PDA

View Full Version : Optics question ...Tube size and Objective size

Mike_W
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I am looking for some insight on a new scope for my 270WSM.

I was curious as to what has a greater impact on optics in low light.
Is it the objective that gathers light or is it the tube size that allows light to be transfered back to the eye?

I guess my reason for this is I am leaning towards the Zeiss Conquest in 4.5 x 14 x 44/50mm with a one inch tube or a bushnell elite 6500 in 2.5 x 16 x 42/50mm with a 30 mm tube.

I am yet to get to a store that has both options in stock so a side by side comparison has not been completed.

Any thought on these scopes or maybe another recomendation for a great low light scope.

Thanks,
Mike

sheephunter
02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
I am looking for some insight on a new scope for my 270WSM.

I was curious as to what has a greater impact on optics in low light.
Is it the objective that gathers light or is it the tube size that allows light to be transfered back to the eye?

I guess my reason for this is I am leaning towards the Zeiss Conquest in 4.5 x 14 x 44/50mm with a one inch tube or a bushnell elite 6500 in 2.5 x 16 x 42/50mm with a 30 mm tube.

I am yet to get to a store that has both options in stock so a side by side comparison has not been completed.

Any thought on these scopes or maybe another recomendation for a great low light scope.

Thanks,
Mike

Divide the objective lens size by the magnification and if that comes out to more than 5mm there will be no gain in brightness to the average middle-aged shooter. Tube size while in theory can slightly effect brightness, it rarely does in the real world.

209x50
02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Divide the objective lens size by the magnification and if that comes out to more than 5mm there will be no gain in brightness to the average middle-aged shooter. Tube size while in theory can slightly effect brightness, it rarely does in the real world.
True! Quality glass and coatings are far more important than tube size

catnthehat
02-22-2011, 04:44 PM
A bigger tube is advantageous to getting more elevation, but as sheephunter stated, bigger objective lenses doe the most part are trying to make up for inferior quality of glass as far as brightness goes.
My long range scope has a 35MM tube, and has more turretability
( techy term:p)
Than a 3mm or a 1" tube
Cat

sheephunter
02-22-2011, 04:49 PM
A bigger tube is advantageous to getting more elevation, but as sheephunter stated, bigger objective lenses doe the most part are trying to make up for inferior quality of glass as far as brightness goes.
My long range scope has a 35MM tube, and has more turretability
( techy term:p)
Than a 3mm or a 1" tube
Cat

Yuppers and it allows for a greater zoom range as well although Swaro is now getting 5x out of a 1" tube.

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
A Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 with BC reticle in Gunmetal Grey would look sweet on the new Sako m75 Greywolf, or VX2 4-12x40AO with LRD rectile get my vote. Next would be the Zeiss Conquest with Rapid Z reticle. Maybe a Nikon Titanium 3.3-10x44 or 5.5-15x44 scope.

But thats me. Hopefully you can find some Sako Optilock Ringmounts for your new rifle.:sHa_shakeshout:

And NO I wont sell you my set in my gunsafe waiting for a new home on a future Sako m75 project rifle.:scared0018:

berjerkin
02-22-2011, 08:53 PM

I think I read that in a magazine somewhere... :)

Mike_W
02-22-2011, 09:33 PM
A Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 with BC reticle in Gunmetal Grey would look sweet on the new Sako m75 Greywolf, or VX2 4-12x40AO with LRD rectile get my vote. Next would be the Zeiss Conquest with Rapid Z reticle. Maybe a Nikon Titanium 3.3-10x44 or 5.5-15x44 scope.

But thats me. Hopefully you can find some Sako Optilock Ringmounts for your new rifle.:sHa_shakeshout:

And NO I wont sell you my set in my gunsafe waiting for a new home on a future Sako m75 project rifle.:scared0018:

I agree the vx3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 would be sweet in the lrd I was looking on leupolds custom website the matte gunmetal is sweet. (I actually have the exact scope in matte black):)

I also had some success finding the opti-lock ring mounts :sHa_shakeshout: on your 338-06 did you have the ring mounts powder coated to match the gunmetal color? You don't happen to have a line on a gunmetal scope do you?

Thanks for all the info guys!!!
Mike

catnthehat
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
As far as tubes and objectives go, i REALLY like the old stuff better!:sSig_cool2:
Cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/WinHI-Wall3855.jpg

wwbirds
02-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I do believe Leupold has discontinued the gun metal gray color early in 2010. It was in the january 2010 catalogue but gone in the March April edition?

pikergolf
02-22-2011, 09:56 PM
As far as tubes and objectives go, i REALLY like the old stuff better!:sSig_cool2:
Cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/WinHI-Wall3855.jpg

Hey cat what's that thingy hanging off the bottom?

sheephunter
02-22-2011, 10:02 PM
It rests on your palm to steady the rifle.

Mike_W
02-22-2011, 10:48 PM
I do believe Leupold has discontinued the gun metal gray color early in 2010. It was in the january 2010 catalogue but gone in the March April edition?

Yeah I noticed that however you can get a custom made for 100 bucks off there website.....all sorts of colors actually.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike_W
02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
So what is everyones thoughts on larger objective? 40mm vs 50mm is there any light gathering or other qualities that make the 50mm worth while?

I personally don't like the 50mm as the looks and low profile of the 40mm is much more appealing.

Thanks,
Mike

catnthehat
02-23-2011, 06:52 AM
So what is everyones thoughts on larger objective? 40mm vs 50mm is there any light gathering or other qualities that make the 50mm worth while?

I personally don't like the 50mm as the looks and low profile of the 40mm is much more appealing.

Thanks,
Mike
For the most part I prefer a lower profile on a big game hunting rifle, but for a long range varmint or big game rifle it isn't a concern , as long as I can get the elevation I need.
Of the two you are looking at I'd go with the Zeiss.
Cat

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I agree the vx3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 would be sweet in the lrd I was looking on leupolds custom website the matte gunmetal is sweet. (I actually have the exact scope in matte black):)

I also had some success finding the opti-lock ring mounts :sHa_shakeshout: on your 338-06 did you have the ring mounts powder coated to match the gunmetal color? You don't happen to have a line on a gunmetal scope do you?

Thanks for all the info guys!!!
Mike

Yes, Rocky Mountain Rifles powdercoated the rings to match the scope. I might have a line on one still. I was looking for another a little while back. I'll see if its still available. I believe it was 4.5-14x40. I'll get back to you
Later

Homesteader
02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
I'd go with the 40 over the 50mm any day on a hunting rifle. I think you will get a much better cheek weld/eye alignment with a 40 or smaller objective. Top end scopes even with 32mm objs, and smaller will still let you see great well past legal shooting time.

catnthehat
02-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I'd go with the 40 over the 50mm any day on a hunting rifle. I think you will get a much better cheek weld/eye alignment with a 40 or smaller objective. Top end scopes even with 32mm objs, and smaller will still let you see great well past legal shooting time.
Chek weld is a very personal thinh however, and i for one cannot get to far down on the stock, I need my head straighter than some, and other's ;ole matrinbns have very long necks, and te havre much the same problems, depending on the rifle that the scope is mounted on.
cat

Mike_W
02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes, Rocky Mountain Rifles powdercoated the rings to match the scope. I might have a line on one still. I was looking for another a little while back. I'll see if its still available. I believe it was 4.5-14x40. I'll get back to you
Later

Sound good keep me posted!
Did you find the gunmetal scope to match the barrel better than a silver.....I belive you powder coated your barrel too.....what are you thoughts?

Yes I like the lower profile of the 40 mm.

Thanks again guys,
Mike

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Sound good keep me posted!
Did you find the gunmetal scope to match the barrel better than a silver.....I belive you powder coated your barrel too.....what are you thoughts?

Yes I like the lower profile of the 40 mm.

Thanks again guys,
Mike

The guy had 2 and now they are sold. Maybe look into one from Leupold's Custom Shop. They will still do it. Reasonably priced too.

I went with the gunmetal grey because it was different at the time as it sat in my gunsafe waiting for the project and to go with the Greywolf stock color more so. I have a Tikka T3 laminate stainless 270WSM with a silver VX3 scope....looks good. I can post pic if you want.

As for the powdercoated barrel on my 338-06AI, they were only suppose to powdercoat the flutes and bead blast the remainining part of the barrel back to a factory finish. Their mistake..still looks good though!! Personally for your new rifle, I'd leave it AS IS!!!! but thats just me.