PDA

View Full Version : Lake isle - can you drive around on it yet?

Tungsten
02-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Wondering if there are paths to get around or better yet if a guy could get around freely.

Thanks in advance

GaryF
02-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Went out today, not much for traffic on the ice yet. If you keep your speed up going with a 4x4 is ok.

Willowtrail
02-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Been out last sunday and this saturday at silver sands. You can druve on no problem but DON'T cross the lake. The snoe gets deep and flood water. If you got go slow and don't keep going if the snow gets deep. Soon after you'll be in flood water.

GUNRACK
02-20-2011, 11:59 PM
we were out there on Saturday with quads, the fishing was slow and you definitely wont be going too far freely. you could get lucky and not get stuck, but saw a suv, a gmc and two dodge's get stuck! the two guys in the suv dug for about an hour before getting out and i'm sure headed strait home. The fishing was slow for me, really slow! 40 holes and all I saw was one 3" perch:sign0176: and everyone I talked to weren't doing any better.

Good luck

hockey1099
02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
I went out today and got on at silver sands. You could drive on with car there. I had zero issues in my truck. There are tones of paths. I went off path and the truck only went in about an inch or two. the snow is packed down hard at silver sands.

The fishing sucks. There are about 8 billion fresh water shrimp. they are everywhere i had hundreds hit the ice when i drilled my holes. I saw one walleye and 1 perch on my camera. both were 7 feet under the ice. any deeper and i couldnt seek 2' with the camera. You definately cannot see the bottom. the water is dirty.

I left in an hour and went to wab

Daceminnow
02-21-2011, 08:45 PM
any of you northern boys fish the sandbar @ Isle for perch this winter?

Kim473
02-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Was there on Monday. Fishing very slow. Caught a few small pike and a couple of tiny perch. Saw the C/O s also, a couple of realy nice guys. Saw them chase one person off. suspect they kept some under sized pike. Can drive on in a few places but the snow in some places is very deep. Got stuck trying to get to my honey hole, need a month of warm weather before i can get to it. Maybe the second week of March. Not much snow on the north west side of the lake. The shrimp are in the shallower waters say 12 fow or less. Not very many perch marking on the flasher in 15 differant places on the lake. found a few small ones in one out of the 15. Winter kill may be a problem there this year. May need an extention for the auger in a few weeks. Man was the ice ever making a lot of noise on Monday. If you mean the one in the middle of the the lake west of camp hehoha, The Only way to get to the bar is by sled at this time. I would not chance it with a truck, Too much snow still. In about 3 weeks you should be able to drive almost anywhere if it gets a little warmer and melt some snow.

mountain_man
02-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Went out on Saturday, drove on at Silver Sands. Great driving close to there, do not try and drive across or down the lake. there is still lots of flood water, as we found out the hard way!! Good thing for shovels and 4 low!!!

Penner
02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I went out today and got on at silver sands. You could drive on with car there. I had zero issues in my truck. There are tones of paths. I went off path and the truck only went in about an inch or two. the snow is packed down hard at silver sands.

The fishing sucks. There are about 8 billion fresh water shrimp. they are everywhere i had hundreds hit the ice when i drilled my holes. I saw one walleye and 1 perch on my camera. both were 7 feet under the ice. any deeper and i couldnt seek 2' with the camera. You definately cannot see the bottom. the water is dirty.

I left in an hour and went to wab

Lake Isle known to winterkill every now and then. This year the conditions pretty favorable for winterkills. Shrimp are up just below the ice looking for dissolved O2. Fish might turn off from feeding completely and will start swimming just below the ice also. Winterkills on Isle are farily common (once every 5 or so years) and typically are not that substantial.

Daceminnow
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
If you mean the one in the middle of the the lake west of camp hehoha, The Only way to get to the bar is by sled at this time. I would not chance it with a truck, Too much snow still. In about 3 weeks you should be able to drive almost anywhere if it gets a little warmer and melt some snow.

that's the one. hard to believe no one has ventured out there. i know it's not the easiest lake to get around on at the best of times. the bar always, always produces good perch especially late.

fishunter
02-24-2011, 12:52 AM
that's the one. hard to believe no one has ventured out there. i know it's not the easiest lake to get around on at the best of times. the bar always, always produces good perch especially late.

I was there last saturday and didn't see one pearch on cam.so in the after noon i went to a different spot and seen some of winter kill.sad to say but hope they survive. I recorded it onto a laptop and going to submit it to the fish bioliogist in stony plain.