PDA

View Full Version : One more 6.5 thread

longshot270
02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
With all of the 6.5 threads lately it was good timing as I have been looking into these a bit. My question now is which would be better to get and why. I have looked into the 260 rem., 6.5 X 47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmore. Which is more practical, which has more advantages or disadvantages. Throw in your ideas on other 6.5's as well(260 AI,6.5 X55, etc.) Basically looking at a bolt action long range rig(paper for distance, maybe hunting). I always like to have something different, and thought the Lapua would work but then I found the creedmore.....So what is better. And no I couldn't afford both :snapoutofit:

S.C.W.
02-20-2011, 03:25 PM
6.5 x 284 !!

220swifty
02-20-2011, 03:33 PM
6.5-06 will give you all the performance of the 6.5-284, but you can build it on a standard -06 action without any mods to the mag box. You can also find brass to neck up for it almost anywhere (I use 25-06 winchester brass in mine)

A good smith can build you a rifle in this chambering that will be every bit as accurate at any -284 variation, especially if you are a casual target shooter and hunter, and not looking to break accuracy records.

6.5x47 lapua
02-20-2011, 05:30 PM
With all of the 6.5 threads lately it was good timing as I have been looking into these a bit. My question now is which would be better to get and why. I have looked into the 260 rem., 6.5 X 47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmore. Which is more practical, which has more advantages or disadvantages. Throw in your ideas on other 6.5's as well(260 AI,6.5 X55, etc.) Basically looking at a bolt action long range rig(paper for distance, maybe hunting). I always like to have something different, and thought the Lapua would work but then I found the creedmore.....So what is better. And no I couldn't afford both :snapoutofit:

the availability of good brass should be a concern in making your selection.you will also have to decide what length of action you want to build on also.any of the cart you have stated could be built hyper accurate.the creedmore was built specifically for ar platforms.the 6.5x47 has a small primer pocket which has some accuracy advantages and i think that particular case was well thought out for efficiency which leads to longer barrel life.cat and blackman would be the ones to talk to about this one as they just finished up some load developement on it with excellent success.

sullijr
02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
A savage FTR in 6.5-284 and spend the difference on the scope.Cat,Old Badger and I had 6.5-300wsm single shots made on 2 Brownings and mine on a Ruger#1 .They all shot very well but the fad has ended for me any how.For what you want to do a 7mm mag would probably suit your needs better

densa44
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
How well do you shoot? I bought my son, when he was 10yrs old, a $100 Carl Gustaf in Bently and with hand loads and a scope he could put 3 shots into a dime at 200M!

This is a great gun and you can still get one cheap. If you can shoot it will easily kill and Elk or Moose.

If you don't have time to practice, buy one of those Elephant guns and just miss the target cleanly!

blacktailslayer
02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Easy call for me, Lapua in a short action, the Swede in a long action.

catnthehat
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Easy call for me, Lapua in a short action, the Swede in a long action.

After owning and shooting ,or developing brass and loads for no less than 11, cartridges od 6.5 bullet diameter in either wildcat or factory , I feel that I can offer an unbiased opinion on the various 6.5's.
The one that gave me the most trouble because of brass, was the 6.5WSSM.
The one that was most fun?
Crap, you pick!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Of the bunch, the 6.5X55 has both factory ammo , and lots of brass availability.
It's not super fast like the 264 Win mag or the 6.5Bbadcat, but it can be made jut as accurate.
the 6.5X47 lapua can get into the 2,900FPS range where the match bullets work best without undo case problems, and good brass is available, but factory stuff isn't - however, it's a match cartridge first, and those that mess with it know this.
Just today two different shooters using the same rifle put 6 rounds into a nice group pf 1.5" at 385 meters using a 6.5X47 with a Ron smith barrel, that was with a sporter weight barrel as well!

the 260 is a great cartridge, you can get factory ammo , and brass is available, and for a lightweight hunter this one is the one IMO, if a person does not want to mess around too much.

The others?
Well, one that pulls at my heart is the 6.5Bbadcat, mainly because I was told that a single shot was a useless project for 1,000 yard stuff, and the WSM case was too big, not big enough, too thick, it was just too everything and not enough anything.
it has since proved itself in 1,000 yard competition,and in the field as well, as have the various single shot rifles it was chambered in.
However, it was not without its difficulties , as are most wildcats.

Now the 6.5SAUM is a mystery, simply because there are not a lot of them around. The case however, is just about right for a number of reasons, but the brass thing rears its ugly head again!:confused:

of the "obsolete" cartridges like the 6.5X54 MS, the 6.5X54R Finish, the the 6.5Carcano, etc., the Carcano is not the best simply because of the rifles it comes in.
The Vostock that Oldbadger owns in 6.5R Finish is a spectacular shooter however, even with the irons we were getting good accuracy at 600 yards .

I have shot and loaded for two Krag Jorgensons that were also very accurate considering the offset scope system they employed , and both took dear at 200meters + . This is a very mild round , BTW, but the Krag is not an overly strong action.

The 264 Win mag?
What else is there too say, hampered by the "barrel Burner" albatross, if loaded properly and shot properly as a hunting rifle it is a deadly thing to behold, but a I'm not a fan of belted magnums.

The 6.5X284? same thing, load and shoot it properly and it will last a long time and be a super killer, but don't hold your breath for a good supply of factory ammo!

The 6.5 bullet does not have to be pushed as fast as most think, around the 2,900 range for a 140 match bullet is what gives the best accuracy, and if you run it into the 3,000 range a 140 grain bullet will carry the mail WAY out there with lots of energy left to kill cleanly.

However, the bottom line is , for almost all shooting distances, in a 120, or a 140 the 260 Rem or the 6.5Xx55 will getrdun with no sweat, and they both will outlast the bigger cartridges as far as barrel life goes!:)

There, now that has been said i think I'm going to do up a 6.5BR Norma - just because!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Cat

260 Rem
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Can't speak to the Creedmore as have never had one, but some experience with both 260 Rem and the 6.5 X 47 Lapua. Have had 260's built on Rem 700 and TC Icon actions ..they are decent shooters and feed well from mags. Have built the Lapua on Rem 700 action, TC Icon action, and a Stiller action. Only the TC feeds without magazine tinkering...probably because it is a single stack. Accuracy wise, my Lapua's top the 260's, but that may change with Lapua brass soon to be avalible for the 260 Rem.
I wiould be surprised if Lapua brass will ever be made for the Creedmore.
In practical terms, there is very little difference between the three. The Lapua comes close (but does not match) 260 velocities...and to come close, it operates at higher pressures...but with the small primer pocket and strong brass, that does not seem to be an issue. Some theorize that large primers may be an advantage for use in really cold temps??
If you go with the 6.5 Lapua, watch the freebore to make sure you get optimum bullet seating in the case so you can maximize powder capacity.

longshot270
02-21-2011, 09:52 PM
How does recoil compare on any of these cartridges? I think if I go lighter recoil it will help my overall shooting. I have thought for years of getting a 308, but have heard great things now of the 6.5's with less recoil and better ballistics.

hardy
02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
One other thing to keep in mind with some of these new cartridges is the cost of dies. Competition dies from redding are in the hundreds! The 260 AI with lapua brass would be the most potent in a short action.

220swifty
02-21-2011, 11:05 PM
How does recoil compare on any of these cartridges? I think if I go lighter recoil it will help my overall shooting. I have thought for years of getting a 308, but have heard great things now of the 6.5's with less recoil and better ballistics.

If this is to be mainly a paper puncher, with a bit of open country hunting every once in a while, i am betting on a 10 lb rifle or more as the final product. If that is the case, any choice will recoil less than a sporter weight in 308.

My 6.5-06 is roughly 11 lbs and is very reasonable in the recoil departement. I have only shot 2 live targets with it, a coyote at 340 yds and a doe antelope at 345. I also printed a 6" group at 500 meters with it from the bipod. It is currently back at the smith to get it's final touches done (new bolt rather than the factory one and some metal finishing), but i intend to do much more range work and load development for it next summer. Before I took it back to the smith, I developed a hunting load comprised of the 129 gr Hornady SST going 3000 fps. This was giving me 1/4" groups with the factory bolt, I am excitedly scared to see how she shoot when I get her back. It will also be a bit prettier with a bead blast applied to the barrel, a fluted bolt body, and a matte blued action. It also will be scoped with a VX3 4.5-14 CDS leupold.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/220swifty/65-06.jpg

catnthehat
02-22-2011, 06:46 AM
the 6.5x47 has a small primer pocket which has some accuracy advantages and i think that particular case was well thought out for efficiency which leads to longer barrel life.cat and blackman would be the ones to talk to about this one as they just finished up some load developement on it with excellent success.

The 6.5X47 that CGW mentioned here , is a sporting rifle set up for long range coyotes , antelope, and deer.
All up I doubt if the rifle is 8.5lbs, but is a super accurate rig employing a 6.5/20X Mk4 Leupold on top of an older Sako action and stock.

This rifle was shooting very small groups at the 3 ranges we tried it at (100yd, 200yd ,and 385 meters) using 123 grain bullets and a velocity of right around 2,800 FPS. By bsmall I mean usually around .250"@100 to about 1.5" at 385 meters - this would include flyers as well the shots that went into the group "properly".:)
This was not the final load development , but the start of load development BTW, so this rifle is off to a roaring start in the accuracy department.
The 6.5X47 is a great round of little recoil, but not for a factory shooter, for sure, it's a hand load only proposition at this time.

Cat

longshot270
02-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I used to hand load lots back before the kids arrived and I always enjoyed it so to me that does not matter too much. I have moved a few times in the last couple years so don't have my stuff set up currently but it would be a good excuse to get back into it. I was leaning towards the 6.5 X 47 just to be different and plus all the good reviews, and then I read it has the smaller case size so less fps available. Then also found 6.5 creedmore and found it in some semi-custom rifles available. Looking at GA Precision or Surgeon rifles. Then when we talk scopes I have always liked nightforce, but am liking us optics more now. Now just need some more cash LOL. As crazy as this sounds I would like to buy one semi-custom and never regret buying it or need to buy another one. Yikes who ever wants to say that.!.

Deer Hunter
02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
My 6.5 is hard on brass... maybe loaded a bit too stiff too...
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/RonsCamera001-1.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/RonsCamera002-1.jpg

catnthehat
02-22-2011, 04:35 PM
My 6.5 is hard on brass... maybe loaded a bit too stiff too...
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/RonsCamera001-1.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/RonsCamera002-1.jpg
Looks like a big issue with chambers and pressures combined!:confused:
Cat

Deer Hunter
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Looks like a big issue with chambers and pressures combined!:confused:
Cat

Please elaborate on the big issue with the chambers part.

Loaded the brass too many times. My bad.
Loaded a bit too hot as noticed by the bolt stick and ejector mark. My bad again.

Thanks.

catnthehat
02-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Please elaborate on the big issue with the chambers part.

Loaded the brass too many times. My bad.
Loaded a bit too hot as noticed by the bolt stick and ejector mark. My bad again.

Thanks.
I wasn't suggesting that that was the exact problem, but I have seen case head separation on some factory guns that had chambers on the high side of SAAMI specs, and a hot charge.

My Anschutz .222 will go about 5 hot ones before a case lets go, but my buddy's CZ will not , it will separate a case in 2 shots of a hot load.
With my 6mmBR Ruger I never did see a case head separation, and that rifle like VERY high pressure rounds.
Cat

Deer Hunter
02-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I wasn't suggesting that that was the exact problem, but I have seen case head separation on some factory guns that had chambers on the high side of SAAMI specs, and a hot charge.

My Anschutz .222 will go about 5 hot ones before a case lets go, but my buddy's CZ will not , it will separate a case in 2 shots of a hot load.
With my 6mmBR Ruger I never did see a case head separation, and that rifle like VERY high pressure rounds.
Cat

Agreed. I have seen case heads separate in factory guns as well. Most likely due to brass overuse and not real high pressure chambers though. 2 shots to separate is bad though. How easy did the bolt open up after the first one?:confused:

Cheers.

catnthehat
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Agreed. I have seen case heads separate in factory guns as well. Most likely due to brass overuse and not real high pressure chambers though. 2 shots to separate is bad though. How easy did the bolt open up after the first one?:confused:

Cheers.
No problem at all, that's the crazy thing about pressure signs, they aren't ALWAYS reliable!!:budo:
Cat