PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good far place to go for a big camping trip this summer, any idea's?

Maverick112
02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Somewhere far and has really good pike and walleye fishing, or salmon and trout fishing, please!:)

Kingfisher
02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
You don't say where your from. Also far for you and far for me will surely be 2 different things. I'm in Calgary, so if I were going far for pike and walleye then I'd head to Lesser Slave Lake. But if your from Edmonton then that's not really far at all.

If I'm going far for salmon fishing then I'd got to the Queen Charlotte Islands. Head to Masset and fish for salmon there. You also have the option on either stopping on the way there or on the way back to fish the Skeena River.

If I'm heading out to fish for trout and I want to go far, then I'd head to the Caribou in BC. Some of the best trout fishing can be found in this region.

So depending on what you concider far then these 3 options are where I would concider. All 3 area's have lots of camping throughout.

Rob

Maverick112
02-22-2011, 11:12 AM
thanks, i actually live in Calgary, too. You say Caribou, is that a place? and how many hours is lesser slave lake and does it have good pike fishing? thx

mikeym
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
really good walleye and pike fishing in Alberta? no such thing anymore unless you are willing to go to the far north fly in lakes. there are really good pike lakes and there are really good walleye lakes left but very few lakes with both left in them thanks to a combination of poor management and over fishing of one or the other species.

i would be looking at Northern Sask (Tobin Lake or Meadow Lake area or even up the Hansen Lake Road) or interior BC for some decent fishing and camping options.

rgds
Mike

bubba 96
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
We just got back from the wasa area in bc, and let me tell ya i'll be back, we fished white swan, and preimer lake, and rock lake this area would be great to camp around..white swan has natural hot springs, and the views are wicked..There are prov campgrounds at both lakes......and the rainbows are very healthy, average was around 3lbs....

Maverick112
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
looks like some pretty good places. How long does it take to get there and what did you catch the fish on there? thanks

chubbdarter
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
what is your opinion of....'far' ?

bubba 96
02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
We just got back from the wasa area in bc, and let me tell ya i'll be back, we fished white swan, and preimer lake, and rock lake this area would be great to camp around..white swan has natural hot springs, and the views are wicked..There are prov campgrounds at both lakes......and the rainbows are very healthy, average was around 3lbs....

Took us 5hrs from airdrie to the cabin in wasa....we were using small glow jighead hook with 2 maggots and a pc of corn....mealworms and corn worked as well..come to think of it a guy could probably just use corn.....All caught were rainbows...

SushiUnagi
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
How far is far?

And are you looking for something within AB so you don't need a separate license?

TheYoungFlyFisherman
06-24-2011, 09:55 AM
The Skeena River is an amazing river to camp and fish on for both giant salmon and tons of trout and char. Last July i went up there and when the salmon weren't biting(not very often) I took a willow branch, tied some line and a hook with some roe to it and dropped it in a log jam, pulled out hundreds of trout one after another! Between Terrace and Prince Rupert we have a secret honey hole very tough to find and get to, maybe you will find one of your own!

tyee33
06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Comox, hands down, salmon are actually coming back through the inside passage after years of going around the island, amazing camping, all the amenities right there, Costco, Can Tire... whale watching, eco tours.Campbell River right up the Hiway. Im heading there next week and looking at property to relocate, pulling the camper right to Comox, amazing place!!! :bad_boys_20:

matathonman
06-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Yup, I sure do miss fishing the Caribou in BC. Don't have the drives like here just to get to a lake.