PDA

View Full Version : Picking your gun for the hunt.....

220swifty
02-20-2011, 10:42 PM
It seems that recently I am picking the rifle that makes the trip based more on where i am hunting, rather than what I am hunting. If it is a wide open prairie locale, my 6.5-06 gets the nod. Mountainous area where the Grizz may roam, It will likely be the 375 Ruger Alaskan on hand. If i am going to be up and down draws all day, in bush with a rifle in hand, my Model 7 308 comes along.

It used to be i would choose the rifle based on it's suitability to the game i am targeting, based on it's chambering, but now i find that most legal chamberings will work in most situations, and that the gun should be suited to the hunt, and not just the shot you will get. Anyone else do this?

sheephunter
02-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I pick mine on the mood I'm in that day. Some days it's a day for a long-range laser and other days I'm in the mood for up close and personal. Some days I crave a big boom and other days not so big. Some days it's just cause I feel bad cause I haven't taken a rifle out for a while. And other times it's because I have something new. I rarely worry about cartridge....more just where my hand gravitates according to my mood when I open the safe.

hardy
02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
I can admit to picking my rifle to both my surroundings and the mood I am in like TJ said. The thing with where i hunt was my whole reasoning for my 45-70 guide gun. There are probably tons of hunters who pick their firearm based on the place they'll be huntin and what they might run into, I know im one.

catnthehat
02-21-2011, 08:05 AM
I pick mine on the mood I'm in that day. Some days it's a day for a long-range laser and other days I'm in the mood for up close and personal. Some days I crave a big boom and other days not so big. Some days it's just cause I feel bad cause I haven't taken a rifle out for a while. And other times it's because I have something new. I rarely worry about cartridge....more just where my hand gravitates according to my mood when I open the safe.

X2. Most times I will try and figure out what to use and realize that any number of rifles I have will do just fine!
Cat

220swifty
02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I suppose that is a result of accumulating guns. I find I go more based on mood when i am just going out for a quick day trip close to home. It is the longer planned trips that make me more methodical in my selection.

flyguyd
02-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Most of the time its the 300 WSM , but sometimes if im headed to the mountains and want a bit more wallop , ill grab the Sako 338 wm and occaisonlly when im feeling a little nostalgic ill grab the little 250 sav. lever and take her along for a special treat. Like T.J. said i think for me also its about my mood that day.:)

BallCoeff.435
02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Combination of 'where' and 'what' I'm hunting. The biggest deciding factor being the required kinetic energy at probable maximum distance.

Life being what it is though, there will always be a 'next-best' second one along as backup.