PDA

View Full Version : Browning Standard?????

Cabot
02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Good day everyone,

I would like to have some info about a rifle that is being given to me as a gift for favor rendered over a period of 6 years.

I do not have it in my possession as of yet as I just learned a few days ago about the deal. Will do the transfer this coming Monday.

I have seen the rifle once in the past when I visited the person. I just happened to see this rifle in mint condition in a cabinet, I handled it for a second and offered to buy it, but he wouldn't let me, so I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the stuff on it.

It's a Browning Standard in 7mm Rem Mag. It was bought in the early 70's and was used twice. It has 5 shots through it and he still has the original box of Remington ammo less 5 rounds.

It says on it '' Fabriqué en Belgique'' and has the FN(Fabrique Nationale) stamped also.

I did a bit of research on the net, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about this rifle out there, hence the reason I'm here.

If you need more, I will email my friend and ask him the details needed.

In the meantime, here are 2 pics he sent me.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/Royalistes/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/Royalistes/IMG_0001.jpg

For those of you who knows this rifle, your input would be welcomed.

Thanks for taking the time, it's well appreciated.

Cabot

wwbirds
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
looks like a Safari to me. Browning had many rifles and shotguns made by Fabrique national in Leige Belgium from the 1940's up until the 1970's.
they are stil affiliated through the international owner of Browning and Winchester so the Leige factory is still producing. In my view some of the FN rifles and shotguns were the best ever made.

Cabot
02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
wwbirds,

I did some more research on my own and you are absolutely right. It is a Safari.

I did a serial number search and found out what year it was built. SN 4L******; the ''4'' means it was built in 1964 and the ''L'' means Safari Grade. There is also some with short or long extractor, this one is a long extractor.

There is a few years where they had problems with this particular model as they cured the stock in salt. I think 1968 to 1970. Fortunately, this one is ok.

Thanks for taking the time, it steered be on the right path.

Cabot

wwbirds
02-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Glad to help. it wasn't only this model afected by the salt wood but many different models. As I recall they had a new model out called the Tbolt .22 and every one of them for a certain year was recalled. think it was late 60's or early 70's