PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn to pac with horses

pa_of_6
02-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I am interested in learning how to pac with horses.

I have worked with horses along time so horses are not the issue.
(and I plan on packing with horses not mules)

The issue is, what gear does a person buy?

Which pac saddle is best?

I would hate to invest in the wrong gear.

I would like to use it for going for camping and hunting trips.

I would also use it for packing blocks of salt for my cows on pasture.

So, any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

sheephunter
02-21-2011, 11:00 AM
There are usually a number of packing clinics held around the province each year. That would be a great place to start.

Taco
02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I learned to pack from an old BNP packer but if I'd wanted to learn nowadays and had no contacts I'd take one of those 'mercian packing schools down south to get my basics down.

sheepguide
02-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Lots of info on the net, but your best bet for packsaddles is to buy the new adjustable style saw bucks. They are about the same price as old wood saw bucks and can be adjusted for different horses.

Here is a link to some good supplies.
http://www.custompackrigging.com/

As for packing clinics, a few of us had a bit of one this past fall for a few members and was a good time and im sure alpineguy would be game to do another. So maybe we can line one up for this spring for anyone interested. Good place to exchange secrets and tips and see what guys are using for gear.

SG

Nait Hadya
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
there was a book published a while back by a feller named smoke eisler( not sure on his last name) on packing. it was very detailed and humorous. he went into great detail on how or how not to do most everything to do with packing,from stock to knots.

sheepguide
02-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Here are a couple other really good books,

Horse Packing In Pictures By Francis W. Davis

Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails By Joe back

SG

Grizzly Adams
02-21-2011, 03:22 PM
I think Alpine Guy is planning another get together in the Spring. Last one was a blast and you'll learn a lot. Maybe even get to meet "young" Eldon.:lol:

Grizz

Horn Stretcher
02-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Another site for packing equipment is http://www.outfitterssupply.com/
They have equipment that is good quality and good selection you just have to know what it is that you want.

hl649
02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
If you are starting from scratch and buying everything, I would take a serious look at a Decker style pack saddle. They are a definite improvement over any style of sawbuck and are much easier on the horse. Go with a full set of rigging including both breast strap and britchin'. There are lots of books out there; some are good and some are crap. Do lots of reading, and I do mean lots of reading. There are quite a few packing schools and clinics in Alberta every year.

There are lots of ways to pack a horse. Everyone seems to do it a little different. Don't think there is a right or wrong, just what works for you and that particular horse. Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn fast.

alpineguy
02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Talked to a couple of AO guys and it looks like we would plan it for either the first or second weekend of May. Will start a thread on the whole deal when we get about a month away.
What would guys want to see. We tossed around these topics;

-packing of horses
-introduction to riding horses (horses would be provided)
-introduction to driving horses
-maybe a target shoot
-eats/beers/BS
-overnight camping area provided

sheepguide
02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I think Alpine Guy is planning another get together in the Spring. Last one was a blast and you'll learn a lot. Maybe even get to meet "young" Eldon.:lol:

Grizz

yep meeting "young" Eldon was my highlight and listening to his stories was great. Hope he shows at the next get together.

Anyone that is into packing or wanting to learn should deffinatly show up. Any experienced guys is a plus and the more new guys just getting into the sport is a big bonus as thats whats its all about, passing on what has been pssed onto us.

Any info or questions and any thing you think can be added to this get together just let myself or alpineguy know.

SG

Segundo
02-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Packing seems like a dying art ...

Its been a few years since I made the miles in the Yukon. Lots of adventure for sure.

Where about do you all get together for this ?

If my schedule allows, I wouldn't mind dropping in .

steve
02-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Hopefully I can make it this time.

alpineguy
02-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Packing seems like a dying art ...

Its been a few years since I made the miles in the Yukon. Lots of adventure for sure.

Where about do you all get together for this ?

If my schedule allows, I wouldn't mind dropping in .

Sundre area

pope
02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Talked to a couple of AO guys and it looks like we would plan it for either the first or second weekend of May. Will start a thread on the whole deal when we get about a month away.
What would guys want to see. We tossed around these topics;

-packing of horses
-introduction to riding horses (horses would be provided)
-introduction to driving horses
-maybe a target shoot
-eats/beers/BS
-overnight camping area provided

So, can just anyone come? How much BS? How bout a dog packing clinic?

Kidding aside, this would be a great opportunity for those of us non-horse people who like to tag along at a horse camp, to learn the ropes! Such as, when to help, and when to stay the heck out of the way! Sign me up....

sheepguide
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
So, can just anyone come? How much BS? How bout a dog packing clinic?

Kidding aside, this would be a great opportunity for those of us non-horse people who like to tag along at a horse camp, to learn the ropes! Such as, when to help, and when to stay the heck out of the way! Sign me up....

Anyone is welcome for sure. How much BS.... oh there will be alot of that flying around for sure!!! LOL.

And if you really want my dog should be packing by then and I can bring him:)

Anyways it would be awesome to get some new guys there and checking things out.

SG

decker
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I am not going to miss this one. Is there anything I guy should bring? One thing I would like to learn more is shoeing, and how to properly place your gear on the horse/ mule.

rhuntley12
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I am not going to miss this one. Is there anything I guy should bring? One thing I would like to learn more is shoeing, and how to properly place your gear on the horse/ mule.

X2, definately won't miss this one.

Wrongside
02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Tagged for interest.

If the timing works out, myself and a friend would really like to attend.