PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at Lesser Slave Recently?

Jwood 456
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi, I am planning on heading out to Lesser Slave tommorow. I was wondering if anyone could give me input on how the walleye fishing at Lesser Slave has been around Jousard this week. Thanks in advance.

MasterBaitor
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM
I was wondering if you could drive out? Or still need the sled?

goober
02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Driving out is not an issue at all.

bardfromedson
02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
just got back from wide water. fishing was bad. not one legal walleye. a couple of whites and a ling.

Stuarty
02-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Was out at Canyon Creek yesterday. 5 Walleye, 5 Burbot at a couple of pike. Lots of missed bites as they were just mouthing the bait, really gentle takes. Easy drive on as nearly no snow. Very enjoyable day.

Marlin07
02-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Heading up on Friday, any advice on what to use? We will be going to the widewater/canyon creek area.

bardfromedson
02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
you guys should pull the shack to canyon. there is next to no snow on the lake.

Stuarty
02-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Most successful green/black/red leadhead tipped with a minnow. Also a glow leadhead with minnow. Fishing tight to the bottom at about 55-60 feet. Pretty much dead sticking and as I said, really light bites so hook-set is a bit of a lottery. Great fun though. Worth drilling lots of holes and moving between them, as most bites occurred within 30 secs of a hole change. Good luck.

Daceminnow
02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Most successful green/black/red leadhead tipped with a minnow. Also a glow leadhead with minnow. Fishing tight to the bottom at about 55-60 feet. Pretty much dead sticking and as I said, really light bites so hook-set is a bit of a lottery. Great fun though. Worth drilling lots of holes and moving between them, as most bites occurred within 30 secs of a hole change. Good luck.

55-60 feet. what the?

nicemustang
02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
3 weeks until my weekend trip to slave...can't wait!

Stuarty
02-22-2011, 09:54 PM
55-60 feet. what the?

I know, shocker! We worked our way out from 30 feet and nothing till 55 feet. To be fair, we normally catch them at the foot of the drop off at this time of year.

nicemustang
02-22-2011, 09:56 PM
55-60 feet for walleye? DUDE that ain't cool. Yeah some bites yes, but survival rate of walleye pulled from those depths are very LOW, in fact close to 0 i'd bet.

Stuarty
02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
55-60 feet for walleye? DUDE that ain't cool. Yeah some bites yes, but survival rate of walleye pulled from those depths are very LOW, in fact close to 0 i'd bet.

Fair point. Burbut and pike seem none the worse for it, but if you bring up the walleye on the express elevator then they are toast. We fish light and take it easy on the fish, also concentrate on Burbs (jigging rather than dead sticking) when we have our limit of eyes. Slowly retrieved eyes go back in quite well though.

nicemustang
02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
OK, well be careful out there. I don't like fishing that deep for anything other than trout. Walleye can't burp air...so no matter how "slow" they are brought up, theres bound to be some that don't make it.

Daceminnow
02-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Fair point. Burbut and pike seem none the worse for it, but if you bring up the walleye on the express elevator then they are toast. We fish light and take it easy on the fish, also concentrate on Burbs (jigging rather than dead sticking) when we have our limit of eyes. Slowly retrieved eyes go back in quite well though.

really boys there is no reason to be fishing that deep @ slave. the lake has a ton a fish holding structure in a lot less water. nursing fish up from that deep also takes way more time, time better spent catching more fish in shallower waters. if you need some ideas on good winter areas let me know. looks like you're from the westlock area so you're probably more familiar with the lake then i am.

MasterBaitor
02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

crown royal 17
02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
I know I say this quite a lot but may I suggest Assineau it is a few more minutes west and you fish in 25' of water as the other dude said if don't bring them up the express elevator the walleye are fine.The fishing is alot better there.

trouter
02-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Headed out tommorow as i am in town for a meeting. Widewater looks best for walking out for me so thats where ill be in my bright orange HH suit. If any ones headed there please stop by as i could use a hand with my power auger (mangled hand splitting wood last weekend )

Stuarty
02-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I know I say this quite a lot but may I suggest Assineau it is a few more minutes west and you fish in 25' of water as the other dude said if don't bring them up the express elevator the walleye are fine.The fishing is alot better there.

Thanks for the tip, 25' sounds lots better than 60'.