PDA

View Full Version : Netflix questions

BEL
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
My questions go out to anyone who has Netflix or knows how it works. How are the selection of movies? How does one hook up from a laptop to a Sony Bravia HD TV? Do you require certain cords? Thanks. BEL

FishingMOM
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=80603&highlight=Netflix

BEL
02-21-2011, 10:57 PM
thanks. That helps but i will have to get a better idea how to get it to my TV. My wife is more tech savvy than I am. BEL

FishingMOM
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
That I cant help ya with.

Check with the geeks on the board. I am sure that a few guys might know how.

Goater
02-21-2011, 11:12 PM
:angry3:

Goater
02-21-2011, 11:16 PM
bel - What ports do you have on your laptop and which laptop,do you have any cables at all, S-cable, HDMI.

Captain Fred
02-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Don't bother with netflix, it sucks...

There's just nothing good to watch unless you are south of the border.

Netflix is a wonderful concept, but all this CRTC crap regulations only allows us to watch the crap with Canadian content. I cancelled it long before my 1 month free trial was up.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-21-2011, 11:26 PM
My questions go out to anyone who has Netflix or knows how it works. How are the selection of movies? How does one hook up from a laptop to a Sony Bravia HD TV? Do you require certain cords? Thanks. BEL

You can get an HDMI cord or if you got one of them game things like the WII you can put netflix right on there no idea how but you can do it , had my brother who is an electronics jenious .

As for types of movies you can pick the types of things you want to show up I know for awhile there all these lovey dovey movies were showing up so i called and complained and in fact some lovely person in my house desided upon them selves to watch movies on my netflix account . There is starting to be a pretty good selection of movies and other stuff.

Wish you could search by actors names rather then movie title . Anyway its pretty good for 10 bucks a month and you get your first month free .

All in all id give it 3.5 racks outta 5 .

Netflix is a wonderful concept, but all this CRTC crap regulations only allows us to watch the crap with Canadian content. I cancelled it long before my 1 month free trial was up.

Ive had ours for a year now and its starting to show a pretty good selection of movies lots of war , action type movies to which i live for .

BEL
02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
I have the usual USB ports and a network port. No idea what kind of cables except they plug into the USB ports. I will look up my manual and see. Thanks . BEL

BEL
02-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Forgot to mention that the laptop is a new Acer Aspire. BEL

horsetrader
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I run mine through an apple TV $109 at mac store with it's own remote
no computer needed

grunger
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
My bravia has vga input. I use that cable from the laptop monitor output to the tv, and a stero minijack to connect the audio. Works well.

benamen
02-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Lots of different Acer Aspires out there with different video outputs. Find either a HDMI or VGA output on the laptop and connect the cord to the same connector on the TV.
I use Intels wireless transmitter for my connection.

If you have a Wii, Playstation or Xbox, you can connect these to the TV and play the movies through these devices also.

mtylerb
02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Lots of different Acer Aspires out there with different video outputs. Find either a HDMI or VGA output on the laptop and connect the cord to the same connector on the TV.
I use Intels wireless transmitter for my connection.

If you have a Wii, Playstation or Xbox, you can connect these to the TV and play the movies through these devices also.

I've had Netflix for almost a year. Run it on my PS3 and it's connected to my Sony Bravia 40" HDTV by an HDMI cable. Not bad, there's a lot of decent movies and TV shows. There's also a lot more foreign and independent films or "B" movies.

dumoulin
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM

I have Netflix and the same TV, actually the tv part is not that important or through which medium (laptop, computer, x-box or Wii). Basiclally all you do is sign-up and then hook up.

To hook up you need to plug your laptop or computer or x-box or Wii to the tv using and HDMI cable (which will carry sound too.) If you are using the video game players you will need to connect them to the internet.

We have had it for 2 months and are getting tired of it because the majority of movies on it are crapy. Lot's of old stuff that already runs on TV. The documentaries are interesting though... good luck.

Giterdone
02-22-2011, 09:59 PM

X5

BEL
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Well I think I have this cord problem figured out. We searched through our drawers and came up with what we think is a HDMI cord. We still have to find our manual but I think it will be a go. We will try Netflix for a month. thanks again. BEL

mtylerb
02-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I think I have this cord problem figured out. We searched through our drawers and came up with what we think is a HDMI cord. We still have to find our manual but I think it will be a go. We will try Netflix for a month. thanks again. BEL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Connectors

Couple of good reference pictures there of what an HDMI connector looks like.

coolpool
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I have Netflix and for the price of 7.99 per month it's worth it. I know the movies could be newere but that may come. I use "Apple TV" to transmit downstairs without wires. The kids go through their x-box. You can watch Netflix on up to 6 different devices at once provided you have the internet speed.

HunterDan
02-24-2011, 07:31 PM
I just signed up for the free trial and like it so far.
The Yellowstone documentary is pretty awesome. There are 3 parts for three seasons, winter, summer, and fall.
Some pretty amazing wildlife shots of Elk, Bison, Wolf, Speed Goat and others.
Very much worth watching.

Dan

sparky660
02-24-2011, 07:40 PM
We have netflix and it is great for us. My boys are hard on DVDs and the kids selection is decent so for the half the price of a scratched DVD they can watch all they want and we are further ahead. It would be nice if they had a newer selection but until the CRTC approves more channels it isn't anything spectacular. Go figure the CRTC screws up a good thing. If you check out the selection south of the border it is awesome.

antlerguy
02-24-2011, 08:00 PM
$8 a month and your kids can watch many series and movies. And as a added bonus you get to watch a couple of older flicks. It beats renting another Scooby Doo flick every week!!

BEL
02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
$8 is a great deal. There are a lot of really good older movies. BEL

sparky660
02-24-2011, 11:49 PM
$8 is a great deal. There are a lot of really good older movies. BEL

A lot of crappy old movies. If you want to watch a cinematic dud watch the original Batman with Adam West. My god it is horrible.

You could see the mustache of the Joker under the face paint. Hi definition is unforgiving when it comes to these old movies.

BEL
02-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Sparky you are certainly corrrect about some of the old movies. The StarTrek TV series was pretty bad too but ahead of its time (in the 60"s). I recently taped an old movie with Charelton Heston and Antony Zerb. By todays standards it is not that good but still a classic in my opinion. Some of the new movies in my opinion are terrible because there is too much techo stuff going on. Movie makers create movies for the 20 to 35 age group, mostly males. But then again there seems to be quite a few Chick Flick movies out there too. BEL

leeaspell
02-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Netflix is not bad, for $8 dollars a month you cant complain bout selection, its the same as renting 2 movies a month, I find the best part is the documentaries, good selection, like hunter dan said, the yellowstone one is pretty cool. I use it on my Wii and it is pretty easy to set up, takes about 5-10 minutes.

JB_AOL
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Just signed up and got the wii setup for netflix last night. Haven't had the time to view anything yet. We'll see if I use it at all in the free month, if not I'll cancel. Like the idea, not sure about the selection.

mtylerb
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
We have netflix and it is great for us. My boys are hard on DVDs and the kids selection is decent so for the half the price of a scratched DVD they can watch all they want and we are further ahead. It would be nice if they had a newer selection but until the CRTC approves more channels it isn't anything spectacular. Go figure the CRTC screws up a good thing. If you check out the selection south of the border it is awesome.

Netflix isn't controlled by the CRTC. The CRTC announced some 6 days ago that Netflix is not an online broadcaster and therefore is not subject to the CRTC's rules.