PDA

View Full Version : Experience with .358?

So Nova *!%
02-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I am suffering from terminal Bigger is better syndrome and was wondering if anyone has some bush time with this round.
It seems like it would be a fairly good mid range all around round
I could see problems with ammo supply as the only rifles chambering it at this moment (new ) are the brownings (BLR) and Winchester the only ammo
So does anyone own anything that uses this round
do you like it or is it a safe gun?
would you recommend it? and could you use it to hunt antelope if you had to?
thanks guys in advance

catnthehat
02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
OldBadger and I developed loads for a safe queen he had , he sold it to a new shooter who took antelope and deer with it.'This is a very cool little round, lots of bullet weight, but flat enough to hold its own in many situations.
I like it.....
Cat

eric2381
02-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't have a 358 win, but I have a 35 Whelen. I really like it and I got the biggest black bear I ever saw with it last year. Lots of power, but not as expensive or hard on the shoulder as a bigger magnum.

If you handload, you can shoot cheap pistol bullets though it as well for shooting gophers and such.

So Nova *!%
02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
thanks Cat was hoping you'd ring in on this one, and eric thank you as well that whelen entices me as well and not so hard to find factory ammo (I don't reload ,YET)

Dick284
02-21-2011, 09:09 AM
I love my BLR in 358.

It's an older BLR with the pregnant magazine, but wow what a game getter, I've taken a bear and 2 deer with it, nothing to complain about except I don't use as much as I should.
For close work it's one of my favs.

303carbine
02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
I am suffering from terminal Bigger is better syndrome and was wondering if anyone has some bush time with this round.
I could see problems with ammo supply as the only rifles chambering it at this moment (new ) are the brownings (BLR) and Winchester the only ammo
thanks guys in advance

I have a 358 Winchester in a Ruger Hawkeye with 22 inch barrel that gets 2500 fps with a 225 grain Barnes X bullet.
I hope to get a moose draw this fall, the 358 will be going along as my main hunting rifle.
I will be bringing the puny 30-06 as a backup rifle. :)

So Nova *!%
02-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a 358 Winchester in a Ruger Hawkeye with 22 inch barrel that gets 2500 fps with a 225 grain Barnes X bullet.
I hope to get a moose draw this fall, the 358 will be going along as my main hunting rifle.
I will be bringing the puny 30-06 as a backup rifle. :)

Puny 30-06 :sHa_sarcasticlol:

lol thanks almost spit coffee all over my comp
As you seem to be reloading what would you say your cost per shot is? the cheapest I could ever get on paper for my .308 was about $.70 and as I can get off the shelf for about $.80 was never a real great deal to start (also under the impression the .308 is packed as tight as can be so basically you could only go down from factory)
But with something that is still really almost a wildcat I think if I get something in a 358 I might start to reload

eric2381
02-21-2011, 10:14 AM
If you're gonna be reloading, the whelen can be loaded down to what a 358 win does, but the 358 win can never be loaded up to what a whelen does.

So Nova *!%
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
If you're gonna be reloading, the whelen can be loaded down to what a 358 win does, but the 358 win can never be loaded up to what a whelen does.

can I pose the same question to you then? as to cost per shot?

7mmremmag
02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
If your gonna go with a .358 and plan on reloading someday, I think id go for a semi custom rifle in .358 STA. Check it out, ive never actually seen one but seems pretty cool

So Nova *!%
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the input guys
I am not sure custom or even semi custom is in my near future
the BLR s bring the lever gun cool factor and are in my price range (can be shot on the way home without a scope)
Something chambered in the 35 whelen ? 999.00 and under out there?

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I think id go for a semi custom rifle in .358 STA.

I hear, some time ago, that accuracy was very hard to attain in the 358STA.

the comment was, "LS never has posted accuracy stats in any articles" and the guys telling my the story even said they contacted the publisher, who dodged the question... said to contact the author.

this was in Stalkers Sports in S'toon.... back in 92-93....

any one ever get that big puppy to shoot?

303carbine
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM

The extra 50 fps or so the Whelen makes won't make a difference.
Yes , the Whelen can be loaded a bit faster, it doesn't kill any faster.

eric2381
02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
That may be true. But how many guys prefer the 30/06 over the 308? That comparison is exactly the same. Maybe a bit more pronounced because of the heavier 35 cal bullets.

eric2381
02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=75&BulletWeight=225

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=191&BulletWeight=225

Rem - P14
02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
thanks Cat was hoping you'd ring in on this one, and eric thank you as well that whelen entices me as well and not so hard to find factory ammo (I don't reload ,YET)

Do yourself a favor and get into reloading as soon as you can. Even if you only go as deep as to get into basic reloading (which is all I've done) I bet you will enjoy it! So far I've only had one shell which failed to go BOOM! and that was because I had somehow forgotten the IMR - 4064 for that particular shell!

Honker1
02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a 358 Norma Mag and love it wouldn't hesitate hunting Coyotes to Brown Bear's with it, very cool especially if it is in a older factory chambered gun, which mine is not, but still way up there on the cool factor!

So Nova *!%
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Do yourself a favor and get into reloading as soon as you can. Even if you only go as deep as to get into basic reloading (which is all I've done) I bet you will enjoy it! So far I've only had one shell which failed to go BOOM! and that was because I had somehow forgotten the IMR - 4064 for that particular shell!

I intend on trying actually tried getting my hands on the Lee classic in 308 but no one locally was selling one, then got talked out of that brand name altogether but I still think the Lee 50 anniversary looks pretty complete and a bargain too
Thanks - Cliff

oldgutpile
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
A friend has recently bought a 358 win and is unable to find any factory ammo anywhere for it. I checked the last two gun shows with no results. Be prepared to handload for it, at least for now. This calibre seems to have really made somewhat of a comeback lately, so ammunition is non-existent off the shelf.
As for myself, I have the 350 rem mag, the 35 whelan, and 358 norma. Pretty much set for anything, anywhere. Reloading is a must unless you want to donate upwards of a hundred bucks a box for the norma ammo. I can reload them for twenty five.

sikwhiskey
02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
thanks guys in advance

Used to own a .350 Mashburn Super Mag. Sold it to a friend that moved to Alaska. He has taken everything from brown bear to dal Sheep with it, still says its his go to gun. if I was ever going to build a custom, med/big bore, it would be be the 350 msm. Use fire formed 375 or 300 H&H necked to .35 and blown out with a 30 deg shoulder, very similar to the Ackley Improved .35 mag.
From left to right, 300 h&h, 350 mashburn, 375 mashburn.
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx60/sikwhiskey/IMG_1973.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx60/sikwhiskey/IMG_1972.jpg

So Nova *!%
02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
A friend has recently bought a 358 win and is unable to find any factory ammo anywhere for it. I checked the last two gun shows with no results. Be prepared to handload for it, at least for now. This calibre seems to have really made somewhat of a comeback lately, so ammunition is non-existent off the shelf.
As for myself, I have the 350 rem mag, the 35 whelan, and 358 norma. Pretty much set for anything, anywhere. Reloading is a must unless you want to donate upwards of a hundred bucks a box for the norma ammo. I can reload them for twenty five.

Yup part of my researching any prospective gun involves calling my local two shops and two in Calgary as well for stocked ammo
Thanks
:):)

303carbine
02-22-2011, 11:36 PM
http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=75&BulletWeight=225

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=191&BulletWeight=225

I load my 225 grainers up to 2500 fps in my 358 Ruger Hawkeye, this is a lot better than the reloaders nest data.
I shot the Barnes 225 grain X bullet with the chrony set up at 15 feet from the muzzle to get my data.
The Whelen does a bit better, but not anything the moose or elk would notice. A dead steak doesn't know how fast the bullet was going ....:)

So Nova *!%
02-22-2011, 11:55 PM
thought this thread had died thanks for the reload data another real good read that I've found
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/358_wcf.htm
seems like he knows what he's doing
of course he could also be so full of it his eyes are brown for all I know about reloading!