PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Ranges

fallen1817
02-20-2011, 01:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

I FINALLY got my PAL in the mail the other day, and with my birthday just around the corner, I've been dropping hints to my girlfriend about buying me a rifle for my birthday. My question is this: Where can a guy shoot around edmonton? Looking for out to two hundred yards or so. 100 is good, as I'm fairly inexperienced, but if I am going to buy a membership I want it to be a long term thing. I know there are a few ranges within two hours, but if those are the closest, I will make the drive out to donalda and just shoot on my cousin's land.

Looking forward to buyin a rifle so I can get sighted in for Deer Season and Coyotes! Happy to hear any feedback.

Cheers,

-Jeff

HunterDave
02-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Congrats Jeff! :sHa_shakeshout:

There's a sticky on the top of the "Guns and Ammo" discussion thread with a list of ranges but the two that I know offhand are the Sherwood Park one and The Genessee Range west of Spruce Grove run by CHAS. There should be links on the Ranges sticky thread.

fallen1817
02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Sherwood park appears to be closer, and sounds like they have quite the setup out there. Anyone on here a member? Sure would like some feedback about it.

Also, sorry about the usless plundering for information. Should have looked harder... Duh.

Thanks!

HunterDave
02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I joined Genessee because I heard that it wasn't as busy as the Sherwood Park. Probably due to the locations of each. I've been on Genessee on weekdays during the summer and I was the only person on the range. :sHa_shakeshout:

fallen1817
02-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Hmm... That does sound pretty nice, to be the only one out there. I live in southeast edmonton, and can't seem to find the exact location of the Genessee range. Can you find coordinates and send em to me?

HunterDave
02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
You can probably find a quicker way using the back highways from where you are but...........If you head west on Hwy 16 and about 300 metres past the Hwy 43 overpass you turn left on Hwy 770. You head straight south and there's a bend in the road going southwest and cross a bridge over the river. I think it's the first right turn up the hill from the bridge. There are road signs visible at the turn anyway if you look. You head west on a range/county road and follow the signs. They give you a map and the combination for the gate lock when you join but that's the general area. CHAS runs the range and membership costs $100 this year.

HunterDave
02-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Hwy 627 west will take you right to Hwy 770 and then turn left. If the road is good it might be allot quicker.

blacknorthernjk
02-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Hmm... That does sound pretty nice, to be the only one out there. I live in southeast edmonton, and can't seem to find the exact location of the Genessee range. Can you find coordinates and send em to me?

Google map Genesee Alberta.
Then join CHAS to obtain your range pass and gate code, or accompany someone who has their membership as a guest.

Rod1960
02-21-2011, 01:22 AM
I joined Genessee because I heard that it wasn't as busy as the Sherwood Park. Probably due to the locations of each. I've been on Genessee on weekdays during the summer and I was the only person on the range. :sHa_shakeshout:

I've had the same experience at Sherwood Park on a few occasions.

mike780
02-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I've had the same experience at Sherwood Park on a few occasions.

yeah same here i have been to sherwood park range many of times and have been the only one there... once was even on a sunday.
i like sherwood park good range i think.
mike

HunterDave
02-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Just for the record guys, I'm not slagging the Sherwood Park Range, I heard that it was a great range to go to and I have a buddy that belongs to it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that I heard that sometimes it's pretty busy. :)

Precisionshooter
02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
I understand the Sherwood park benches are permanently and ""rigidly"" mounted to the concrete pad. Bravo! Properly anchored benches are hard to find. I think of the mentioned, Sherwood Park has the best system.

Rod1960
02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Just for the record guys, I'm not slagging the Sherwood Park Range, I heard that it was a great range to go to and I have a buddy that belongs to it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that I heard that sometimes it's pretty busy. :)

No doubt it can be busy too. My experience has been if you can't get on the range (rimfire, centerfire, pistol etc) you want immediately you can always find room on one of the others and wait for your first choice. I always take a couple/three firearms with me and have always found a range to get on to.

I understand the Sherwood park benches are permanently and ""rigidly"" mounted to the concrete pad. Bravo! Properly anchored benches are hard to find. I think of the mentioned, Sherwood Park has the best system.

Yes they are and the benches are concrete as well. The pistol range has a very sturdy wooden shelf on the firing line and behind you as well.

I just wish they would allow you to bring a guest.

bobalong
02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I have been shooting at the Sherwood Park range for the past couple of years. Range can get a bit busy on the weekends from about mid July on into September but I usually go early (you can not shoot until 8:00 am) and have never found it very busy. The range did quite a few upgrades last year and have more planned for this year as well. Weekdays are usually fine.There is currently a Bigbore range (max 300 yds), Bigbore overflow range (max 300 yds), Rimfire range, Handgun range, Shotgun range, Archery range, Blackpowder trail.Members only are allowed to shoot. There is a clubhouse and a few campsites (no services) on the property as well.

RIMFIRE RANGE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Hunting/IMG_3408.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Hunting/IMG_3413.jpg

BIGBORE OVERFLOW RANGE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Hunting/IMG_3415.jpg

BIGBORE RANGE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Hunting/IMG_3418.jpg

HANGUN RANGE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Hunting/IMG_3416.jpg

SHOTGUN RANGE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Hunting/IMG_3417.jpg

260 Rem
02-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Some great photos Bob...looks like they were shot during the winter of 2009 as the small wooden sheds on the Big Bore Overflow and Handgun Ranges were replaced by long sheds with concrete floors duting the simmer of 2010. The Big Bore Overflow Shed (64' long) has 8 concrete benches, and the Handgun Range Shed (40' long) has a solid wooden shelf. The Big Bore Overflow is open to shooters at any time (not just "overflow times" as the name suggests. Target boards on the Overflow are placed at 100/150/200M. Handgun target boards are set at 7/15/25M....one of the 7M boards and another one set at 5M are set to the end of the long shed to accomodate "draw and shoot".
The Big Bore range (third from last) has target boards at 25m for sight-in, and at 100/200/300M with both plywood target boards and metal gongs. Note the curtain system on the Big Bore Range..which has also been added to the Rimfire and Overflow ranges to control cease fire times.
The photo of the Big Bore is shot on the North end where there are about six wooden movable benches...there are about a dozen concrete benches to the south end (this shed is about 120' long. There are prone positions on all Ranges (except Handgun).

bobalong
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes these are old pics, just wanting to show the OP some pics of the range. Thanks for adding all the updates

HunterDave
02-22-2011, 12:57 AM
The range looks nice but I was wondering if you have targets set out farther than 300 yds or is 300 yds the farthest that you can shoot?

There was a problem last year at Genessee where someone was shooting the signs on the fence at 800 yds and now the club has to put in a berm at the end of the range. I guess that the 800yd range will need some work but the 500 yd range should still be fine. That's where I bang my gongs. :)

I sold a rifle to a nice fella today and he was telling me about a range up near Barrhead towards Thunder Lake. Has anyone heard of it?

260 Rem
02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
300M is the longest distance at SPFGA. Longer distances have been discussed but issues like cost, range orientation, and conservation easements make it unlikely that long range shooting will ever become a reality....where the existing Ranges are located. Unfortunate, but that is the reality.
The Club has no difficulty attracting members with the existing facilities, so as long as prospective members are aware of what is availible, there are no surprises. Some planning has been put into additional upgrades including improvements to the Shotgun Range, the development of the Archery Range, and improving the campsites to better accomodate the "rigs" people are pulling today. And yes, there are sites for tents.
No doubt, the facilities are attractive for a $90.00 annual membership which includes everything ...and anticipating even more growth...a motion was passed last fall to have the Executive look at management options including "capping" the membership.

Precisionshooter
02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
these days, people are just happy to find a range that is open! With population growth, ranges like Spruce Grove are at risk. Hopefully SG is looking at some longer range plans for a new modern (longer range with better layout) range and possibly shutting down the old girl...although I suspect reclamation costs are fairly high.

As long range shooting becomes more popular, we could really use a modern range which could handle 10- 15 shooters out to 1000yds. One that could handle 10 shooters (on solid benchest out to 600yds) would be great.

Precisionshooter
02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
300M is the longest distance at SPFGA.

How many shooters can shoot the 300M range at the same time?

Those benches really SP are slick! Congrats to the group that put them in. SG range looked at the idea but they wanted range flexibility which of course sacrificed extreme precision.

Once you have shot on a solid bench, really you don't want to shoot off of anything else.

Thanks, joe

260 Rem
02-22-2011, 06:32 PM
How many shooters can shoot the 300M range at the same time?

Those benches really SP are slick! Congrats to the group that put them in. SG range looked at the idea but they wanted range flexibility which of course sacrificed extreme precision.

Once you have shot on a solid bench, really you don't want to shoot off of anything else.

Thanks, joe

I would have to look, but pretty sure there would be 6 concrete benches that would be OK for seeing the full 16' width of target boards @ 300M. In addition, there would be about 4 of the portable wooden benches plus a couple of open prone positions. The wooden benches can easily be pulled back or to the side to provide more prone positions if required.
Four more concrete benches are in the budget proposal for 2011. I expect that 3 of those will end up on the Big Bore Range to replace some of the portable wood models... and one will go to the Rimfire Range.
No doubt they are solid... the bench top alone weighs about 400 lbs.

Lefty-Canuck
11-30-2011, 10:43 PM
^^^^^^

What he said ???? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC

Erik
11-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Sherwood park is awesome and I have never seen it very busy. But the nice thing that has got me thinking about other ranges is the ability to purchase guest passes. I believe Genesee and Spruce Grove both have passes for guests for a small fee while supervised by a member (correct me if I am wrong).

260 Rem
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Just a "heads up" for prospective SPFGA members...the club has established a "cap" on numbers commencing 2012...so if you plan to join or renew... it might be a good idea to commit early. There are no "price breaks" for late purchasers. No guest passes as previously mentioned.

Big Racks
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Just a "heads up" for prospective SPFGA members...the club has established a "cap" on numbers commencing 2012...so if you plan to join or renew... it might be a good idea to commit early. There are no "price breaks" for late purchasers. No guest passes as previously mentioned.

Where are their memberships available to purchase? An idea if you can purchase now for the upcoming year?

HunterDave
12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I'll be joining CHAS to use the Genessee Range . Spruce Grove and Sherwood Park have good ranges as well.

http://www.chas.ab.ca/ranges

260 Rem
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Where are their memberships available to purchase? An idea if you can purchase now for the upcoming year?

Check the website for contact info www.spfga.org ...2012 memberships can be purchased now... $110.00 for a regular range...$150.00 for Family Range Membership......not sure when they will be available in the usaual places. PM me if you need a phone # for the Membership Chair.

seabass23
12-01-2011, 04:13 PM
I sold a rifle to a nice fella today and he was telling me about a range up near Barrhead towards Thunder Lake. Has anyone heard of it?

I'd also like to learn about this range. I camp at Thunder Lake at least once each summer. The entrance to the range is right next to the entrance to the campground. Haven't been able to find much info about it.

260 Rem
12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd also like to learn about this range. I camp at Thunder Lake at least once each summer. The entrance to the range is right next to the entrance to the campground. Haven't been able to find much info about it.
Not sure of the location, but Barrhead Fish & Game have a range....contact info is on their website... try google

HunterDave
12-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Not sure of the location, but Barrhead Fish & Game have a range....contact info is on their website... try google

http://www.abshooters.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=7&sobi2Id=58&Itemid=85