PDA

View Full Version : Who has bought a Remington 700 VTR?

Elk Chaser
02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Curious as to any feedback concerning this latest addition to the Remington family.

Rockymtnx
02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
A friend of mine purchased one a little over a year ago in 22-250.
We can not get this thing to shoot.

We have tried every powder and bullet you can think of. There are no points of the stock touching the barrel. The scope, rings, and bases all remounted. Everything tourqued correctly.

Once and awile you will get it to put two bullets with in 1/4" of each other. Then for no reason the next bullet will be off by 3.5" This gun just does not shoot!

Anyone else experince what we have?

buckbrushoutdoors
02-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Try re-crowning it I know Remingtons crowns have always been iffy at best

tchardy1972
02-20-2011, 05:26 PM

We have tried every powder and bullet you can think of. There are no points of the stock touching the barrel. The scope, rings, and bases all remounted. Everything tourqued correctly.

Once and awile you will get it to put two bullets with in 1/4" of each other. Then for no reason the next bullet will be off by 3.5" This gun just does not shoot!

somtimes the mag well can be crushed by the bottom metal and the action. this mag box should be floating so it doesn't cause stress on the action. I would also check to see if both recoil lugs are contacting they should both have shiny spots.

ram crazy
02-20-2011, 05:38 PM

I'd try a different scope and if that didn't work then try and put tip pressure on the end of the stock to the barrel. Also bed the stock. One of my Remington's wasn't shooting very well and when I put some tip pressure on the barrel, it groups very good now!!!

Kev
02-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Mine's in 308 and shoots pretty decent. I don't believe the barrel is supposed to be free floated, there are raised points inside the stock that look like it's designed to contact the corners of the triangular barrel.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the molded-in cheekpiece, makes it difficult to put an adjustable cheek riser on for prone shooting.

surfer16_16
02-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I recently picked up one in 308. Just in the process of breaking it in and seeing which ammo it likes. So far I'm getting about 2" groups at 100 yds with Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and Hornady SST, both in 150 grain. It's been too cold to really work on the fine tuning so far. Will keep you posted once I dial it in.

deepfried
02-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I have mine in .308 and used it for the last 2 hunting seasons in Sask. It has 2 white tail registered kills and a few coyotes here in Alberta. I find mine shoots very good for hunting and have groups around an inch at the range. Quite enjoy mine !

Ryry4
02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
My wife bought me one .308 for Christmas a couple years ago. I like it, and from what I've seen at the range it seems to be shooting fine.

crawfy
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Just bought one in 22-250 and i have just topped it off with a scope now i need a little warm weather to go shoot the darn thing.

Rockymtnx
02-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Try re-crowning it I know Remingtons crowns have always been iffy at best
Being a cheapy Remington that could be the problem. I have never had this issue on any of my VSF, VSSF, or VSSFII that I have owned.
If the gun was mine I think I would be getting the crown re-cut.

I'd try a different scope and if that didn't work then try and put tip pressure on the end of the stock to the barrel. Also bed the stock. One of my Remington's wasn't shooting very well and when I put some tip pressure on the barrel, it groups very good now!!!
Yup the scope has been checked out. On a VTR the stock is that cheap injection molded stock, so its a real pleasure to play with.

Just bought one in 22-250 and i have just topped it off with a scope now i need a little warm weather to go shoot the darn thing.
I would love to hear how you make out with yours. If you gea chance let me know what works for you. This gun could easily be a dud.

surfer16_16
02-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Finally had a nice day and got the VTR to the range. Tried the Remington CoreLokt, Hornady SST and Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. The Winchester definitely grouped the best at just under 1" at 100 yds for a 3 shot group off of a sandbag. The Hornadys were a close second. Silvertips it is. Time to stock up.

crawfy
02-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Being a cheapy Remington that could be the problem. I have never had this issue on any of my VSF, VSSF, or VSSFII that I have owned.
If the gun was mine I think I would be getting the crown re-cut.

Yup the scope has been checked out. On a VTR the stock is that cheap injection molded stock, so its a real pleasure to play with.

I would love to hear how you make out with yours. If you gea chance let me know what works for you. This gun could easily be a dud.

I sure will was hoping to get out today but the 60k winds made me change my mind.

Kale_M
02-28-2011, 01:32 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180038_497578092300_512927300_6745770_3017960_n.jp g

i like mine, shoots like a laser and puts coyotes down hard!

npbra
03-02-2011, 10:11 PM
I have one in .223 with an AICS 1.5 stock and am happy with it. Shooting FMJ 55 gr. with a cheap scope and could hit the back stop all day.
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/npbra/Remington223001.jpg