PDA

View Full Version : When is it to cold for the fish

sturgeon
02-19-2011, 12:40 PM
When is it to cold for fish when you want to release them. Have fished when it is -25 in the tent, but what about outside.

Rob S
02-19-2011, 12:44 PM
When is it to cold for fish when you want to release them. Have fished when it is -25 in the tent, but what about outside.

It's too cold out there right now for THIS fish :-)

moosehunter3-0
02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Fins and eyes freeze instantly in -20 or colder. Outside you pretty well have to leave the fish in the hole and try not to drop your pliers.

kinwahkly
02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
When its cold out like - 25 and colder i wont fish inles i have a shelter with some heat source, outside the holes freeze up to fast, line freezes way to fast and not a lot of fun.

Dust1n
02-19-2011, 02:00 PM
anything over -20 and colder will freeze fins and eyes almost instntly but when u got a windchill the holes and fish freeze faster.

KegRiver
02-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Simple answer, when hell freezes over.

It really is up to the individual. I have seen kids in Assumption fishing on a -40 day, and they were catching plenty. If you can stand the cold, the fish will be there.

If your catch freezing is a concern to you, then I would use the -20 or warmer already suggested. It sounds about right to me.

Or you could carry a bucket of water to keep them in. Add a half a cup of salt and it won't freeze for quiet a while and it'll keep your fish fresh and thawed out.

AbProwler
02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't know that the salt water would work really well for C/R. If I get the Op's meaning, it was in regards to the Fishes welfare.

tyee33
02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
-35 this mornin on the lake, a bit brisk but still doable.Im strictly C/R so if the fish has any chance of dying from the cold, I will wait another day. Cold Lake is in my back yard as are 20 or so other fantastic lakes. These are the days when I hit the "Honey Do" list and watch the tourists and hordes of people from out of town scramble