out people I fear the end is near! Lol.

I figure the best thing would be to get out early and yeah maybe find a spot that generally wouldn't be all that busy.

Alberta Redneck
02-18-2011, 08:06 AM
I bet the -24c weather will probobally deter some people from picking up the sport for a weekend.

Geezle
02-18-2011, 08:17 AM
I bet the -24c weather will probobally deter some people from picking up the sport for a weekend.

This is true! :lol:

Geezle
02-18-2011, 08:18 AM
You? Take a day off of fishing? Look out people I fear the end is near! Lol.

I figure the best thing would be to get out early and yeah maybe find a spot that generally wouldn't be all that busy.

Yeah, truth be told I probably won't take a day off fishing :lol:

Yesterday afternoon went well enough that if I'm done at the Stollery with Ken and the crowd at a reasonable enough time I may head out for the afternoon today too!

mooseknuckle
02-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah, truth be told I probably won't take a day off fishing :lol:

Yesterday afternoon went well enough that if I'm done at the Stollery with Ken and the crowd at a reasonable enough time I may head out for the afternoon today too!

Yeah sorry I'm unable to make the stollery. I'll be stuck at the office. Feel free to stop by the office on your way out I'll buy you a beer.

Crusty
02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
On one hand it's great to get people into the sport, but on the other hand I fear that some of the lakes are going to be a complete gong show, though I'm sure some of it will be entertaining. I considered not going fishing this weekend to avoid the crowds but I'm sure if I try hard enough I can find somewhere quiet-ish.

Our lakes are there for everyone to enjoy. They are not your "private" get aways. Again this shows some on this forum believe they are a step above the rest. As fisherpeople probably, regular Joe's can have as much fun in OUR great outdoors and maybe show respect to their fellow man more so?

Photoplex
02-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Our lakes are there for everyone to enjoy. They are not your "private" get aways. Again this shows some on this forum believe they are a step above the rest. As fisherpeople probably, regular Joe's can have as much fun in OUR great outdoors and maybe show respect to their fellow man more so?

Way to take his post WAY out of context. How tiresome.

maclennanchris
02-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Really....relax. They guy just likes a little peace n quiet and im sure a few fish too go along with it.

timsesink
02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Saturday due to the cold I think will be fine but watch out on Monday! It's going to be pure gong show!

mooseknuckle
02-18-2011, 10:05 AM

As a close personal friend of Jay's (geezle) I can assure you, your way off base buddy.

Bound2Fish
02-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Geezle never said anything about others going out and enjoying themselves, he simply said we would prefer avoiding the masses. I think you are way off base and turned a simple comment around and took it out of context.

Kim473
02-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Anyways, back on topic. Last year there was probly about 50 trucks and cars at silver sands. This year not so many as its gonna be a lot colder . Last year about was about 0 degrees and not much wind, this year about -8 wind? Too cold for me, even with a tent LOL. Just staying home. The perch should be biteing good this weekend tho. Isle is getting to much fishing pressure now that Wabamun is C&R. I think they should lower the limits there untill Wab reopens to C&K. One pike and 5 or 10 perch. F&W will ruin this lake as well. I wonder how many non regular fishing folk poach on the holiday? (keep walleye) from there, or any other lake.
Just my opinion. I know, not worth 2 cents.

WayneChristie
02-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Have to work Saturday and Monday so I wont see many people anyways. Sunday I have lots of choices and I bet I can find 3 or 4 lakes with no othere people anyways. I hope a lot of new to fishing people do get out and enjoy it, just not too much :bad_boys_20:

deanmc
02-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Well its -35 here this am so methinks Carson should not be too bad.

Ken07AOVette
02-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I think I am going to grab my smallest rod and reel, and go set up at Mrleahy's place.....:sHa_shakeshout:

deanmc
02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
-22 and very sunny now. Would not be bad in a tent now.