PDA

View Full Version : 260 / 260ai / 6.5x55

RUM
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I know, likely same old 308 vs 30-06 debate, but looking for some input on what to do with my 260. I am getting a new stock for it, so kicking around the idea of changing it up a little. First off, I've got mixed answers on if the 6.5x55 is even an option with a short action? Sounds like the bolt face is slightly larger aswell, is that going to be an issue? I will be shooting 120gn bullets out of the rifle, so I won't need to cram heavier bullets into the case. 260ai - minimal gains, call it a scratch for hunting applications, but I like things a little different, so Is it worth the extra work of fire-forming brass? Is it finicky working up a load compared to the standard 260?

Any cons in just putting a reamer into the existing barrel, or is a guy better served with a new pipe all together?

catnthehat
02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
If you have a short action, go with the AI if you want something a little different!:)
Cat

RUM
02-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Cat, I figured if it didn't fit the short action you'd say sell it and get a 6.5x55! I haven't ever fire formed brass, seems straight forward, but any issues with it to watch out for?

catnthehat
02-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Cat, I figured if it didn't fit the short action you'd say sell it and get a 6.5x55! I haven't ever fire formed brass, seems straight forward, but any issues with it to watch out for?

I didn't want to seem all biased !
Actually MY prference would be to sell it and buy a single shot Ruger!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
No issues with fire forming , I prefer to use a fairly stiff load as opposed to a very light load and filler, however......
Cat

elkhunter11
02-19-2011, 04:46 PM
If it shoots good as a 260rem,I wouldn't mess with it.

RUM
02-19-2011, 05:06 PM
If it shoots good as a 260rem,I wouldn't mess with it.

Yep... The lady friend would be some upset if I messed up "her" rifle! While I'm waiting for the stock to arrive, I'll be trying to tune up some loads for it and I guess that'll certainly impact the decision. Didn't have time before season, so have only tried a few factory offerings out of it that she used this past fall. Actually seemed to digest Federal Fusions fairly well all in all.

boomstick
02-19-2011, 05:23 PM
so rum and catnthehat,i was thinking of buying a 260 in a savage 16fcss for my daughter to start shooting with, i like the ballistics and all but how do u find that one rum

260 Rem
02-19-2011, 05:28 PM
I thought about a 260AI until I checked out the price of a good set of Redding Dies...and decided the extra couple of grains of powder I gould gain wasn't worth the cost or performance. Would burn out one barrel before the cost of the dies could be justified. There is enough room in most standard 308 boltfaces to fit the Swede, but you pretty much need a long action to start. Now that Lapua is making 260 Rem brass...another good reason to stick with the 260.

RUM
02-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Boomstick,

I just picked the rifle up late this past summer, so haven't had much opportunity to play around with it too much. That being said, I think it is a fantastic cartridge for a younger/new shooter. Recoil is very mild, and the 6.5mm bullet offers alot of options for hunting various critters here.

260, I am waiting to here from Clay that my Lapua brass is in, should be down to a few weeks away now! I caught mumbles of dies running around the $225 mark for the ai, is that roughly where you had them at?

elkhunter11
02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
260, I am waiting to here from Clay that my Lapua brass is in, should be down to a few weeks away now!

If you are referring to 260 Lapua brass,it is likely going to be a few months away, according to Peter from Hirsch Precision.

RUM
02-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Not sure Elk, spoke with Clay a couple weeks ago and he seemed to think it was about 50-60 days away. Either way though, in the meantime I have some Nosler to play with when I get the time. Seem to recall you having good results with that in your 280ai's?

spurly
02-19-2011, 06:34 PM
I just picked up a set of Redding dies from sinclairs for under $100.They are not bushing dies, but will work just fine.

260 Rem
02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
RUM--if I recal correctly, I was quoted in excess of $400.00 for the Redding Type "S" Neck die set from a well known Calgary supplier. I just ordered a 30BR Type S Full Length die set (which is 2 piece as opposed to three) from Sinclair which came to just under $300.00 shipped.
I have 260 Lapua brass on order through Peter (Hirsch) and understand it to be a month or two away. I tried Nosler in my 260 but it is very soft and when the loads get towards hot, the primer pockets get very loose. Once loose...no more use!

elkhunter11
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Not sure Elk, spoke with Clay a couple weeks ago and he seemed to think it was about 50-60 days away. Either way though, in the meantime I have some Nosler to play with when I get the time. Seem to recall you having good results with that in your 280ai's?

Clay offers great service,but if he has a fault, it is that he is very optimistic when he quotes delivery times for products.A couple of weeks, usually turns into a month or more.When I talked to Peter at Hirsch, he told me that he expected the 260brass by May.

The Nosler brass is well made,and the tolerances are close, but it is slightly on the soft side.I find that I need to back off a bit to get reasonable brass life.

boomstick
02-19-2011, 07:37 PM
ya see that the thing RUM thats y i think i like it , coyotes to moose ,i think it will be a good choice for her.