PDA

View Full Version : Eventful day at Pigeon

dragon
02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Well went out last night to the cabin so I could head out at dawn with my 4 yr old to fish for a while....

First things first at the boat launch where we drive on the ice there is a deer that has compound fractures both rear legs. I called SRD and he came out a put the deer out of its misery.

Well then off to fishing... I HATE GETTING SCHOOLED BY 4 YEAR OLDS lol. He pulled out 2 24" pike and a small walleye all by 10:30.

when the fish quit biting we decided to go for a snowmobile ride and got pulled over by a Peace officer. I asked why and he said he wanted to see my reg and insurance... Everything was all good.

So on the way to a friends place I get in front of Fisher home and sure enough buddy is set up 100 ft off the boat launch fishing with his kid. Grabbed his plate and called the report a poacher... Talked to the same SRD officer and he said he was gunna do some digging and see where it goes.

Now i understand its a free weekend and all so maybe he isn't familiar with the lake... but then I realized he drove right past the big NO FISHING sign to park his jeep on the ice so.... On top of that he had a tent and a power auger so its not like he has never ice fished.

:sign0176:

baptiste_moose
02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
it's just nice to taddle like a 4 yr old. it would be a big deal if a caught a cold i guess

Dakota369
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
it's just nice to taddle like a 4 yr old. it would be a big deal if a caught a cold i guess

Spoken like a true poacher ................ what difference does it make if he caught anything, poaching is poaching......................

tacklerunner
02-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Well went out last night to the cabin so I could head out at dawn with my 4 yr old to fish for a while....

First things first at the boat launch where we drive on the ice there is a deer that has compound fractures both rear legs. I called SRD and he came out a put the deer out of its misery.

So on the way to a friends place I get in front of Fisher home and sure enough buddy is set up 100 ft off the boat launch fishing with his kid. Grabbed his plate and called the report a poacher... Talked to the same SRD officer and he said he was gunna do some digging and see where it goes.

Now i understand its a free weekend and all so maybe he isn't familiar with the lake... but then I realized he drove right past the big NO FISHING sign to park his jeep on the ice so.... On top of that he had a tent and a power auger so its not like he has never ice fished.

You did the right thing in both cases.

:sign0176:

Huh? Tattle tale like a 4 year old? Either the guy made a mistake or he was doing something wrong. Either way he needed to be educated. If we could all teach our 4 yr olds what's right and wrong by example, our resource and the world in general would be in better shape. Good on you dragon.

buckmaster
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
So on the way to a friends place I get in front of Fisher home and sure enough buddy is set up 100 ft off the boat launch fishing with his kid.

:sign0176: I did the same thing many years ago.It was a honest mistake that i made .I used to fish that area all the time when the area was open to fishing and didnt even bother checking the regs that day.A kind fisherman gladly informed me of my mistake:)

dragon
02-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I did the same thing many years ago.It was a honest mistake that i made .I used to fish that area all the time when the area was open to fishing and didnt even bother checking the regs that day.A kind fisherman gladly informed me of my mistake:)

Understood...But they closed that section off over a decade ago...

As a average joe I don't have enough information to make the call that is was an honest mistake. The SRD officer has access to whether or not the guy has a license... past infractions... etc etc. His discretion is far more accurate than mine. Based on our conversation I'm sure he used it.

Given the circumstances and the fact that I had my 4 yr old with me I chose not to confront him. Had I been with another person or group of people I may have chosen to confront him.

dragon
02-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Are you saying this was you?

pickrel pat
02-22-2011, 01:10 PM
i would of let him know it was closed there. i hate seeing HONEST mistakes made liable for. if he in any way got ornary or didnt move from the spot, i would gladly phone him in, ( i do know some of the older generation never learned to read.) not saying he was old but.....

baptiste_moose
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
If u go up to the guy and say" just for the heads up, u can't fish here." Is he gonna drop his gloves? Come on. He woulda said "thanx man, i didn't know." Thats all I'm saying. Is he anymore educated with a 200$ fine?? Pigeon CSI.

Penner
02-22-2011, 01:54 PM
i would of let him know it was closed there. i hate seeing HONEST mistakes made liable for. if he in any way got ornary or didnt move from the spot, i would gladly phone him in, ( i do know some of the older generation never learned to read.) not saying he was old but.....

X2. The guy may have not honestly known (although it is clearly posted at Fisher Home and in the regulations) and it would have been the most sportsmanly like thing to do to give him a quick verbal heads-up. If he then gave you a hard time or didn’t move from the location then I’d would have called it in.

None-the-less good job in reporting it. No better protectors of the resource than the responsible anglers like yourself. As the CO’s have little budget, we need to be their eyes & ears.

Paul C
02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
X2. The guy may have not honestly known (although it is clearly posted at Fisher Home and in the regulations) and it would have been the most sportsmanly like thing to do to give him a quick verbal heads-up. If he then gave you a hard time or didn’t move from the location then I’d would have called it in.

None-the-less good job in reporting it. No better protectors of the resource than the responsible anglers like yourself. As the CO’s have little budget, we need to be their eyes & ears.
X3 Well said.

dragon
02-22-2011, 02:29 PM
If u go up to the guy and say" just for the heads up, u can't fish here." Is he gonna drop his gloves? Come on. He woulda said "thanx man, i didn't know." Thats all I'm saying. Is he anymore educated with a 200$ fine?? Pigeon CSI.

No he probably wouldn't have dropped his gloves. point taken. Given the situation... nobody else around... etc. I wasn't in a position to approach him.

And yes my guess is he is more educated if he indeed did recieve a $200 fine.

Here's another situation.

If you were making a left hand turn in your vehicle and miscaluclated the speed of an oncoming car causing an accident... honest mistake.... but should you get a ticket?

Yeah I know that situation is different but just another way of looking at it.

chubbdarter
02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
No he probably wouldn't have dropped his gloves. point taken. Given the situation... nobody else around... etc. I wasn't in a position to approach him.

If you were making a left hand turn in your vehicle and miscaluclated the speed of an oncoming car causing an accident... honest mistake.... but should you get a ticket?

valid point...maybe out of the scope a bit..but i understand your point.

add this to the mix

what if the person seen doing a illegal act was a visible minority known to bend alot of fishery rules.....does that make a difference in how the situation is handled?

dragon
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
valid point...maybe out of the scope a bit..but i understand your point.

add this to the mix

what if the person seen doing a illegal act was a visible minority known to bend alot of fishery rules.....does that make a difference in how the situation is handled?

I don't guilty by association would be the determining factor... however I'm sure the thought would cross my mind if only for a few seconds and still be dependant on a hole bag of variables...

pickrel pat
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM

lol! hmmmmmmm pretty low possibility of the fisherman killing my family by fishing in the wrong place! i would say its a LITTLE differant situation! apples to oranges.

baptiste_moose
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Soo true. Didn't mean to be a wang face just wanted you to see the other side. If he knew the rules he wouldn't be doing it on Family day weekend at The very busy Pigeon.

linger
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
im not to familier with pigion lake if you don't mind me asking why can you not fish at fisher place:)

buckmaster
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
im not to familier with pigion lake if you don't mind me asking why can you not fish at fisher place:)

The nw side of the lake has a creek that flows into it. It is closed to protect fish spawning in the lake.I believe the nw side of the lake closed was to protect mainly walleye spawning.

linger
02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
thanks for the info buckmaster now i know. wouldn't want to make that mistake and get a fine thanks again:)

hightower
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I was in a similar situation a while back, I was at the Campbell River fishing peir. Got my licences and all that jazz, I studies up on the regulations out there and to be honest It was really confusing between all these different zones and the regualtion were vastly different from zone to zone and if your not sure where you are it really doesnt help much anyways. But the bottom line is I did my research. Anyways I showed up at the pier with my old lady and a freind and we were just going to throw some bait in and see what happened. Turns out you arnt allowed to use bait at the pier, some non crazy elderly fellow just mention "hey you know your not supposed to use bait here" and I was like "oh really thanks for letting me know" threw on some plastic instead and had a good time. Please note that there was no conflict of any sort, gloves stayed firmly in place, the same guy accually gave us some tips and we had a good chat. Probably exactly what would have happened in your situation. I know alot of people on this forum are complete nazi's when it comes to this stuff and I guess if it makes you feel better about yourself making trouble for others no one can stop you but a carma has a way of comin back 10 fold, as chances are, it was an honest mistake. Anways this is the cue for the crazy angry responses. Oh and just incase that isnt enough fuel for the fire this one time I ice fished with in 100 feet of someone else, oh and I also trolled the same shoreline as someone else, oh and I loaded my boat while people fished on the dock and I might have gotten laid in the middle of the lake in broad daylight, that was hot. haha anyways have at it guys, but dont be looking for a response back from me cuz the only usefull part of this forum besides having a little fun I guess is sharing tips and fishing reports. cheers.

spopadyn
02-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow, finally someone here makes sense. Geez, so many police out there....so little help...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-24-2011, 12:00 AM
It doesnt matter free fishing weekend or not you need to know the regulations . Theres no need for people sticking up for the guy who obvously didnt take the 30 seconds it requires to read the regulations . Sure you can say you didnt have the regulations with you , or you forgot but its ones responcebility to know . I dont think coming up with the excuse that this use to be open last time i fished here would cut it . Youd think that the fact there were no old holes drilled would be kind of obvious pointer to hummm maybe something is up here .

tacklerunner
02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
It seems that the general consensus is that it was an "honest mistake". I see no evidence of this; not saying it wasn't just uncertain. I still say a chat from an officer whether it resulted in a fine or not, whether it was an innocent mistake or not would enlighten this person in a positive manner.

pickrel pat
02-24-2011, 10:17 AM
It doesnt matter free fishing weekend or not you need to know the regulations . Theres no need for people sticking up for the guy who obvously didnt take the 30 seconds it requires to read the regulations . Sure you can say you didnt have the regulations with you , or you forgot but its ones responcebility to know . I dont think coming up with the excuse that this use to be open last time i fished here would cut it . Youd think that the fact there were no old holes drilled would be kind of obvious pointer to hummm maybe something is up here .i remember one of your threads where you had taken a bunch of pics of mule deer and all through the thread you referred to them as whitetails! would that of been an honest mistake if you had shot one? you should of read your hunter training book better i guess and learned the diff between the two species. the two of you are alot alike. :scared0018: people should be tested before entering the feild, either fishing or hunting.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-24-2011, 10:43 AM
i remember one of your threads where you had taken a bunch of pics of mule deer and all through the thread you referred to them as whitetails! would that of been an honest mistake if you had shot one? you should of read your hunter training book better i guess and learned the diff between the two species. the two of you are alot alike. :scared0018: people should be tested before entering the feild, either fishing or hunting.

I guess it would been my mistake , and would of payed for it . I was reading that thread just the other day not sure why the hell i called them whitetails . Anyway whatever , If I had shot A mule deer thinking it was a whitetail I would of deserved to be up the creek without a paddle . You have to be accountable for your actions .After all you do something wrong it just doesnt disapear .

pickrel pat
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
I guess it would been my mistake , and would of payed for it . I was reading that thread just the other day not sure why the hell i called them whitetails . Anyway whatever , If I had shot A mule deer thinking it was a whitetail I would of deserved to be up the creek without a paddle . You have to be accountable for your actions .After all you do something wrong it just doesnt disapear .if you were with someone( like you) wouldnt you want to be told that your making a mistake before you pulled the trigger and have to pay for your actions? I am assuming you made an honest mistake in specie identification. i believe everyone needs a chance. who knows..... he may of been poaching, or just unknowing. thats why i like to find out before the book is thrown at him. it would make me feel good about myself if i was able to educate and help someone who needed it, rather than just tossing the book at him! im also sure that if you were in a whitetail only zone and were lined up on a mulie, that you would want the guy driving by on the road to honk his horn scaring the deer away then come over and ask what the hell you were thinking, instead of watching you shoot it. im one of the few who still like to give people the benifit of the doubt, to many judgementel condeming people out there.