PDA

View Full Version : Ban On Steel Cased Surplus Ammo At Range Commonplace?

Gonehuntin'
02-18-2011, 08:11 PM
I was talking to one of the fellas that belongs to the same club as myself today, and it came up that the rule making board or group in our club had put up a list of shall nots.

Including banning the use of surplus steel cased ammunition at our range, and the banning of shotguns at the range (Outdoor).As well as offering the RCMP what amounts to a free full time "Group Membership" for the year based on their renting it for qualifications once per year.They, IMO should pay individually like everyone else, and show up on their own time, off duty, unless the detachment has rented the facility for a set date(s).

Those were the three that really jumped out at me, though it seemed there was a rule for everything else.

So....... are these things considered "normal" in other clubs? Apparently the club has a record number of members, but I can't help but think that it may alienate a certain segment.

1. Banning of surplus (steel cased ONLY)........ No not FMJ's.......steel cartridge cased.... specifically targeting the "Red Rifle" Milsurp crowd. Oh, OK, I'll say it, those guys with SKS's, 858's etc. As it was explained to me it's more about the noise (rapid fire) Albeit 5 at a time......Or the steel casings on the ground-along side the brass variety. I've picked up a lot of both types, plus a lot of used targets and trash, not just my own, and I know others do the same, though not everyone does, obviously.

Or is it doing what has always been done-by dividing and selling a certain segment of the shooting population down the river by the larger portion of the group, because it isn't "Their" thing. On the larger scale it's been done nationally for years, just ask any "black gun" fan.

And for the banning of shot guns, something to do with the original paperwork for the range. Even slug guns are apparently verboten.....sheesh.

So, is it just the Stettler club........or is it EVERYWHERE?

catnthehat
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Those rules are wrong on so many levels!!
Giving the RCMP Carte Blanche like our club did for years amounts to nothing but big costly bills, and shot up ranges!!
They are not even allowed in our indoor range anymore, and if it were civilians doing what they did they would be charged!!:mad0030:
As for banning steel cased ammo, what about the fellas that want to shoot it in bolt action 7.62X39's or their pistols - would it be okay THEN?
Basicly it sounds like someone is P'od at someone having fun - DEAL WITH IT!!
steel casings are easier to clean up anyway, with one of those wheeled magnets for nails - works great.
Ban shotguns??!!

what about trade guns, those are shotguns as well.
Worried about big slug holes?
What's next ban guns over 45cal? kinda sucks if you're shooting a big bore muzzle loader !
Better to try and regulate the rules to suit everybody and try to police the range better, that usually works better than making rules to ban a certain gun because someone doesn't like it.
BTW, I don't own a red rifle, or a black rifle, and the only semi I have is my dead father's 1100 trap gun.
Cat

Gonehuntin'
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
It kinda blew my mind, hearing of this. I haven't read the full rule sheet, it wasn't posted when I was last out there., but talking to this guy about it, he was arguing against a lot of this, but apparently it's officially the way it is. Smells like cheet to me though.

Funny, because I was out Saturday (last) with some steel cased ammo and an SKS, (prior to hearing of changes) having a great old time, and NO part of my anatomy instantly fell off from it. Nor did it cause anyone else any grief, that i know of. And those magnetic casing picker uppers are great, standard equipment.

Also the fact that good outdoor range facilities are getting scarcer and scarcer in Central Ab........

catnthehat
02-18-2011, 09:20 PM
It kinda blew my mind, hearing of this. I haven't read the full rule sheet, it wasn't posted when I was last out there., but talking to this guy about it, he was arguing against a lot of this, but apparently it's officially the way it is. Smells like cheet to me though.

Funny, because I was out Saturday (last) with some steel cased ammo and an SKS, (prior to hearing of changes) having a great old time, and NO part of my anatomy instantly fell off from it. Nor did it cause anyone else any grief, that i know of. And those magnetic casing picker uppers are great, standard equipment.

Also the fact that good outdoor range facilities are getting scarcer and scarcer in Central Ab........

Sounds like your executive needs a change , probably two or three guys making all the rules to suit them!:scared0015:
Cat

Rockymtnx
02-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Now that just seems stupid.......

What is the reason behind surplus ammo?
Even the reason behind shotguns?

catnthehat
02-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Rocky, usually it's not the particular ammo or fire arm, but narrow minded individuals that do not like whatever it is that is not allowed!:mad0100:
Cat

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
02-18-2011, 11:08 PM
same kind of idiocy happened at my club also

I had to quit

I just can't stand it when a group espouses cooperation, but then makes rules that don't BENEFIT them but HURT other diciplines.

I just found I was wasting my money

ishootbambi
02-18-2011, 11:18 PM
there are always a couple of guys in ANY group who beed to snivel about something. if legit topics cannot be found they will create them.

Gonehuntin'
02-19-2011, 06:45 AM
No legit reason that I can see for banning either shotgun usage or surplus ammo, other than, as suggested by others, two or three in the executive group deciding that it is now forbidden, due to personal prejudices. It's nonsensical. Shooters screwing over shooters.

Trav
02-19-2011, 07:02 AM
No legit reason that I can see for banning either shotgun usage or surplus ammo, other than, as suggested by others, two or three in the executive group deciding that it is now forbidden, due to personal prejudices. It's nonsensical. Shooters screwing over shooters.

Easiest way to get it changed back to the way it was before it to get a bunch of buddies to show up at a meeting that are members and vote it back in, If it has not been put through the meetings and recorded in the minutes they cannot do it. They(executive) must have the support of the club members to pass any new rules they need majority vote.

Just because two or three say they dont like it dont mean that it cannot be stopped and made proper.

Dick284
02-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Easiest way to get it changed back to the way it was before it to get a bunch of buddies to show up at a meeting that are members and vote it back in, If it has not been put through the meetings and recorded in the minutes they cannot do it. They(executive) must have the support of the club members to pass any new rules they need majority vote.Just because two or three say they dont like it dont mean that it cannot be stopped and made proper.

You better have a look at the club bylaws and constitution.

Some clubs have within their bylaws a provision for the Executive to enact rules as needed.

Having had to clean up after the SKS crowd (and yes I own one) and fix up shredded back boards from the hip shooting shotty crowd, I can see the motivation for such a ban. I'm thinking the Executive response is a tad over the top.

tchardy1972
02-19-2011, 08:45 AM
I thought I was reading about my range when i first opened this thread. I do know they wanted to ban sks rifles for the reason that some guys thought that it was ok to shoot the sh#@ out of everything that they were not susposed to for eg our shed, signs, C-can things like that. The rule at our range is clean up your brass but shoot 500 out of an sks and they don't get picked up. It basically comes down to a couple of people ruin it for everyone else. The rcmp thing was also tried at our range and quickly found that it didn't work.

bagwan
02-19-2011, 09:49 AM
The Stettler range thats mentioned in this thread is having problems from local residents who want it closed. Some of the houses are about 300 yds away and were actually built when the range was already located where it is. I cannot comment on the rules but some of them MAY have to do with the
ongoing war to keep it open. From what I see all these members better get on the same page or no one will be using it. Recent articles in the Stettler paper brought it to my attention about the attempts to close it. The range is in the County adjacent to the town and I don't know if the complainers are County or Town residents. Maybe if the OP knows, he can clarify.

260 Rem
02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
SPFGA Range SE of Edmonton
*All Law Enforcement groups are required to pay...and have the express authorization of the Executive (contract). These arrangements are made with individual RCMP Detachments, RCMP ERT and EPS Tactical and Patrol. When shooting on Ranges when regular members are present, LE is required to follow Club rules and "take turns" etc. They are able to make Exclusive Use arrangements where they can do exercises forward of the firing line as long as regular members can be accomodated on other Ranges.
*No ban on steel cases, but it does get discussed every spring when the brass that is left forward of the Firing Line has to be picked out of the grass. However, users steel cases draw more attention to themselves when they fail to pick up cases on the concrete where it can be a safety issue. If steel case shooters are concerned, all they need to do is pick up their cases and for the most part, they will go un-noticed...and they will not need to worry about the imposition of any "ban". IMO every SKS user should be required to have a nail magnet with ther kit. They make picking those steel cases easy. And, if they used the nail magnet to clean up the area forward of the firing line (first thing in the spring) where cases accumulate in the snow over winter ...we may never talk about them!
*Shotguns using shot are prohibited on the Big Bore range where there is a "sight-in" board at 25M....beacuse if permitted, they chew the board apart which makes it unusable for other shooters. Need to use shot, they can go to the shotgun range and use the pattern board or clay thrower. Shotguns with slugs, can be used on the Big Bore Range, however. Slugs can not be used on the Shotgun range because they blow holes in the steel pattern board..or dents, which could direct shot back towards the firing line.

IN MOST CASES, THE EVOLUTION OF RULES IS A RESPONSE TO IDIOTS. I believe, if we had fewer idiots, we would have fewer rules. Trouble is, it is difficult to sort out "stupid" when selling Range memberships.

Gonehuntin'
02-19-2011, 09:03 PM
The Stettler range thats mentioned in this thread is having problems from local residents who want it closed. Some of the houses are about 300 yds away and were actually built when the range was already located where it is. I cannot comment on the rules but some of them MAY have to do with the
ongoing war to keep it open. From what I see all these members better get on the same page or no one will be using it. Recent articles in the Stettler paper brought it to my attention about the attempts to close it. The range is in the County adjacent to the town and I don't know if the complainers are County or Town residents. Maybe if the OP knows, he can clarify.

When you're right your right. There is some pressure to close it. From one person in particular, who built a house 300M from the range, causing it to reverse direction of fire. Which is fine. The range was there long before the property was developed. I believe that there are some noise complaints. About a range......when you built beside it....... right.It's been in operation a long time.
The Silhouette Range at Donalda just closed, one good one down. One left..

I don't really see how "getting on the same page" is going to change much.I'd like to see people use and not abuse the facilities more,regardless of the changes in rules.Common courtesy goes a long way.Pressure to close it is not going away, but never waste an "emergency" to push through what you want done ....

HunterDave
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
As far as I know shotguns aren't allowed at the Genesee Range west of Edmonton that I belong to. Funny I see all of those hulls laying around when I go out though. I don't have a hard time with that rule because I figure that it wouldn't take long for targets to get blown to pieces.

I don't understand the logic behind banning steel cased ammo? If it's an issue of noise then why would free memberships go to the RCMP to add more people creating more noise on the range?

hillbillyreefer
02-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Where is the rifle/pistol range in Stettler? Is it out with the trap range west of town? If it is your club is going to lose. Your pretty much surrounded by development. Start looking for a new place soon.

Gonehuntin'
02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
3-4 miles South of Nevis.

sullijr
02-20-2011, 06:56 PM
QUOTE 'The Silhouette Range at Donalda just closed, one good one down. One left.. ''

Rumor has it that some BONEHEAD told the landowner who was swathing the canola to get the#$^%$ out of the way cause he wanted to shoot.

hillbillyreefer
02-20-2011, 11:46 PM
QUOTE 'The Silhouette Range at Donalda just closed, one good one down. One left.. ''

Rumor has it that some BONEHEAD told the landowner who was swathing the canola to get the#$^%$ out of the way cause he wanted to shoot.

That's going to cause problems every time! Someone needs a kick in the berries.

I didn't think it was by the trap range, you'd need some huge bems to be there. I did not know there was a range out by Nevis. Must be down on the river banks then? Good luck with your battle.

kodiakken
02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
The people that shoot the guns that utelize the steel cases should at the same time they buy their first case of ammo go to Princess Auto and buy a HUGE MAGNET and pick their sttel cases up and dispose of them.
This is the number one complaint of the two ranges that I have been a member at.
The no shotguns kind of got a big stir (from what I was told) when the one range around Edmonton was shutting down and all THE LEAD CONTAMINATION.
I find it a little hard to buy into that but it put a lot of scare into a lot of range exec's and landowners. Our land owner doesn't want any shotguns on the range so the exec's brought in a no shotgun policy.

Ken.

Gonehuntin'
02-21-2011, 06:35 PM

And I heard that it was some bonehead driving around on the seeded field crop. Instead of using the track that's there.