PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam 2011

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 04:24 PM
okay gotz a idea

one last getogether in Southern alberta.
if some one from Northern Alberta wants to put on a similar event....i'd like to see a Alberta championship next season in a central alberta lake. Peeps in central alberta have the luxury of fishing for the Team of their choice.

hows everyone feel about a Team Fish Off?

Heres my ideas

Total catch and release

Teams of 4, combined length of any species caught. All digital cameras must be cleared before event starts....all fish caught by a Team must be photo'd with a tape measure beside the entered fish....then Released

all fish are elligible to make it fair for everyone....if a good whitefish lake is picked im in deep deep deep doo doo..lol

I was thinking it might be fun if at the lake all participants names went in a hat and the teams were drawn that way...something to consider?

i will donate a trophy...maybe we can collect prizes but i think holding the trophy for 1 year means more..lol

do we need government permission?
side bets will make it FUNNER but if thats illegal...i never said that

any ideas?

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
should of titled this...FREE BEER to get more attention...lol

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2011, 04:50 PM
That sounds like a fine idea Chubb. If we are to host a derby, we will need the appropriate paperwork, should'nt be difficult to obtain with the talent we have available from the folks here on the board.

Any suggestions for dates?

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 04:55 PM
one of the first 2 weekends in march?

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
if there is no entry fee do we need Gov. approval?
if there is no prizes do we need Gov. approval?

npauls
02-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I am pretty sure if there is no entry fee or prizes handed out then it legally isn't a derby. It is just a bunch of guys/gals out fishing and taking pictures and measurements.

If there is prizes and entry fees I have heard that if it is under a certain number of people then it isn't considered a derby either. Somewhere around 20 or less I think it was.

I would be down for something like this and I may know a few others that would be also.

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
NO entry fee
i would like a trophy as a prize though if possible
maybe the top Teams from each region playoff for a Bigger Trophy
also be a good chance for some of the folks in the need a ride thread to get out

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
I'll build the trophy :evilgrin:

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 05:32 PM
I'll build the trophy :evilgrin:

that sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ADAM gets free jerky if he attends

the local angler
02-18-2011, 05:34 PM
sounds like a great idea and i would be interested also but worry because my schedule is all over the place right now. but i hope i have enought time to know the exact date and try to book it off.

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 05:37 PM
any ideas how to pick a lake?
dart and a map?

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2011, 05:40 PM
We had an AOF gathering at Gull last year, and it was awesome. It also accomodates the Northern and Southern members quite well.

The fishing ain't bad either...

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
We had an AOF gathering at Gull last year, and it was awesome. It also accomodates the Northern and Southern members quite well.

The fishing ain't bad either...

now your thinking......no playoffs....just get it on.
Oiler fans dont like the play-offs anyway.....joking:sHa_shakeshout:

i gotta practice catching whitefish this week-end

rielbowhunter
02-18-2011, 05:46 PM
ok sounds good, we just need a date and lake,

gprime27
02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I'll get my lethbridge boys together and come up! :)

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 05:51 PM
ok sounds good, we just need a date and lake,

K Bill i nominate YOU.....pick one of 2 first week-ends in March....and we live with it and move on in the planning

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
i'll get my lethbridge boys together and come up! :)

team brookie assasins

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
There will likely be a couple of popular derbies the first weekend in March such as CVR. Not sure what there is in the North. You might get more participation if it's the second weekend. Also many lakes close on March 15 or 31. People might consider this event as one last kick at the can on hardwater for the year.

I don't think you need a license or anything of that sort if there's no entry fee and it's just a group getting together like any other gathering.

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
There will likely be a couple of popular derbies the first weekend in March such as CVR. Not sure what there is in the North. You might get more participation if it's the second weekend. Also many lakes close on March 15 or 31. People might consider this event as one last kick at the can on hardwater for the year.

I don't think you need a license or anything of that sort if there's no entry fee and it's just a group getting together like any other gathering.

done MARCH 12TH is the DAY!!!!!!!......thanks t-runner

gprime27
02-18-2011, 06:34 PM
team brookie assasins

Not true, we catch plenty of other things to :)

MoFugger21
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
done MARCH 12TH is the DAY!!!!!!!......thanks t-runner

If you're gonna do it at a lake in PP2, where lots of lakes are open until Mar 31st, why not do it AFTER all the lakes down here close (Mar 15)??

*** As a disclaimer I should say that I may not make it even if the date is after Mar 15, just more of a question than anything***

gl2
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I think this is a great idea and would be in for sure!!! Buy why drop the names into a hat and split peps up? If a guy got some of those cheap measurement boards from the fishin hole, write the date on it in the morning, or some other distinguishing mark then a pic with the fish on the board would be needed to count a fish. Then we could meet up for beers afterwards so you could give me the trophy!! Hahahahahaha

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
If you're gonna do it at a lake in PP2, where lots of lakes are open until Mar 31st, why not do it AFTER all the lakes down here close (Mar 15)??

*** As a disclaimer I should say that I may not make it even if the date is after Mar 15, just more of a question than anything***

good point...but the fisherman guy wants a single day event in a central lake....and dont those lakes that stay open then have a bait ban?

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 07:15 PM
I think this is a great idea and would be in for sure!!! Buy why drop the names into a hat and split peps up? If a guy got some of those cheap measurement boards from the fishin hole, write the date on it in the morning, or some other distinguishing mark then a pic with the fish on the board would be needed to count a fish. Then we could meet up for beers afterwards so you could give me the trophy!! Hahahahahaha

Because i think it will be hillarious to not know your team...survivor style..lol
Everyone has a tape measure...i dont want people spending money if its not necessary

but the beers is good point....a after supper would be full of chits and giggles

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 07:19 PM
okay i do see problem with drawing names...what if we have a attendance that cant be divided by 4?
maybe best Teams are drafted in private?

rielbowhunter
02-18-2011, 07:32 PM
theres alway problems , put who cares , so do we have a lake yet? we could vote on it maybe.

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
That'll work for me.

March 12, it's booked in. FISH ON.

As for a license:

Taken from: http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/LicensingFees/LicensingCompetitive.aspx

Licensing for Competitive Fishing Events

Licenses & Fees

A competitive fishing event is a competition involving 26 or more anglers where prizes are awarded based on fishing success — for example, on the size or weight of fish caught. The three categories of competitive fishing event — small, medium and large — are defined by their total prize values and number of participants.

Competitive fishing events often raise funds for important causes, and as anyone who has ever participated in one can tell you, they're also a lot of fun. But there is some potential downside to competitive fishing events, as the increased angling pressures associated with them can have significant impacts on fish populations.

Q3: A: What is a non-competitive fishing event?
A non-competitive fishing event is any event where people participate in sport-fish angling for one or more consecutive days, at a specified lake or river. These events have 26 or more participants with prizes awarded for participation or random draw, not on the basis of a fishing competition. Participants may not receive prizes or gifts totaling more than $100. There is no application or license, though organizers are encouraged to voluntarily register the event with Sustainable Resource Development (SRD) beforehand and provide SRD with a summary report after the event.

In other words, we do not require a license if we abide by the rules set forth. We can gather the collected information of fish caught and submit it to SRD as a charitable contribution. I will create a summary report for SRD if we consolidate accurate results for submittal.

gl2
02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
theres alway problems , put who cares , so do we have a lake yet? we could vote on it maybe.

A vote is a great idea!!!

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 07:51 PM
so if the trophy you make is less than hundy we are gold!!!
good work fisherman guy...thank you

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM

nobody has a better idea....lets vote....thanks rbh

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
If the date is picked March 12th and you guys want to suggest 3-5 choices for lakes maybe within 100km of Red Deer? I can set up a poll where each member gets only 1 vote. I fish S of Calgary so you can probably suggest a few lakes in PP2 or ES2. Or you can set up a poll. Just my opinion to please all. The majority rules and you don't have to name a species or have any details at this point.

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
If the date is picked March 12th and you guys want to suggest 3-5 choices for lakes maybe within 100km of Red Deer? I can set up a poll where each member gets only 1 vote. I fish S of Calgary so you can probably suggest a few lakes in PP2 or ES2. Or you can set up a poll. Just my opinion to please all. The majority rules and you don't have to name a species or have any details at this point.

thanks TR.....give-er i dont know how

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Pick some lakes and would leaving the voting open till Feb 28th give you guys enough time to plan it or would you want to know sooner?

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Pick some lakes and would leaving the voting open till Feb 28th give you guys enough time to plan it or would you want to know sooner?

gull....sylvan
yup cut it off on that date.....thank you

please people only who plan on attending vote only

The Fisherman Guy
02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
How about:

Gull, Pine, Burnstick, Sylvan, Pigeon or Dickson?

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
How about:

Gull, Pine, Burnstick, Sylvan, Pigeon or Dickson?

Chubb...???

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
i like lakes that have a resturaunt near by.

okay lets make it teams of 6 that way if a team has 2 cancelations they can do the dirty with 4 if needed handicapped. maybe pull off a miracle

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Chubb...???

i agree

gl2
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM

The lake does not matter to me. I am pretty sure it would be a blast either way. I also fish south of Calgary so I am pretty unsure about lakes near red deer. I think a lake near red deer, one near Calgary, and maybe one near lethbridge should be put on the list. Then in the voting the majority of the area wil get the upperhand and the larger number of people don't have to travel as far. My choice would be travers................

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Will get er dun

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:31 PM
The lake does not matter to me. I am pretty sure it would be a blast either way. I also fish south of Calgary so I am pretty unsure about lakes near red deer. I think a lake near red deer, one near Calgary, and maybe one near lethbridge should be put on the list. Then in the voting the majority of the area wil get the upperhand and the larger number of people don't have to travel as far. My choice would be travers................

it has to be a central lake so teams from the north can come if they want......teams from the red deer area are gonna kick our bums..lol

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Will get er dun

thanks TR appreciate it
fisherman guy thanks for the legal details

gl2
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
So is the derby gonna be any fish in that lake? Or is it gonna be one fish specific?

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:37 PM
So is the derby gonna be any fish in that lake? Or is it gonna be one fish specific?

read my first post
and its not a derby.....its a knitting party with a fishing catagory

AbProwler
02-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I'd be in for a central Lk., something less than about 3 hrs of driving from Edmonton area.

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd be in for a central Lk., something less than about 3 hrs of driving from Edmonton area.

nice hand pick your Team of 6.....lets do it

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Please refer to the following link to VOTE:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=83363

Also, any comments or ideas should now be moved to the "POLL Thread"

Thanks.

iliketrout
02-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Count me in, it sounds like a great time!

chubbdarter
02-18-2011, 09:08 PM
CLOSED....GO HERE

npauls
02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
now your thinking......no playoffs....just get it on.
Oiler fans dont like the play-offs anyway.....joking:sHa_shakeshout:

i gotta practice catching whitefish this week-end

Nah Darter there is no need for catching the whities out of there. There is some big enough eyes that we can make sure a whitie is no where near the top fish caught.

Duster
02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Well I'm definatly in!

tacklerunner
02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
CLOSED....GO HERE

bump