PDA

View Full Version : Tents again: Clam Expedition revised review / Eskimo QuickFish 3

Geezle
02-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Well, I wrote up a review about the Clam Expedition tent a little while ago and it was pretty positive, however I think I need to retract that review. I loved the design and features of the tent, however the quality just wasn't there. After returning two of them for various issues I took my 3rd one back on Friday and got my money back. I was having issues with the aluminum hubs breaking, and seams coming apart. Very disappointing on an item that I really liked otherwise.

I wanted a new tent so I could get out Saturday so I ended up just grabbing an Eskimo QuickFish 3 from TFH on my way home that night. It was a little more than I really wanted to spend, but I really wanted a tent for Sat and I really wanted something that was going to last me, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday and so far so good. The extra floor space is definitely nice when you've got two people in there, and in a larger tent like this the second door that the Clam had isn't as important as there's more room to move and get to the door. At first the zipper seemed kind of sticky at the bottom, but by the end of the day it was fine, so I figure it just needed a little breaking in. Can't say I'm a big fan of the bag that it came with though...it's more of a stuff-sack style with a drawstring on top, as opposed to a zipper along the length of the bag. A little tougher to get it packed away, but I guess at least there isn't a zipper on the bag to break?

Overall so far I'm happy with the Eskimo but time will tell as to whether or not it'll hold up to the constant use I put my fishing stuff through :)

Jimboy
02-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Well, I wrote up a review about the Clam Expedition tent a little while ago and it was pretty positive, however I think I need to retract that review. I loved the design and features of the tent, however the quality just wasn't there. After returning two of them for various issues I took my 3rd one back on Friday and got my money back. I was having issues with the aluminum hubs breaking, and seams coming apart. Very disappointing on an item that I really liked otherwise.

I wanted a new tent so I could get out Saturday so I ended up just grabbing an Eskimo QuickFish 3 from TFH on my way home that night. It was a little more than I really wanted to spend, but I really wanted a tent for Sat and I really wanted something that was going to last me, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday and so far so good. The extra floor space is definitely nice when you've got two people in there, and in a larger tent like this the second door that the Clam had isn't as important as there's more room to move and get to the door. At first the zipper seemed kind of sticky at the bottom, but by the end of the day it was fine, so I figure it just needed a little breaking in. Can't say I'm a big fan of the bag that it came with though...it's more of a stuff-sack style with a drawstring on top, as opposed to a zipper along the length of the bag. A little tougher to get it packed away, but I guess at least there isn't a zipper on the bag to break?

Overall so far I'm happy with the Eskimo but time will tell as to whether or not it'll hold up to the constant use I put my fishing stuff through :)

l bought the Eskimo quickfish3 also , got the package deal with 2 chairs and a huge sled for $314 at fh, excellent tent , the only con is that the velcro on the door is in the wrong place should have been more centred , easy fix tho , got some velcro from fannys fabric and glued it on the centre of the door now it dont flap in the wind , also the thin nylon tie downs might be an issue in the wind , but are supposed to be super strong , set up real easy and take down if you go the right sequence left to right.
But l,ll tel you what , if you have any issues , Natalia at Eskimo will replace any part of their products within a week , the best service and people out there , heres her addy, ndelmonte@ardisam.com for future inquires

Guitarplayingfish
02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I think the quickfish is great. I like bag it comes in too, I just throw it on like a backpack and still have 2 free hands to carry auger and equipment. Only thing I don't like about it is how hard it is to set up by yourself. 2 people is a cinch, but 1 by yourself it gets tricky.. Especially if its windy. Overall though, It's been a great shack for me.

buckmaster
02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey Jay i have the same tent and so far no problems.The only problem was the clear windows that crack in cold weather.

Geezle
02-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey Jay i have the same tent and so far no problems.The only problem was the clear windows that crack in cold weather.

That's not what I want to hear, but I'm not really surprised either...the material felt a lot stiffer than the windows on the Clam. At least they just Velcro in to place so you can replace them? :o

edit: at some point before the end of the hardwater season I need to get out with you and see what the whitefish are all about. I apologize but I just keep getting distracted by pike :lol: :shark:

Kokanee9
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I bought the same last week also.
It was a choice between the Frabil Outpost and the QFish3. It looked like both would do the job and were also the same size. I wanted the extra room like somebody above mentioned.
Haven't had it out yet, but I don't foresee any problems.

pikester
02-20-2011, 08:08 PM
I bought the QFish3 at the Sportsmans Show this winter (TFH had them on for $199 :) ), so far I have only used it a few times but I am impressed! Gonna take some getting used to anchoring it down every time I move since it only takes about a 15 Mph wind to start it moving but still liking it. Hopefully my opinion will be the same after a full season or two.

hunter11
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Has anybody bought the fish inn from costco the orange one i am thinking of getting one and was wondering if anybody has some thoughts on it. is the eskimo better?

Geezle
02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Has anybody bought the fish inn from costco the orange one i am thinking of getting one and was wondering if anybody has some thoughts on it. is the eskimo better?

Do a search...there's a couple threads on the Fish Inn.

Seems they've got a few design flaws...the windows break in cold weather, and the zippers are prone to breaking from what I've read. The skirt is on the short side as well.

WayneChristie
02-20-2011, 09:26 PM

6 man or 4 man? I had the 6 man, it was bad, the windows fall apart, the anchor loops freeze to the ice and tear off, the carrybag falls apart, the buckle on the strap to hold it together when its folded breaks very easy. took it back and got a refund.

pikester
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
6 man or 4 man? I had the 6 man, it was bad, the windows fall apart, the anchor loops freeze to the ice and tear off, the carrybag falls apart, the buckle on the strap to hold it together when its folded breaks very easy. took it back and got a refund.

Sucks you had to go through that, what are you "runnin' " for a tent now Wayne?

WayneChristie
02-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I bought a "4" man subzero, fits 2 nicely with lots of room. had a couple grommets come out but the straps are still good. the windows are good and sturdy, zippers are good with storm flaps, only gripe is the windows are too high for seated people to see out of, but most tents are the same. also have a 2 man HT magnum flipover on the way, rather excited to give that a try, lots of room and built in sled so it should be great. subzero is smelling rather fishy now :sHa_shakeshout:

James Henry
02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
In November I went to the Fishin Hole with cash in hand wanting the 'all in one' sled, seats and tent but the salesman talked me out of it do to weight. I ended up getting the quickfish3 and have never looked back. I have had absolutely no problems and can easily set it up myself without the aid of my 3 year old daughter. I would recommend it to anyone

Photoplex
02-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Friend bought the QuickFish3 at the CBSS a few weeks ago. Had it out on the ice a couple of times now, and it's an impressive tent.

We actually had a pole pop out of one of the hubs today - broken? Nah - managed to get it locked back into the hub in a few minutes after we figured out how it worked.

X2 on the door velcro - someone was stoned when they designed that bit.

Only real issue so far has been that the grey coating on the inside (the light block) is scratching off in a couple of places. There's a thread kicking around here somewhere where someone talks about some black rubberised paint you can buy to redo the inside. May dab some onto the little patches in the summer. Will also probably dab some onto the stitching holes that are letting little spots of light in too.

slingshotz
02-21-2011, 12:46 AM
I've used the Eskimo 3 for three seasons now and it has been great. I have the same complaints as above though, windows crack in very cold, stuff sack not easy to repack when very cold and poor placement of velcro for door. These are not deal breakers though as it's easy to buy replacement windows and I always let the tent dry out after a day out so it's no issue to not repack it. Good tip on the velcro, will have to try it.

The nylon tie downs for the tent are more than strong enough unless you are fishing in a torrando and the ice anchors are very good. Don't have any issue with the grey interior rubbing off, my interior is still very well sealed compared to the Fish Inn where the walls looks like a sieve.

I find it very easy to put it by myself but I've figured out a routine to first get the tent flat, put two anchors down on one side (the windy side) and then pop everything into place.

Photoplex
02-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Don't have any issue with the grey interior rubbing off, my interior is still very well sealed compared to the Fish Inn where the walls looks like a sieve.

Definitely not loads - just a few little scratches. By no means a deal breaker at all!

WayneChristie
02-21-2011, 07:25 AM
The thing to use to reseal the coating is called Plastidip works great just not cheap.
http://plastidip.com/

Photoplex
02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks Wayne!

goober
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Same boat as Wayne!! Used mine once and back it went!!

WayneChristie
02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Same boat as Wayne!! Used mine once and back it went!!

I notice they took off my review on their website and put up some positive reviews instead. :thinking-006: interesting

goober
02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I notice they took off my review on their website and put up some positive reviews instead. :thinking-006: interesting

Did you get your letter from them about the replacement windows that they would be mailing out?

WayneChristie
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Did you get your letter from them about the replacement windows that they would be mailing out?

wife did, she was the one who picked it up. anyone want to buy some replacement windows? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

goober
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
wife did, she was the one who picked it up. anyone want to buy some replacement windows? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I was thinking the same thing!! Wonder if they would work in other tents?

chubbdarter
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I bought a "4" man subzero, fits 2 nicely with lots of room. had a couple grommets come out but the straps are still good. the windows are good and sturdy, zippers are good with storm flaps, only gripe is the windows are too high for seated people to see out of, but most tents are the same. also have a 2 man HT magnum flipover on the way, rather excited to give that a try, lots of room and built in sled so it should be great. subzero is smelling rather fishy now :sHa_shakeshout:

had that HT tent......the chairs are the best chair ever for hole hopping