PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys use...

prosnowsk8er
02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
what do you guys wear for boots to keep warm on the ice?

my feet were frozen today within 2 hours at spray

pickrel pat
02-20-2011, 03:17 PM
rye. standing up ... take a swig,..... gravity will take it right down to your toes! kidding... thermal and thinsulate!

huntsfurfish
02-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I have 3 different pairs:

Kamik pack boots (older leather uppers) cold weather

Kamik insulated rubber (for wet days)

Kamik snowmobile pack (cant remember the name) supposed to be good to
-100 or -120. Very warm. Use when its really cold out.

Lots of good boots out there though.

Gust
02-20-2011, 03:19 PM

I use a size larger than my foot and wear good socks, and under the liner I cut a big chunk of fluffy cushion stuffer (makes great nymphs too). When I put on my boots I make sure to put some talc in the boots to take off the sweat. My boots are cheap ones from Wally World, they say -70C but I'd say
-50 tops, very light and good waterproofing, I spray silicone them too.

Dukewild
02-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Rubber Dunlops ! Been using these boots upnorth in the patch for years. Theyre abit exspensive over your regualar boot. But when it comes to rubbers and a solid winter boot they have my vote.

grice
02-20-2011, 03:37 PM
COFRA THERMIC BOOTS. for this guy, no complaints out of me. a little on the expensive side as well.

prosnowsk8er
02-20-2011, 03:53 PM
hmmm, thanks for the input guys,
I checked those dunlops out last winter for work (industrial electrician)
but I wasnt sure how warm they would be with all that standing around I do, hahah, looking at those baffin's 2, :p

PERCHY
02-20-2011, 03:54 PM
for me its all about the socks. I have very good copper woven socks..the copper insulates the heat in your feet. i also heard pennies in the boot work well too.

Kim473
02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Bought a pair of winter work snow boots from walmart this year, have a rating of -95 c The best boot I ever had. Thinsulate gets my vote. $ 200 but worth every cent. Sales should be starting.

terny
02-20-2011, 03:59 PM
im an electrician and i use the dunlop rubbers at work, and there the only boots i consider fishing in, there only 180$ at marks, and most of the time u can get a discount threw trades and such......
I got a pair of 200$+ sorels that was given to me for my bday, and they claim to be good for like -60 or something, my feet were cold in 10 minutes in them on a -10 day.

the only thing i would say about the dunlops is buy them bigger then ur foot a bit like one person suggested and wear larger socks. I have size 13 feet which is probably why mine dont fit the greatest and by the end of 10 hours my feet are really sore. But that was the only down fall of them, have had them for 3 years now over 2000 hours in them and they held up in perfect condition, I also took the insoles out for more comfort, up to you though.

prosnowsk8er
02-20-2011, 04:52 PM
im an electrician and i use the dunlop rubbers at work, and there the only boots i consider fishing in, there only 180$ at marks, and most of the time u can get a discount threw trades and such......
I got a pair of 200$+ sorels that was given to me for my bday, and they claim to be good for like -60 or something, my feet were cold in 10 minutes in them on a -10 day.

the only thing i would say about the dunlops is buy them bigger then ur foot a bit like one person suggested and wear larger socks. I have size 13 feet which is probably why mine dont fit the greatest and by the end of 10 hours my feet are really sore. But that was the only down fall of them, have had them for 3 years now over 2000 hours in them and they held up in perfect condition, I also took the insoles out for more comfort, up to you though.

awesome, I'll be going to get a pair asap!
cheers, thanks

gl2
02-20-2011, 05:19 PM
I own a pair of Dunlops and they are very warm but if you ever went through the ice a pair of rubbers is not what I want on my feet. I wear a hunting boot (gore-Tex) lace up style and they are a really warm, waterproof boot. I also like that they are so lite I don't notice them all day.

Kokanee9
02-20-2011, 07:11 PM

We work outside all year round and 1 guy at work puts on regular socks and then a bag over each foot before putting on his boots. The inside of the boots stay dry that way. Might be worth trying.

harrydude
02-20-2011, 08:04 PM
We work outside all year round and 1 guy at work puts on regular socks and then a bag over each foot before putting on his boots. The inside of the boots stay dry that way. Might be worth trying.

that does work well but your foot sweats and will not breath.....

Dust1n
02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Ride Snow Baurd boots....keeps me warm all day

alacringa
02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Keep body core warm -- full Stanfield's; multiple layers; good boots, and, if al else fails, run a couple of circles around your holes every half hour...or, if you have a manual auger, like me, just drill another hole...usually gets the blood flowing pretty well.

Wolf Tracker
02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
wool socks!Always wear insulated rubber boots from peavy mart(costs about 40 bucks).Feet dont get wet and socks that I put on at the lake keep the feet warm!

Shmag
02-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Im also wearing the dunlop rubber boots, but with the bama socks(blue slippers) they sell at marks. Alot of times i pull my foot out and the bamas are wet, didnt even notice as they still keep your feet warm.

Dark Horn
02-20-2011, 10:38 PM
I also will use the Dunlop rubbers. In the colder temps I put the blue bama booties on and feet are always good. The dunlops do get very stiff in the cold though. For the most warmth I also like to wear my sorel glacier boot. Kinda bulky so alot of walking around can get to be cumbersome.

chubbdarter
02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
1000 gram irish setter thermolites from Red Wing
unreal light in wgt.
never cold feet...even when drilling splash makes them ice boots
great support for icy conditions..no turning ankles
lace up to trap heat...even laces are extreme tough, never replaced
mix of synthetic and leather never gets stiff and uncomfortable
water proof and tall design
soul design allows for a carbide slip on that doesnt move
going on 4th year and no problems.....this boot is worth the money
the best ive ever owned....bar none

gprime27
02-21-2011, 06:36 AM
if you don't have boots take a zip lock freezer bag put it in your shoes and put a couple pairs of socks on.. keeps the water off your feet.. works like a hot damn :)

bisonhunter
02-21-2011, 06:45 AM
bring a piece of rigid insulation like styrofoam sm and stand on it. it stops the thermal bridging from the ice. careful though it can be very brittle in the cold. good boots are of course essential also.

Wolverine Boy
02-21-2011, 07:12 AM
I have never worn the Dunlops so I can't comment on them but I have had a pair of Lacrosse 'Ice-Kings' for years now and I have never been cold in them.........fantastic boot!

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/ice-kingtm-400g-pac-boots-22163.html

They are heavy though and although I have hiked in them they are more suited for less strenuous activities like ice-fishing.

I see that they now have a few different versions of this boot available including a lighter one.

Alberta Bigbore
02-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Ask anyone thats gone fishing with me... I usually wear just running shoes.... But I have foam flooring in my tent and a heater going. Usually in sock feet once all settled in.:)

Penner
02-21-2011, 09:14 AM
You get what you pay for in foot wear. Stay away from the Wal-Mart / Canadian Tire specials. Look for a high quality boot with the thickest softest rubber sole you can find (you want as much distance from the ice to the bottom of your foot) Ensure they fit properly and are comfortable.

Gotta keep the moisture out and this is where socks become key. Change into proper socks and into your boots after you get to your destination (feet will sweat during the drive to in your vehicle). Apply a light dusting of foot powder and put on a good quality smart wool sock. One sock layer only.

The above will also apply to the rest of your body, don’t sweat and use multiple layers so that you can control your body temperature. Avoid all cotton clothing. When your body starts to become cool your body deflects blood flow to/from the extremities in order to keep the core warm. This is why your hands and feet get cold first.

The most overlooked component…the head. I wear a wind proof balaclava and then a good quality insulating toque on top of that.

Linehaul
02-21-2011, 10:39 AM
First year with these boots. Always had problems with cold feet until I got a pair of these Clam Ice Armor Boots. I use these boots with a pair of wool socks and can stand on the ice all day without getting cold feet.
5 layers of Thinsulate insulation
Full Grain Leather upper
EVA IceCushion midsole
Wateproof, breathable AquaPLUS membrane

usie33
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I own a pair of Dunlops and they are very warm but if you ever went through the ice a pair of rubbers is not what I want on my feet. I wear a hunting boot (gore-Tex) lace up style and they are a really warm, waterproof boot. I also like that they are so lite I don't notice them all day.

I use gore-tex hunting boots as well light and warm especially with a good pair of socks

KegRiver
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
For me there are two considerations to be taken into account first.
Wet or dry.

If there is a chance I might have to walk in water or wet snow, I would use either Skidoo boots. Any good brand would do. Or I would use my Dunlops.
I don't like the Dunlops, I find them difficult to walk in, the thick soles throw my balance off. But they are the ONLY rubber boots that I have ever found that don't freeze my feet in short order. I don't even wear wool socks with them, just dress socks are enough. Incredible boot.

If I am sure I won't encounter water on the surface, I wear Moose Hide Moccasins, bought from local craftsmen. With two pair of wool socks.
They keep my feet warmer then most footwear but their biggest advantage is their flexibility. Should my feet get cold, a short walk will warm them right up because there is so much muscle movement in you feet when you walk in moccasins.

Best hunting footwear ever made as well. Not just quiet. They are stealth footwear.

We used to buy slip on rubber boots that covered the bottom half of the moccasins and protected them from water, but I haven't seen those in years.

Maybe water proofing would work. I never tried it. It always seemed rather sacrilegious to me, and I think it would negate their breathing ability which is a plus. Breathing helps to keep feet dry.

Ken07AOVette
02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Cheap wore out sneakers and a wood floor with a good catalytic heater. If they get wet I will put on hiking boots, insulation in the sides is not as important to me as being off the snow/ice, so if I am in a tent I bring along a bar stool with a cross bar, keeping my feet off the snow.

Havent had cold feet yet. I do take along a dry set of baffins if I happen to get wet feet due to stepping in a hole after retrieving someone else's glasses that he dropped downhole. Guess who Geezle? :)

glen1971
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I use my winter work boots... Baffins good to -100... I change the liners every year, as they do get a wear spot in them, and for $45 for the liners and warm feet it is a small price to pay...
The insulation is a great plan too.. When I work outside and am standing in one place I use it, or a pallet.. So long as there is a thermal break to the ground your feet will be warmer..