PDA

View Full Version : how rude

bigdeer91
02-21-2011, 08:07 AM
my girl friend and i went to gull yesterday to spend the day fishing.we drove out only to see a small town on the ice .so we went farther north to where there was less traffic.we stopped and i started to drill a hole with my hand ogre when this guy came out of his ice shack and told us to move away from his shack.:argue2:
its not that we where on his door step 20 to 30 meters is that to close .
with out saying a word i packed up and left the lake:scared0018:.never to return to that lake again.
we then went to pigeon and and found out there was a realy nice guy there that offered to drill us some hole and when he was ready to leave he said we could use his shack as long as we locked it when we left.:sHa_shakeshout: which we did.fishing was slow but we did see some nice eyes and a few Whitefish.

Tyangelo
02-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I would have done the same thing. Feels good helping guys out that havnt blown as much moolah on the nice toys some of us have. If anyone close to me is using a hand auger, I automatically make my way over with my power auger.

bigdeer91
02-21-2011, 08:44 AM
i had a power auger until some one fireguard they needed it more then i did.i have all ways helped out uthere fisher men drill holes or gave them gas for there auger .but now that i dont have one it was nice to see there is still utheres that will lend a hand.:sHa_shakeshout:

Fisherpeak
02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Got me a new Eskimo for Christmas,first power auger I`v ever had.LOVE IT!!!!
I`ve drilled more holes for strangers than I have for me and friends.Only takes a few seconds and it`s good for your fishing Karma.

bigdeer91
02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
yesterday was the first time my girl friend has ever been fishing and she was so poed she wonted to punch the guy out.but when the guy at pigeon drilled us some holes and said we could use his shack she was so happy and said she wonts to go next weekend.
but now i have to find a power auger so i can help others out to.we cant afford a new one so im looking for a used one .if any one has one for sale id like to buy it.:bad_boys_20:

06Hemi
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I took my daughters out this morning along with 2 other families, 8 people total.

We were having a great day until some yahoos with the suburban full of kids, boyfriends/girlfriends/aunts/uncles pulled up pulling their 4 place sled trailer.

They proceeded to stop, unload the trailer about 50ft from us,.. I was like WTF! There is a WHOLE lake and they had to come park by us,.. sleds ripping back and forth from the boat launch.

The funny thing,.. the guy pulls out an 8" hand auger, do you think I was going to go drill his holes with my gas jobber,... F---that!

Bigtoad
02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
If you are going to drill next to someone, you've got to talk with them first and see if it is ok with them. A general rule would be at least 20 - 30 yards but even then, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

On the other side:
I was out at Gull today with some friends and some people pulled up beside us, got out, and drilled a hole 6 feet infront of my dad's truck and about 15 feet away from one of our friends shacks.

We told them politely when it looked like they were going to drill there that it was too close but they just kept on setting up and then drilled a hole between my dad's truck and the other shack.

Well, we had had enough so dad got into his truck, told them he needed to move it forward, so would they kindly move, and then he drove over their hole, and parked the truck. He got out of the truck and then proceeded to tell them that we really were serious that they were too close.

They got the message and packed up their stuff and moved 100 yards away and unloaded again.

I have no problem helping people out when fishing, sharing what I'm using, I'll even drill a hole for you, but these people saw some fish outside of our shacks and decided to camp right there in the middle of them. To me, there is no excuse for this. THEY WERE JUST TOO CLOSE!!!

If you can hear someone talking in a normal voice from inside another shack, you're either friends, or you're parked too close.

Cheers.

hunter49
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
my girl friend and i went to gull yesterday to spend the day fishing.we drove out only to see a small town on the ice .so we went farther north to where there was less traffic.we stopped and i started to drill a hole with my hand ogre when this guy came out of his ice shack and told us to move away from his shack.:argue2:
its not that we where on his door step 20 to 30 meters is that to close .
with out saying a word i packed up and left the lake:scared0018:.never to return to that lake again.
we then went to pigeon and and found out there was a realy nice guy there that offered to drill us some hole and when he was ready to leave he said we could use his shack as long as we locked it when we left.:sHa_shakeshout: which we did.fishing was slow but we did see some nice eyes and a few Whitefish.

You think thats bad?? I got out nice and early and upon driving onto the lake seen a huge group of people. Since I wanted to fish in peace and quiet I decided to set up away from the big group of people, to my surprise some guy and his girlfriend set up 20 metres away from me without even saying hello!!!
Wait a second..........:sHa_sarcasticlol:

pecker
02-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Got me a new Eskimo for Christmas,first power auger I`v ever had.LOVE IT!!!!
I`ve drilled more holes for strangers than I have for me and friends.Only takes a few seconds and it`s good for your fishing Karma.

x2:sHa_shakeshout:

Logan
02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Im pretty easy going, I could care less if anyone set up beside me. Chances are Im still a better fisherman than 80% of them. And this time of year when I see ANYONE using a hand auger I will always offer to punch holes for them in the ice with my Jiffy. Its just ice fishing, we're not fighting a war.

bigdeer91
02-21-2011, 06:22 PM
in the 30 some years i have been fishing i have never told any one they couldn't fish be side me .you can even use my holes if you ask i dont mined.just ask and ill let you or ill drill you holes.use my auger to if you wont.share story's and make friend .

Dust1n
02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
idc becuse usaly im in the wrong place lol :P

maclennanchris
02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Seems to me that there are 2 types of fishermen. The people that like to get out have a few laughs and makes some friends. A social adventure if you will. Then there is the serious angler who waits all week to get out to the lake and challage himself to beat his best record. This type seems to like small numbers of people and for sure enjoys the quiet and solitude. I myself fall into the second type. Not that i dont like people all around me having fun with there kids, screaming laughing and carrying on with the family dog. I just dont want people around me spooking the fish you know. Either way i believe a little mutual respect should be shared between everyone. If a guy is set up give em some space. Not like i dont want you there just want what i call a buffer zone....this is just my opinion and dont expect you all to agree

Dust1n
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
im both i like to challaange myself but i love laughs its about being outdoors and being thankfulll for what god gave us

baptiste_moose
02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Sorry to bounce the thread around but I was out at baptiste fishing and our auger ran out of gas so I walked about 200m to borrow a guys hand auger and he told me NO. I couldn't believe it. Didin't even know what to say.

bigdeer91
02-21-2011, 09:05 PM
now thats just down right rude .:argue2:the way i look at it what comes around gos around.if some one asked me to use my auger they can have at it.

Dust1n
02-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Sorry to bounce the thread around but I was out at baptiste fishing and our auger ran out of gas so I walked about 200m to borrow a guys hand auger and he told me NO. I couldn't believe it. Didin't even know what to say.

that was reay rude....idk some people these days eh? wheres the trust and arnt canadians supposed to be the nciest country....sad thign

hockey1099
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Wow

I would not have left. I might have asked the guy of he wanted to suck on something i had.

no one owns the lake. you can fish where you want. Generally try to leave a minimum of 50 feet bewteen you and the next person. the last thing you want to do is catch a fish and tangle lines with someone in another tent.

chubbdarter
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
there is 2 sides to this issue.
most people who intrude dont really have alot of ice fishing experience...so its up to others to kindly educate them.
lets think about this.
a hunter all season finds a prime location to hunt....walks in the dark to his tree stand and set ups waiting for legal shooting time.....4 guys show up after the sun rises and pound the woods setting up they even yell up to him in his tree stand...Hey Buddy hows the hunting?.....the woods belong to everyone ...right?
same thing a walleye fisherman works hard to get onto a prime location...gets up at 4:30 am and has all his holes drilled in the dark waiting for a critical fish movement.......along comes a load of fisherman during the prime feed and they drill right on top of you then come ask you...hey any bites how long you been here?......as your flasher goes blank.....the lake belongs to everyone .....right

pikergolf
02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I always thought of ice fishing as a social event. I was always bothered when someone would get close to my boat, but for some reason ice fishing it never bothered me. I had a buddy it really bothered though, he would watch and I'd see his face go red and rush over to the offending party and say very sarcastically here you go buddy take this hole(his own). I actually saw him put his hands on people and herd them over to his hole, I would have to turn around because I would be laughing. Nobody ever stayed after that treatment, they always moved away and asked if that was far enough.

chubbdarter
02-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I always thought of ice fishing as a social event. I was always bothered when someone would get close to my boat, but for some reason ice fishing it never bothered me. I had a buddy it really bothered though, he would watch and I'd see his face go red and rush over to the offending party and say very sarcastically here you go buddy take this hole(his own). I actually saw him put his hands on people and herd them over to his hole, I would have to turn around because I would be laughing. Nobody ever stayed after that treatment, they always moved away and asked if that was far enough.

the older i get the more i agree....ive never confronted anyone. In the past i'd go looking for other spots to fish for the evening bite...and ive found plenty so maybe i owe those people a Thank You
many times i'd return to my original position knowing they left long before sun set to fish the evening/dark bite.
Remember though in a trophy hunters eyes a trophy elk isnt any different than a trophy walleye
Is a person wrong for fishing in someones back pocket....maybe not. But it is the reason i like fishing big waters with alot of structure...im not anti social, i just like catching big fish....and i dont mind seeing others with me catching big fish.

WalleyeMaster
02-22-2011, 03:48 AM
yesterday was the first time my girl friend has ever been fishing and she was so poed she wonted to punch the guy out.but when the guy at pigeon drilled us some holes and said we could use his shack she was so happy and said she wonts to go next weekend.
but now i have to find a power auger so i can help others out to.we cant afford a new one so im looking for a used one .if any one has one for sale id like to buy it.:bad_boys_20:

I have a old eskimo power auger, its not running varry good right now would need to be taken into a small engine repair shop for a tune up. it has a new spark plug and blade on it and a extra new one as well.
i paid 280$ last winter for it. i would sell it for 150$ it starts good just dosent run properly like i said it needs a tune up. im leaving today at noon for grand prarrie till april so i wont be able to get anymore icefishing in this year. if you interested give me a txt or call 403-797-8092. i live in penhold and the auger is out at my parents farm at gull lake if this morning dosent work i could arrange for my girlfreind to meet you at a later date
Damon

Kim473
02-22-2011, 06:25 AM
50 feet is ok with me. The spot is only half of the luck of getting fish. You need some luck and skill also. Oh, and some stupid fish to bite the hook also. I will drill holes also for others, but reluctent to let some yahoo use my auger as it cost me $. If someone was stupid enough to not fill there auger with gas before going out, hmmmm. Dont know what I would say. If they said it spilled out in the back of the truck, or thiers would not start, no problem, I would drill them some holes.

valve god
02-22-2011, 07:37 AM
It is amazing how rude some people can be:argue2: I don't really mind people fishing close to me if they show respect to your space. If they want to fish 20yds from where I am its cool if they ask. Sometimes it could be to your advantage, they may start catching so have a peek at what they are using.
The wife and I fish a certain lake that it is close quarters to where the fishing is prime. 20yds could mean no fish. At times there are 30+ people in that small area. There are alot of regulars that fish there every day The laughs and the stories are great. There are some days we come home with sore stomachs from laughing. If somebodys auger is not working there is 2-3 people that will offer to drill holes for them. There is alot of people that need to lighten up:sHa_shakeshout:

AbProwler
02-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Was it a permanent type shack?
Some of those guy's figure they own all the ice for a couple hundred feet around them!
One for sure, that I have encountered on Gull, of course I just ignored him and continued enjoying the day. :fighting0030:

skiwili
02-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Wow, this is very sad. I will never go to this lake. He can have it all.

Photoplex
02-22-2011, 08:07 AM
The spot is only half of the luck of getting fish. You need some luck and skill also.

It's not luck when you've spent an entire winter researching the bathymetry maps for just the right structure, fine tuning your location week after week until you land on a honey hole that produces every week...

...there's not a single shred of luck in that.

pikester
02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Very interesting topic & a tough one because everybody is so different in terms of how they fish, what each person's personal comfort space is, maybe even where you're fishing. For example I don't feel comfortable under most circumstances having people I don't know set up closer than about a hundred feet; I purposely leave at least that much room between me & the closest people to me when I pull into an area that already has anglers around out of respect for others. This is partially because I have 3 kids at home (who are a full time job unto themselves) as well as a highly physical full time job. When I get out it's usually to get away from everyone & have a nice peaceful, enjoyable day of fishing. Also I do ALOT of drilling & moving when I hit the lake; the place I first start drilling is almost never where I end up by the end of the day so I need room to move so I can fine tune my location to get to exactly the the right depth off a point or in just the right spot on a hump or ledge for example.

An even bigger factor is what kind of people & how many are encroaching on your personal comfort space. A couple older guys who pull up 50 ft away & ask if they can drill there, then sit & fish quietly are 100X more welcome than 2 truck loads of punks with quads or sleds & loud music blaring 100ft away!

ILUVTRAPPING
02-22-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't mind if someone fishes close to me. What I do mind is stereos blaring away with rap music at top decible level. I like to go out, hear kids laughing, the odd swearword when someone misses a bite or a fish gets off the hook, and lots of yee haws when one comes out on the ice...NO LOUD MUSIC!!!

hunter49
02-22-2011, 09:27 AM
It's not luck when you've spent an entire winter researching the bathymetry maps for just the right structure, fine tuning your location week after week until you land on a honey hole that produces every week...

or in your case, stealing chubbdarters spots?! :scared0018:

Photoplex
02-22-2011, 09:36 AM
or in your case, stealing chubbdarters spots?! :scared0018:

That's a good one! Someone should give you a contract and stick you on a stage! :fighting0074:

dragon
02-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Having people fish close to you could have advantages:

If they are catching fish and your not seeing anything... time to change your hook or bait?

I would also assume that more bait in a general area could mean more fish are attracted?

Perhaps buddy is a better fisherman than you are and even though you know everything he teaches you something new....:thinking-006:

just trying to look at some positives

Daceminnow
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM

photo, you must catch ALOT of fish or you don't fish very much at all. one of the two. there are absolutely NO variables in fishing, especially when you study your bathymetry maps all winter long, right?

bigdeer91
02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
i didnt mean to start a war hear i just wonted to no if 20 or 30 meters is to close to set up beside some one .it was my girl friend very first time ice fishing and all most her last thank to the rude gut on gull lake.
when we drove on to the lake there must have been 40 plus cars trucks and suv out there along with ice tent shacks and even some one had a green summer tent set up ..
so i figured we would go further out on the lake all most as far as the road went.but i guess it was to fare .never have i been told i couldn't fish beside some one.i guess he owns the lake so he think.:sign0176:

Dust1n
02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
dont worry at sylvan lake out my marina bay its not uncommon if someone drills 10 feet away....